Great African Reads discussion

Contemporary Lit | Planning > Contemporary: Speculative Fiction (Sep 2012)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
please suggest books that could be read for this genre. Remember the author MUST be African. Setting does not matter.

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Who Fears Death - Nnedi Okorafor

Zoo City - Lauren Beukes

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Under the Frangipani - Mia Couto

Tale of the Blue Bird - Nii Ayikwei Parkes

Search Sweet Country - B. Kojo Laing (Kojo Laing)

The Heart of Redness - Zakes Mda (it has elements of speculative fiction so I placed in this category as not a full list that meets the criteria for this category)

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya_) | 4 comments I've been lurking for ever, so feel like a bit of a fraud for jumping straight in but how about South African authors

Joan De La Haye - Shadows

S.L. Grey - The Mall

message 5: by Cindy (last edited Sep 18, 2012 11:44PM) (new)

Cindy (newtomato) | 10 comments Utopia by أحمد خالد توفيق/ Ahmed Khaled Towfik (Egypt)

I might come back with one or two more once I have a chance to think on it. :)

message 6: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Tanya wrote: "I've been lurking for ever, so feel like a bit of a fraud for jumping straight in but how about South African authors

Joan De La Haye - Shadows

S.L. Grey - The Mall"

awww! this exercise will be great if it bringers lurkers out. ;)

great suggestions, thank you!

message 7: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Cindy wrote: "Utopia by أحمد خالد توفيق/ Ahmed Khaled Towfik (Egypt)

I might come back with one or two more once I have a chance to think on it. :)"

YES!

yes to this book and yes to finding more!

i'm glad to see a list shaping up here.

message 8: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Can I ask a stupid question? I'm not sure what falls under speculative fiction... SciFi?? Fantasy?? Uptopian/dystopian??

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Definitely not a "stupid" question as many have argued to degine the sub-categories of speculative fiction as sci fi v fantasy.

I would say it does as so many novels nowadays is blended genres that it is easier to use the broad definition.

Speculative fiction is an umbrella term encompassing the more fantastical fiction genres, specifically science fiction, fantasy, horror, weird fiction, supernatural fiction, superhero fiction, utopian and dystopian fiction, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction, and alternate history in literature as well as related static, motion, and virtual arts.[1]

a broad literary genre encompassing any fiction with supernatural, fantastical, or futuristic elements

message 10: by Muphyn (last edited Nov 25, 2012 03:33AM) (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Wow, ok, thanks for making that clearer, Beverly! :) Now my next question will be what "weird fiction" is... that just sounds weird... ;) (I'm sure Wikipedia will have an entry...)

I don't think I've read anything by an African author that falls under 'speculative fiction'. Will be good to get to this genre next year!

message 11: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Muphyn wrote: "Wow, ok, thanks for making that clearer, Beverly! :) Now my next question will be what "weird fiction" is... that just sounds weird... ;) (I'm sure Wikipedia will have an entry...)

I don't think I..."

Sometimes I wonder why all of these genre and sub-genre classifications and who are they really for, because as a reader I just want a good well-written enjoyable story. :)

Weird fiction is a subgenre of speculative fiction written in the late 19th and early 20th century. It can be said to encompass the ghost story and other tales of the macabre. Weird fiction is distinguished from horror and fantasy in that it predates the niche marketing of genre fiction. Because genre or stylistic conventions had not been established, weird tales often blend the supernatural, mythical, and even scientific. British authors who have embraced this style have often published their work in mainstream literary magazines even after American pulp magazines became popular.[1] Popular weird fiction writers included H. P. Lovecraft,[2] Lord Dunsany,[3] Arthur Machen,[4], M. R. James[5], and Clark Ashton Smith.

Although "weird fiction" is chiefly a historical description for works through the 1930s, the term has also been used since the 1980s, sometimes to describe slipstream fiction that blends horror, fantasy, and science fiction.

Slipstream is a kind of fantastic or non-realistic fiction that crosses conventional genre boundaries between science fiction, fantasy, and mainstream literary fiction.

