J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

The Hobbit
This topic is about The Hobbit
The Hobbit > Second Breakfast Day: 21st September

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michael | 447 comments Mod
Here's a link to the Harper Collins website for their Second Breakfast event in celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the publishing of The Hobbit.

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I saw a posting on FB about the Second Breakfasst event. I would love to be able to take part but being at work at that time it would probably be frowned upon.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 79 comments One can always celebrate in one's heart. Take an egg to work! JO

message 4: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L | 132 comments It sounds like a fantastic event, hence i may take the train to London! After breakfast of course i will naturally be very hungry and look forward to a good hearty meal before elevenses and Luncheon...not forgetting having afternoon tea whilst reading my new film-cover copy of The Hobbit!

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 127 comments Mod
I think that we all need more breakfast in our lives! I'll be eating my yogurt and blueberries at my desk.

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) My friends and I are all getting together and having sees cakes and tea. But since it starts in London, is it 11 o'clock London time? Cause that might cause a problem :D

Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "My friends and I are all getting together and having sees cakes and tea. But since it starts in London, is it 11 o'clock London time? Cause that might cause a problem :D"

Just go with 11:00 your local time. I quite like the idea of the "Global Hobbit Wave" - a ripple of Second Breakfasts sweeping the world from one time zone to the next :-D

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) Roger that :D

Calenmarwen | 8 comments So, what is the idea behind this? I always celebrate September 22nd anyway. What are we supposed to do the day before on Second Breakfast Day?

The idea is actually a marketing promotion by Harper Collins Publishers to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the publishing of The Hobbit. Their dedicated Second Breakfast website is here: http://www.hobbitsecondbreakfast.com/

But that doesn't mean we should all go rushing out to buy additional copies of the book, just celebrate the event in our own Hobbitish way :-)

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) I need a copy, but I am holding out for the big illastrated version. SO I can keep it forever and ever and read it to my children and their children after.

message 12: by Michael (last edited Sep 14, 2012 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well, I wouldn't discourage anybody from buying the book, quite the reverse, just not to satisfy the marketing department. An heirloom book is a fine thing :-)

message 13: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L | 132 comments I love the illustrated hardback version of The Hobbit, which i loved reading when i was younger & the illustrations brought the story to life!. It is a wonderful book - my problem with collecting Tolkien's books is that there are so many different cover editions of each book (esp. LOTR) that i end up with 20 of the same book!

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) You say that like there is somehting wrong with that ;D Just kidding, I know what you mean. Can I ask do you know where you got your illustrated version? I saw it once at Borders but then Borders closed and I haven't seen a copy of it since. I tried Amazon but couldn't find the version I wanted.

message 15: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L | 132 comments Oh. My illustrated harback book of 'The Hobbit' i actually did get on amazon (UK).

This is the copy i have:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/02...

I think I'm going to go with a toasted veggie-bacon, cheese and mustard sandwich, with a strong cup of tea. Maybe a little cake as well.

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) Just realized today I am going to be at work that morning, I am so upset. My friends and I had a whole meal planned and now stupid work. I am going to bring a thermos of tea and a little cookie but I am still bummed.

Bummer - I'll be at work, too :-(

Jay-me (Janet) I'll be at work, but have planned 2nd breakfast to tie in with "brew time"
I'm baking some bread tonight(or at least attempting) seed buns (if I have time after rescuing bread attempt) and work colleague is making cheese scones. So hopefully will have a small assortment tomorrow.

Robyn Ellis | 8 comments I'll be in a class where the professor will freak if I start eating something in the middle of his lecture... I guess I'll improvise. I have 24 hours to think of a way to eat Second Breakfast without eating.

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) Hahaha good luck to you Robyn

message 22: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy | 11 comments Will be at work too but can eat at my desk, so I'm planning on a bagel,with chives and cream cheese and a mug of tea and honey! Will think of you all, while I'm enjoying my 2nd breakfast :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

The 21st happens to be my birthday, so I've got a perfect excuse to celebrate.

Lucy wrote: "Will be at work too but can eat at my desk, so I'm planning on a bagel,with chives and cream cheese and a mug of tea and honey! Will think of you all, while I'm enjoying my 2nd breakfast :)"

Oh, that sounds like a good 2B!

Logan wrote: "The 21st happens to be my birthday, so I've got a perfect excuse to celebrate."

Happy birthday, Logan :-)

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) Happy birthday!

message 26: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L | 132 comments Second Breakfast Day-
The Hobbit *what an amazing book*

Whilst in deep thought imagining tales of Trolls turning to stone, of Gold and Golden Dragons and of perilous quests, i sit eating a second breakfast consisting of toast with marmalade and a cup of tea.

I had my second breakfast, but was then too full to eat my lunch. Appearances to the contrary, I'm obviously not a hobbit!

message 28: by Stefan (last edited Sep 21, 2012 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 127 comments Mod
I had a tasty second breakfast of yogurt with blueberries and Andy Capp's Cheddar Fries! I'll probably hold off a bit on lunch, but in true Hobbit fashion, I will definitely not skip it.

After that, it's just Tea, Dinner and Supper to go for today!

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) I had burnt snickerdoodles, bacon and hot chocolate for second breakfast, and then went on the eat a full lunch. I think I have hobbit roots somewhere :D

I quoted the first three paragraphs of the hobbit from memory just to top it off.

message 30: by Bev (new)

Bev (bwdiaz) | 4 comments My daughters and I shared some lemon scones I baked for the occasion with chicken apple sausages and tea. They liked it a lot and we read a little bit of the book. What a sweet activity. Of course we do an annual Baggins Birthday Party which will be tomorrow but since I'm raising girls who love Tolkien I didn't think they'd mind two things in a row!

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I was pleasantly surprised by my daughter bringing by elevensies at work today. :)

message 32: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L | 132 comments I was also quite full after my second breakfast, hence i must then conclude that i am not a Hobbit! :)

Jay-me (Janet) Quite a few full people after second breakfast ;) - I was another one. I have put an account and photos on my blog if anyone is interested.

http://2pdesignskindle.blogspot.co.uk...

message 34: by Bev (new)

Bev (bwdiaz) | 4 comments Happy Hobbit Day!

Jay-me (Janet) ~plum chutney is best~ wrote: "Quite a few full people after second breakfast ;) - I was another one. I have put an account and photos on my blog if anyone is interested..."

That looked like quite a spread, Janet!

Calenmarwen | 8 comments Like most people I was also at work, but as my co-worker was another Tolkien fan, we had coffee and chocolatey goodies for Second Breakfast, and got around being too full for lunch by having very late lunch breaks! :)

message 37: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L | 132 comments Jay-me (Janet) ~plum chutney is best~ wrote: "Quite a few full people after second breakfast ;) - I was another one. I have put an account and photos on my blog if anyone is interested.

http://2pdesignskindle.blogspot.co.uk......"

Yummy! It sounds like you had a great time, and that it was also a good oportunity to spread the word about 'the hobbit' to those who have not read it.

Kathryn | 7 comments I had my L's test that day and what time did I book it? 11 o'clock, but then we went out for pancakes, so I still had my second breakfast. A good day.