fiction files redux discussion

The Last Trade
This topic is about The Last Trade
Reading Our Own > James Othmer . . . er James Conway's The Last Trade

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Neil McCrea | 204 comments The Last Trade by James Conway

Jim's new book has been released using the pseudonym James Conway. Apparently the publishers feel that fans of his Vonnegut-esque social satire wouldn't dig this economic thriller and vice versa.

I enjoyed the Futurist, loved Holy Water, and I must admit that The Last Trade doesn't sound like it would be my bag. I hope to start this later this week, and I'm betting Jim will be able to keep me engaged despite my feelings toward the subject matter. The question is, will I be engaged and entertained or will it bring out my inner Trotskyite and have me daydreaming about revolution? If he can pull off both, that would be a trick.

message 2: by Hugh, aka Hugh the Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2012 06:23AM) (new)

Hugh | 271 comments Mod
Neil, Don't know if you started it, but I read it recently and thoroughly enjoyed it as a summer thriller. The quick, short chapters that take you from Johannesburg to New York help build the tension but also have a cinematic effect of filling in gaps. Othmer achieves alot with brief, fast-paced writing. You're right there is LESS social satire, but just as writers like William Gibson have found themselves writing about the increasingly-unpredictable, unnavigatable present, a novel about the global economy is kind of its own satire.

message 3: by Matt, e-monk (last edited Sep 10, 2012 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
totally agree with Hugh - pitch perfect thriller with great pacing

message 4: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Patty | 896 comments Mod
I think I'd better move this closer to the top of my stack.

message 5: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
I'm thinking the same thing Patty.

message 6: by Jonathan, the skipper (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. . i couldn't put the fucker down . . . it actually sorta pissed me off, because i had a ton of shit to do that day . . .

message 7: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry (kerryanndunn) | 883 comments Mod
Man, I am behind. I haven't read Holy Water yet!

message 8: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
Let's go Kerry! Catch up! :)

message 9: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Holy Water is really fabulous. I think I liked it even better than the Futurist. I read it almost a year ago, and I still think about it all the time.

message 10: by Jonathan, the skipper (new) - rated it 5 stars

. . . it's meat night!

message 11: by Christopher, Swanny (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christopher Swann (christopherswann) | 188 comments Mod
Holy Water is pretty damn good. The Last Trade was hard for me because I kept comparing it to JPO's other novels, but once I stopped doing that I enjoyed The Last Trade more.

message 12: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Just finished it, loved it. There were a few things that I think are genre things that annoyed me (like explaining the meaning of a technical term more than once, or when different characters discover the same thing seperatly, going over the explanation of what they've discovered again.) Overall, I couldn't put it down.

Question for Conway and Evison, since I thought it was an odd coincidence. Was it just a coincidence that your newest novels both featured the death of a child?

message 13: by Jonathan, the skipper (new) - rated it 5 stars

. . . total coincidence . . . chalk it up to the zeitgeist . . . i just finished j.r. lennon's new book, and it also has the death of a child, and somebody else told me the other day about another new novel with the death of a child . . .