The Writers' Association discussion

Writing Awards & Challenges > Writers Awards - amateur/ unpublished writers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L Here is a list of current awards that are for unpublished and amateur writers, who aspire to great things. Some may be international whilst others may be restricted to specific country's only.

Feel free to add to this thread if you know of any writing awards taking place, and if there is a fee or it is free to enter.

message 2: by L (new)

L The COSTA Book Awards (which used to be The Whitbred Writers Awards) has decided this year to host a UK ONLY short-story award for ALL writers- both professionals and amateurs. You do not have to be published to enter, but they do have very strict rules about layout, editing, length and how to send it to them.

Link:
http://www.costabookawards.com/short-...

If you are an author who has a short-story you wish to see more than just published, then entering it for an award like this is a great way to get it noticed and publisize it. If you are a keen writer then the award too could be a great challenge, and stepping stone to sucsess.

message 3: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments Hey! this is really cool, thanks lucinda!

message 4: by L (new)

L Eva wrote: "Hey! this is really cool, thanks lucinda!"

I shall keep updating these sections on awards and contests for all writers; whether you are professional or amateur, and keep an eye open to what's new.

message 5: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments I ust checked this one out and it's closed! bummer! It's a really good prize!

message 6: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments There's this one, you can summit short stories or flash fiction, there's a competition every month, but you have to pay 5 pounds to join.
http://www.cazart.co.uk/

message 7: by L (new)

L Eva wrote: "I ust checked this one out and it's closed! bummer! It's a really good prize!"

Yes, it has just closed :( I did enter this year (and so am keeping my fingers crossed), but hopefully if it is popular then they will run it next year too!

message 8: by L (new)

L Do you like Horse Racing?? Are you a UK resident and a budding writer?? Would you like to enter a FREE award?!

Link: http://www.willswritingawards.co.uk/

The Annual Racing writing awards: The Martin Wills Memorial Trust, a UK-registered charity, promotes annual awards for creative writing by young people around a horseracing theme.

The results of the 2012 Awards-the 20th-were announced on 18 April 2012, when the prizes were presented at Newmarket Racecourse. Entries for the 2013 Awards open on 5 January 2013.

The Trust commemorates Martin Wills, a journalist and amateur jockey who died in April 1992, aged 39

The Awards:
•There are three Awards - for under 26s, under 19s and under 15s.

•The Awards are for creative writing (fact or fiction) around a horseracing theme.

•Particular importance will be attached to originality, style of language and entertainment.

•Quality of writing is key; a detailed knowledge of horseracing is unnecessary.

•The maximum wordcounts are 1,200 (under 26/19s) and 800 (under 15s).

•Prizes total £3,125 plus the opportunity (for some) to be published in the racing press and to have work experience at the Racing Post.

message 9: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments Lucinda wrote: "Eva wrote: "I ust checked this one out and it's closed! bummer! It's a really good prize!"

Yes, it has just closed :( I did enter this year (and so am keeping my fingers crossed), but hopefully if..."

well done! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!

message 10: by L (new)

L Thank you Eva! It is the scariest thing i have ever entered, as i know that my work will be judged alongside professional and published writers also. It was a good challenge and one that i found greatly motivating and inspiring.

message 11: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments well i'm sure you did amazing, but don't get too depressed if you didn't win, it's not really fair to articipate with professional writers, so if you haven't, at least you know to try harder the next time.
I know it sounds silly but I try to join easier ones so I can build up my confidence. Although it's the first place to start your writing cv, better for when you need to sell your book to an agent.

message 12: by L (new)

L There will be hundreds of entries and only 6 finalists, so i do not hold out much hope! Any writing challenge or contest (preferably with a deadline) i find is a great motivator to write.