The term slipstream was coined by cyberpunk author Bruce Sterling in an article originally published in SF Eye #5, in July 1989. He wrote: "...this is a kind of writing which simply makes you feel very strange; the way that living in the twentieth century makes you feel, if you are a person of a certain sensibility." Slipstream fiction has consequently been referred to as "the fiction of strangeness," which is as clear a definition as any of the others in wide use. Science fiction authors James Patrick Kelly and John Kessel, editors of Feeling Very Strange: The Slipstream Anthology, argue that cognitive dissonance is at the heart of slipstream, and that it is not so much a genre as a literary effect, like horror or comedy.[1]

Slipstream falls between speculative fiction and mainstream fiction. While some slipstream novels employ elements of science fiction or fantasy, not all do. The common unifying factor of these pieces of literature is some degree of the surreal, the not-entirely-real, or the markedly anti-real.

message 12: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Well, I think I'm with you there - give me a good story and let's stick to the very broad genre categories and that'll do me. :-) But thanks for the explanation, it's certainly weird... :)

message 13: by Muphyn (last edited Nov 27, 2012 04:55AM) (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Christian wrote: "Last Night on Mars
Hello. This is my science fiction entry - 'Last Night on Mars.' It's proper, exciting, futuristic and maybe even thought provoking stuff. When writing this..."

Hi Christian,

Always good to hear from new authors, and I take it you were born in Africa (I had a quick look on your website)? If so, we can certainly include your book in the selection for speculative fiction but it's probably best to publish posts like yours in the GAR authors section. We can create a thread for you or if you like you can do that yourself to post about your book there.

In this thread, it's probably best to restrict yourself to a link to your book. :)

message 14: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Christian, Muphyn is in Australia so it will be a few hours yet before she sees your post. I think you could simply edit it and maybe move some of your more introductory info to our Welcome thread so that members will be more aware of who you are. Your work clearly fits the scope of this project, so i don't want to totally delete your post, if that makes sense...

And generally, all members, please reach out to me or Muphyn if you have a problem with another person's post. Thanks!

message 15: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Well, okay then. But we should add Last Night on Mars to our books to consider for our speculative fiction choices. :)

message 16: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

This will be our featured genre in March, but i'd like to set the poll up shortly after we poll for our February selection, so please submit any more suggestions you have ASAP!

message 17: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments I'm really looking forward to this genre, I don't think I've ever read anything of the kind yet.

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather Fineisen Is there anything of the kind? not finding much...

message 19: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Besides the books listed above in the thread - here are a couple more.

AfroSF: Science Ficton by African Writers - Ivor W. Hartman (editor)
AfroSF is the first ever anthology of Science Fiction by African writers only that was open to submissions from across Africa and abroad. It is comprised of original (previously unpublished) works only, from stellar established and upcoming African writers: Nnedi Okorafor, Sarah Lotz, Tendai Huchu, Cristy Zinn, Ashley Jacobs, Nick Wood, Tade Thompson, S.A. Partridge, Chinelo Onwualu, Uko Bendi Udo, Dave de Burgh, Biram Mboob, Sally-Ann Murray, Mandisi Nkomo, Liam Kruger, Chiagozie Fred Nwonwu, Joan De La Haye, Mia Arderne, Rafeeat Aliyu, Martin Stokes, Clifton Gachagua, and Efe Okogu.

War of Times:The Gods of Time by Lun

Waiting For the Barbarians - JM Coetzee

message 20: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

again i have to apologize for the delay, but i am finally getting this poll set up. entering all the suggestions into the randomizer right now...will poll the top five from the randomizer.

message 21: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

to get everyone excited, maybe, i found this blog about Africa in science fiction which looks super interesting.

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) | 10 comments I'm pretty excited!

message 23: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Yay!

message 24: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments One more day to have your say in next month contemporary lit selection! Get in and vote! :)

message 25: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 I read a book recently that falls into this category.

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor was an amazing read and supposed to be the first in a series.

message 26: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Sally906 wrote: "I read a book recently that falls into this category.

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor was an amazing read and supposed to be the first in a series."

Yes, Akata Witch was a wonderful read and I am looking forward to the next book in the series. And I should say I enjoyed despite being YA.