British Literature discussion

Current Book Discussions > Vanity Fair

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (last edited Feb 06, 2009 08:26PM) (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
Today we begin reading Vanity Fair.

message 2: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawna638) | 171 comments Mod
I didn't realize how long this book is! My copy is actually over 800 pages and I'm not even half way through. There's a lot of commentary, which is probably why the book is so long. The story itself is okay, but you have to get through all the commentary to even get to the story. Was this style of writing popular at the time? I find it kind of annoying, at least in this book.

message 3: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Ok, I'm opting out this month because of the size of the book and I already have too many on my plate. I will agree with the commentary thing. I've read quite a few from this era that seem to have this need to commentate instead of letting their story do it for them! It drives me crazy too! :)

message 4: by Shawna (new)

Did anybody else read the book? Do you think Rebecca is innocent like she says she is?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes, I read it. I don't think Becky Sharp was innocent for a minute. The first clue of that was when she was leaving school and launched the gift book out the window of her carriage. How can you trust anyone who mistreats a book? ;)

Please don't give up because it's long, unless you really hate Victorian literature. The interwoven story is really gratifying (after it's over, of course). But I find that true of most Vic.lit.

~Happy reading!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

PS: Shawna, do you mean Rebecca from the du Maurier book or Becky from Vanity Fair? The other Rebecca was very innocent and remained so, in my opinion. But she does grow and come into her own.

message 7: by Shawna (new)

Becky from Vanity Fair. She's definitely no angel and she's taken advantage of everybody she's known, but when she claims her innocence, I think she's referring to sexual relationships with other men. Becky got attention from a lot of men, but part of me believes her (or maybe I just want to believe that she has good in her) when she says she's innocent. By the way, I don't recommend the movie version with Reese Witherspoon. It really sucked.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh that's funny. I didn't believe she was innocent in THAT sense until I saw Reese Witherspoon say she was innocent. LOL!! Do you think Reese has the inside scoop on that? I wonder what her literary advisors told her. :) I remember the big walk-out scene wasn't the same as I pictured it in the book, and I wondered if I didn't get it at the time.

message 9: by Shawna (new)

I actually can't remember anything from the movie, except a scene where Reese Witherspoon is dressed up and dancing. I guess it was supposed to be the play/charades scene?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book last year. I enjoyed it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

That dancing scene kind of blew my mind. Do you think that was over-hyped or what? I keep trying to compare it with the morally questionable play they were trying to produce in Mansfield Park, and it makes me wonder how elaborate these home productions really were. Do you think all the jiggling and shaking that Reese was doing would have been highly scandalous or normal role-play?

Things that make ya go hmmmmmm.