YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived Threads > Your opinion on my book cover?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Alright, so I think I have something workable for the cover of my new book. It is the second in the series, and I am switching it way up from the first one based on some feedback from reviewers. However, I'd love some opinions on which cover style you would be more likely to pick up.
http://samanthaboyette.com/book-cover...
Feel free to leave your comments here or there! Thanks!

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments I like it, although you may want to play with the contrast a bit - from some angles on the screen it looked like just a dark square with the title. I do think it is much more intriguing than the faces.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Thanks, hoping a few others will chime in too!

message 4: by Anke (new)

Anke Ok - overall, the cover is too dark for me. Only after moving my laptop this way and that way I was able to see details. If I had to choose between this cover and the one of the previous book - the first one would win.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments thanks, my monitor must be way brighter than most

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) I like it, but like others have said, it's a bit dark. I have to squint while looking at it.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) | 121 comments I agree with the other comments so far, too dark. Otherwise intriguing.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the first one better too, and yeah too dark.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Thanks everyone, I am going to lighten it up right now! Any other thoughts?

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Okay I played with it a bit, hopefully its more visible now? I don't want to make it to light because it's a dark place. the original link will take you there again

message 11: by Kaje (last edited Sep 10, 2012 06:13AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments It's definitely better, and I do like the image, but I would still go lighter or more contrast. You might want to borrow someone's laptop or netbook, if your screen is bright, to check it out.

message 12: by Anke (new)

Anke I'm with Kaje, I think it's still too dark. Have you seen this: The Cat in the Cradle (Loka Legends #1) by Jay Bell ? It's dark, too, but you can see allthe details.

message 13: by Enny (new)

Enny | 8 comments I love the picture but I agree with Kaje, it's still too dark because if viewed in a small size (for example Amazon's thumbnails are 80x115 pixels), readers wouldn't be able to see anything. Another thing I noticed is that the text is too close to the edges. How about this:

message 14: by Anke (last edited Sep 10, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

Anke Enny, that's much better! I like it a lot:)

message 15: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Oh I do like that - you have a great touch!

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) That is much better.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments I do like that! Care if I edit mine to look more like that?

message 18: by Enny (new)

Enny | 8 comments Samantha wrote: "I do like that! Care if I edit mine to look more like that?"

Of course I wouldn't mind! That's why I did it - and cause it was fun. Dunno what software you use, but you need something that lets you lighten up only the middle tones, not the very dark or light ones or the whole picture. If you have problems doing that, just send me the file and I'll do it for you.

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Okay, mine's still maybe a hair darker than the one Enny provided, but I think it's pretty good now!

message 20: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Yeah, I like that now. I do find it a much more interesting cover than the first one, now that it's clear.

message 21: by Anke (new)

Anke This is much better now!

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Thanks for everyone's thoughts and help, especially Enny!

message 23: by Kaje (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:37AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Samantha wrote: "Thanks for everyone's thoughts and help, especially Enny!"

Enny is great with covers - she did a several for me that I really love. She offers cover design for authors if you're ever looking to have someone else do the work for you (although I love what you ended up with here.)

message 24: by Kira (new)

Kira (Kira12) | 8 comments I like the new book cover, I would definitely pick it up if I saw it. I think you should go with it because it's unique. Also, absolutely love the way the streetlamp glow falls over the girls! You don't see that everyday.

message 25: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments It does give much more of an impression of the story and piques my curiosity more than the first one.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie I like the cover, and would be interested by it, but I personally wish the title or your name as at the top. There's so much empty space up there that, to be honest, my eye keeps drifting upwards rather than to where it should be going.

message 27: by Kira (new)

Kira (Kira12) | 8 comments Ya I agree too, my eyes do keep wandering upwards!

message 28: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington (trishaharrington) | 101 comments I think the cover is good. I would maybe brighten it though. Its just if a cover is darker it can put people off. :)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I like Enny's slightly brighter and more 'open' version. I also kinda like that my eye expects there to be more at the top and then there isn't much up there. It makes this book stand out from the crowd that much more.

Um, do we need to read the first book to enjoy this? My wishlist is already too huge... ;)