The Writers' Association discussion

Introduce Yourself > Favorite Genre

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L What is your favorite genre to read and/or to write? Do you enjoy chick-lit or young adult, historical or science-fiction, self-help or autobiography - share your tastes with other readers and your passion with other authors.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm, I love fantasy and historical fiction and those are the two genres that I like to write the most. Chick-lit is kind of fun too. Young adult is kind of what most fantasy is these days, so I suppose I like YA too.

message 3: by L (new)

L My favorite genre is fantasy. I adore the old kind of fantasy novels/ series where it is most detailed and lengthy, compared to the more shorter, action-packed fantasy books of today. JRR Tolkien, Anne McCaffrey, Raymond E Feist and Terry Goodkind are some of my favorite authors in this genre who for me cannot be matched.
However there are many current, modern authors who have really impressed me such as Gail Z Martin, Brian Ruckley, Terry Brooks, Brent Weeks and Stephen Erikson who are all very popular. There mix of fast-paced action and drama with a complexs storyline brings their worlds to life.

I have always loved this genre especially as it alows one to dream, and where nothing concidered 'too far-fetched' is overlooked. Dragons, magic, sorcerers and talking creatures are all part of many worlds that for me are as precious as our own. Ones imagination is a gift hence why this genre in particular opens our eyes to all the possibilities.

message 4: by Hemmie (new)

Hemmie Martin (hemmiemartin) Like you, Lucinda, I loved 'Lord of the Rings', but that was the one and only fantasy book I've read.
I loved reading Agatha Christie's novels and I still read an occasional crime novel.
I now read mainly contemporary women's fiction.

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 8 comments I love fantasy. It makes your imagination and creativity go wild. I also love it because anything could happen!

It's nice to escape reality for a while and be in another place.

message 6: by Hemmie (new)

Hemmie Martin (hemmiemartin) I'm clearly writing in the wrong genre! I may have to read a fantasy novel soon to see what I'm missing!

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 8 comments Hemmie wrote: "I'm clearly writing in the wrong genre! I may have to read a fantasy novel soon to see what I'm missing!"

You should! :) Try reading 'Harry Potter' it's a great book so I've heard.

message 8: by Hemmie (new)

Hemmie Martin (hemmiemartin) Althea *Go wolves and dragons!* wrote: "Hemmie wrote: "I'm clearly writing in the wrong genre! I may have to read a fantasy novel soon to see what I'm missing!"

You should! :) Try reading 'Harry Potter' it's a great book so I've heard."

I forgot about Harry Potter. My eldest daughter has read all the Twilight books and plenty of other vampire novels. Perhaps I should sneek into her room and borrow one

message 9: by L (new)

L Dear Hemmie,
I would highly recomend Harry potter as it is a series that all ages can enjoy, whether you are an avid reader of the fantasy genre or not; it is amazing and you may just find yourself very much suprised!
Secondly, I love crime and novels like Agatha Christie (Pirot and Miss. Marple), and also Sir Arthur Conan Doyal who wrote the increadible Sherlock Holmes. I love a good mystery and the crime genre in general is great, with many diverse and interesting authors. Women's fiction and chick-lit is great, hence i would like to recomend a novel to you. I have recently finished reading Carol E Wyer's latest book 'Surfing in Stilettos' Surfing in Stilettos by Carol E. Wyer It is amazing!

Lucinda x

message 10: by Hemmie (new)

Hemmie Martin (hemmiemartin) Hi Lucinda,
Thanks for all your recommendations, I see you also like an eclectic mix of genres.
I will add 'Surfing in Stilettos' to my list of to-read.

Have a peaceful day

Hemmie x

message 11: by L (new)

L Hemmie wrote: "Hi Lucinda,
Thanks for all your recommendations, I see you also like an eclectic mix of genres.
I will add 'Surfing in Stilettos' to my list of to-read.

Have a peaceful day

Hemmie x"

I may be a fantasy fanatic, but i will read almost anything!

message 12: by L (new)

L Alexis wrote: "I love this discussion!

My favorite genre to read and write is epic fantasy, but I read lots of stuff--classics, mysteries, children's lit, YA (not generally my favorite), and some old-fashioned c..."

Alexis,
Have you ever read any works by an author called MK Hume? Her books on Merlin and the Arthurian Legends are amazing. x

Trilogy 1:

Dragon's Child (King Arthur, #1) by M.K. Hume Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2) by M.K. Hume The Bloody Cup (King Arthur, #3) by M.K. Hume

Series 2:
Prophecy Clash of Kings (Merlin, #1) by M.K. Hume Prophecy Death of an Empire by M.K. Hume

message 13: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 20 comments Mod
Hi! I love fantasy, usually YA, both when I'm reading and writing. I love rich cultures and scenic descriptions of land and characters, and most of my favorite books reflect that, I think. Beauty and wonderful characters in a book can win me over better than anything, even if it's not in my favorite genre.

message 14: by Cole (new)

Cole (spectyr333) I like Fantasy of any kind. It is my escapism/ guilty pleasure.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I love fantasy.

message 16: by Cole (new)

Cole (spectyr333) My family and friends say I am addicted (as in interfering with my everyday life kind of addiction, hahaha).

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Alexis - I posted a new roleplay in Experiment if you're interested.

message 18: by Cole (new)

Cole (spectyr333) :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Mystery, Romance, Fantasy Adventure

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Fantasy Adventure is fun, I like Romance if it isn't cheeseballs, and I love Mystery.

message 21: by Cole (new)

Cole (spectyr333) Seems everyone like Fantasy!

message 22: by L (new)

L Alexis wrote: "YAY fantasy!! (Among other things!)"

I second that cheer!

message 23: by L (new)

L Alongside Fantasy fiction, i also enjoy historical (reading more of that lately), Young Adult and literary fiction - which keeps me on my toes!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller