The Writers' Association discussion

Writers workshop > Week one: Short-story

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L For week one we are going to be looking at writing short stories. It is question and answer format so feel free to fire away and ask anything, from layout to punctuation to writing a short-story in general.

*How does one condence an entire storyline into something less than 5,000 words?

*What if the short-story is only a few hundred words?

*Is the plot and layout (with beginning, middle & end) the same in a short-story as to a novel?

Here we can discuss all this and more, plus have a go at writing your own short-stories and entering challenges and writing awards (both online in the WA group and elsewhere).

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 09, 2012 01:32PM) (new)

I would like to know everyone's opinion on romance in short stories. There isn't a lot of time to have the romance build up so I personally don't think it is a very good idea unless you have characters that have already fallen in love or are dating. But I don't think there is enough time for a well-thought-out love story that you can really grasp and connect with.

What do you guys think?

message 3: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments Hey! I don't know why I find it easier to write short stories. I have a short story that is going to be published for christmas, it's just under 5k but it's a love story with a xmas feel to it. I have read romace short stories that have captivated perfectly the process of falling in love. I think it's all to do on how you describe it and where do you start...

message 4: by Valencia (new)

Valencia Cain (IziCain) | 10 comments Writing short stories, i find it pretty difficult because i tend to expand my thoughts and they gradually become longer chapters because i describe too much (more than i maybe should). I have tried to write, but the way i lay it out gives me a the freedom to just write and write. I dont know how to control myself once i begin to write, a librarian suggested i use an alarm. Once the alarm goes off i should read back the chapter and end it as it is. Resuming the story in the next chapter with a different build, but even that failed on me. I kept saying to myself: Just a few more likes, juusttt a feewww mooorreeee.
but then i ended up writing 4 more pages :P
I really need help, and i hope someone will guide me to the not-so-stupid-zone :)

message 5: by L (new)

L I recently wrote a short-story that had to be a maximum of 4,000 words. It was so strange but the story seemed to write itself! (once i had planned the beginning, middle and ending roughly). Once i had finished writing i clicked on the 'word count' and it said 4,000 words exsactly!!

message 6: by Valencia (new)

Valencia Cain (IziCain) | 10 comments Lucinda wrote: "I recently wrote a short-story that had to be a maximum of 4,000 words. It was so strange but the story seemed to write itself! (once i had planned the beginning, middle and ending roughly). Once i..."

Thats amazing, you sure have pure tallent!

message 7: by L (new)

L I just thought that it was funny :) It was suposed to be no more than four thousand words, and i was so sure that i would end up writing too much and having to shorten it. So for it to finish on exsactly the word count was perfect!