Great African Reads discussion

Contemporary Lit | Planning > Contemporary: Short Stories & Poetry & Plays (Sep 2012)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
Please suggest books for this genre. Remember that authors must be African. Setting does not matter.

message 2: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Tinea (pist) | 394 comments Mod
Plays by Wole Soyinka

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments An Elegy for Easterly - Petina Gappah

message 4: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Keep the suggestions coming!

i need to sort through some things, and then i'll add some too. but for now, i'll suggest The Granta Book of the African Short Story.

Millicent, I'll add plays to the thread title. :)

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Say You're One of Them - Uwem Akpan

African Roar: An Electic Anthology of African Writers - Ivor Hartmann (editor) - 11 stories of the very best published in a literary ezine dedicated to publishing African writers.

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 205 comments Voice of America, by E C Osundu

Any of the Caine prize anthologies - which come out every year.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:10AM) (new)

For Francophone readers: Une suite à Moroni Blues, which has the added advantage of being from Comoros. I bought my copy at Amazon.fr, but as I am not a strong reader of French, it awaits some peaceful week with a dictionary.

message 8: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Okay...we have more suggestions here than i realized and I will be creating a poll for January soon...Does anyone have any more suggestions?

i'll add:

Home Away

News From Home: Short Stories

message 9: by Monika (new)

Monika (vitabuvizuri) | 9 comments Poetry- Song of Lawino by Okot p'Bitek, and song of Ocol. I Read these in school loved them.

message 10: by Muphyn (last edited Nov 25, 2012 02:55AM) (new)

message 11: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

i just double-checked the plan, and this is the genre we will read first so i will set up a poll shortly...does anyone have more suggestions? i will check the Master List we started this year to see if we have some listed there. i feel like we do...like, i'm pretty sure Sefi Atta has a book of short stories.

message 12: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

oh, and Chris Abani for poetry.

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Marieke wrote: "i just double-checked the plan, and this is the genre we will read first so i will set up a poll shortly...does anyone have more suggestions? i will check the Master List we started this year to se..."

Yes, she does - it is listed above in this thread - News From Home:Short Stories

message 14: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

silly me, thanks Beverly!

message 15: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

message 16: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

What would you guys think of choosing one poetry collection or play AND one short story collection when we are "studying" this genre? or should it be just one or the other?

message 17: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

The official winner is Say You're One of Them!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 124 comments Marieke wrote: "The official winner is Say You're One of Them!"
There are multiple copies available on paperbackswap.com, if anyone else uses that site. I already requested mine!

message 19: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Marieke wrote: "The official winner is Say You're One of Them!"

Yeah - I have this book sitting on my self unread - now will plow through my shelves to find. :)

message 20: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Another book to add to the list that will be published at the beginning of May 2013

Love Is Power, or Something Like That by A. Igoni Barrett - this is his 2nd short story collection

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Cayeux Marieke wrote: "Please suggest books for this genre. Remember that authors must be African. Setting does not matter."

i am new so I don't know whether you have already discussed that book.I have just read it and I have really enjoyed reading it. A travelogue but NOT a travel guide book! full of humour. Entertaining and reflective. A good read during vacations. LOOKING FOR TRANSWONDERLAND - TRAVELS IN NIGERIA. by NOO SARO-WIWA

Apologies if you have all already heard about it and read it.
Sophie

message 22: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Hi Sophie and welcome!

That book was actually our selection for May, in the narrative non-fiction category. We have a thread for it and it would be great if you would join us over there:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

:)

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Cayeux Sorry Marieke but I am still very lost in Goodreads...it looks like an unsurmountable labyrinth to me still...I hope to improve soon....

message 24: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Sophie wrote: "Sorry Marieke but I am still very lost in Goodreads...it looks like an unsurmountable labyrinth to me still...I hope to improve soon...."

no problem, i totally understand. i happily redirect. any time you need help finding something, just give a holler! :)