Don't Judge a Book by Its Movie. discussion

Book Reviews

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P, aspiring author and bookworm (new)

P (PreethiB) | 27 comments Mod
Here we post book reviews! (duh) You can post good ones or bad ones, but listen to what everyone has to say.

message 2: by P, aspiring author and bookworm (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:52AM) (new)

I really want to recommend the Hunger Games to anyone who has not read it. It is really fast-paced, and the author is a really good writer. She draws you in and explains her made-up world really well. It is my all time favorite book, except for THE BOOK THIEF!!!

message 3: by P, aspiring author and bookworm (new)

The Book Theif is also a really good book, though it can get confusing. It is narrated by Death himself (herself?) and about a girl who hides a Jew (goes well with our Holocaust unit ;P ) Did I mention that I <3 THIS BOOK!?!?!?

message 4: by Frances (last edited Feb 03, 2009 04:31PM) (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) The book A Certain Justice by P.D. James is worth a read.

It's a detective story, the sort of story you can generally just read the first few pages of and then skip to the back, and voila, it's all good, but this book plays more on characters and how everything is resolved.

The author does an amazing job of capturing the personalities of every character, even the minor ones, in a way that ties the entire plot together. More on that, character development is probably the most riveting part of this book, and so if you enjoy that sort of thing, I'd definitely suggest this.

(That was a rather lame review...I shall fix it up sometime.)

message 5: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 30 comments Night by Elie Weseal (I think this is how you spell it).

A book about a guy who has to go through concentration camps. He preactically loses his whole family. He endures hardships and tragedies that most people wouldn't face. The main character of the story was an actual person. Elie Weseal is writing the experience of being in the camp.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Kennedy (Willows) | 5 comments Yeah, me again.lol. I enjoyed reading the Hunger Games. I recommend it to anyone. Catching Fire, the second book, comes out Sept. 8. the cover has been released and the third book is due out in 2010. Can't for the movie, hopefully :)

message 7: by P, aspiring author and bookworm (new)

Oooo there's going to be a second book! And Joon, I really want to read Night since Mrs. Mayson suggested it...but I can't seem to find it anywhere... o well(I think it's Wiesel)

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Kennedy (Willows) | 5 comments Its funny. In addition to reading the City of Ember, which i am half way through, I am also reading The Book Theif. It is at times confusing and I have to put it down for a bit.

message 9: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 30 comments I do have the book P. You can borrow it if you want to.

message 10: by P, aspiring author and bookworm (new)

cool! That would be nice...

message 11: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 30 comments I will try to get it to you.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

They kind of ruined Bridge to Teribithia.

message 13: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 30 comments What do you mean?

message 14: by P, aspiring author and bookworm (new)

The movie, right?

message 15: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 30 comments I never read the book, so I wouldn't know.

message 16: by Shruti (last edited Feb 13, 2009 02:08PM) (new)

Shruti | 11 comments Kathy wrote: "... I am also reading The Book Theif. It is at times confusing and I have to put it down for a bit. "

i agree...it takes time to soak in...tho everyone tells me that it is the last 30 pages that are the best so i pulling threw it(i wonder what ms.mayson would say if she saw my spelling)

message 17: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 30 comments Not really. The Book Thief, in my opinion was a really easy book. No offense to the people out there.