Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Anime > Anime/Manga Conventions

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Have you ever been to a convention? Are you going to one in the future? Post about it here!

message 2: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2022 comments Mod
Cons are a lot of fun. :) I like to dress up for them. Usually I do a lolita cosplay (think Victorian china doll). The costumes are probably my favorite part, next to artist alley and the dealer's room.

My college actually hosts a free one once a semester. If you're interested and in the area, it's November 3-4 at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I've always wanted to got to a convention! I always just miss them! I never know about them until they are over :( I've got some friends who go to cons sometimes. I'll have to ask them if I can tag along next time.

message 4: by Selena (new)

Kristen wrote: "I've always wanted to got to a convention! I always just miss them! I never know about them until they are over :( I've got some friends who go to cons sometimes. I'll have to ask them if I can tag..."

animecons.com lists all the cons and their dates. :)

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments That's really helpful! Thanks, Selena!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I simply just never have the money to go. There's also one slight problem for me: I have an intense hatred for crowds, so I don't know if I'd be able to truly have fun. Although, I do just fine at the Sakura Matsuri here, and they always have quite a few people attend (that one's free). I guess I'd have to ask about how crowded cons usually get.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Wednesday wrote: "I simply just never have the money to go. There's also one slight problem for me: I have an intense hatred for crowds, so I don't know if I'd be able to truly have fun. Although, I do just fine at ..."

I'm not good with crowds either. All the jostling? No thank you. But in the end, it probably worth it. I'd love to see all the different costumes and meet artists and voice actors and stuff.

message 8: by Selena (new)

I've never had much trouble with jostling at the cons I go to, but I think part of that is that the venues are big enough and the people polite enough that it's not too big an issue. Sometimes it's bad with the lines, though.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments I go to Otakon regularly and been to Anime Boston a few times. Like Selena I've found people usually polite and jostling isn't really an issue. Crowding is sometimes(especially at Otakon - smallish walkways + people stopping to take pictures of cosplayers every 15 feet = lots of slow moving) but you get used to it. Yeah, lines can definitely get pushy for big events (and at the larger cons there's a line for everything).

Next up is New York Comiccon in a few weeks. They had a separate one for anime for a couple years but have combined them now.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments Spent most of this weekend at New York Comic Con. Was a lot of fun but insanely crowded this year (orders of magnitude more so than in the past). It's definitely growing in popularity, as it sold out completely before the con and weekend passed were sold out over a month ago, which is earlier than normal. The crowd was worse (density-wise) then I have ever seen at Otakon, which is saying something.

Anime and manga booths were all mixed in with everything else this year. On the one hand it's nice to see them treated equally and have manga publishers next to the big American comic ones, etc. On the other hand it was much easier to find them when anime and manga had it's own section in the back.

Tons going on though and got to meet a bunch of authors and artists. I hate it when things get this crowded but it was worth putting up with (and people were extremely well behaved and polite considering it was almost shoulder to shoulder in the exhibition hall).

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I am so jealous! I wish I could go to Comic Con. When I saw the list of all the people who had booths at the San Diego Comic Con, I just about died with jealousy for all of the people who had gone. One of my life goals is to have enough money to take a trip out to Comic Con.

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments I'm insanely lucky to live in the NYC area in a lot of respects. If you can manage attending at some point it'd definitely be worth the trip. Doubt I'll ever make it out to San Diego Comic Con, but I'm more than happy with the cons I can make it to and have had a blast every single time I've gone to one.

message 13: by Shu (new)

Shu Ying | 9 comments I'm going to 1 soon.
Anime Festival Asia
It will be my first time going :D

message 14: by Selena (new)

Shu wrote: "I'm going to 1 soon.
Anime Festival Asia
It will be my first time going :D"

I hope you have a lot of fun! Let us know what was there. :)

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 3 comments Anime USA is coming to DC Nov.9-11! Kyaa! I simply cannot wait. I don't have the money for cosplay, though. T-T

message 16: by Shu (new)

Shu Ying | 9 comments Selena wrote: "Shu wrote: "I'm going to 1 soon.
Anime Festival Asia
It will be my first time going :D"

I hope you have a lot of fun! Let us know what was there. :)"

Thanks. Definitely :D

message 17: by Hanako (new)

Hanako Tachibana (otakusakura) | 13 comments I eacently went to the Anime Island convention in Hobart, Tasmania. I'm planning to go to the Supernova convention in Melbourne so I can meet VIC MIGNOGNA (cue Tamaki sparkles)

message 18: by Keely (new)

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 26 comments I have been to one convention and it was the MCM Expo in London about 2 years ago. I would love to go again but I need to find some friends who will join me.

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments Will be at Otakon this weekend. Missed it last year so am really looking forward to it. :)

message 20: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments How was Otakon Mike? I wanted to go this year, but I did not make it. I heard they are moving Otakon from Baltimore to Washington DC in 2017. So hopefully I make it to Baltimore next year.

message 21: by Mike (last edited Aug 18, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Mike | 389 comments A lot of fun! Friends of mine run the Jeopardy style Otakon Game Show so I helped with that Fri night. Mostly hung out with friends in the dealer's room, artist alley and the video game room on Sat and Sun. Found some great artists and got a couple prints.

Unfortunately didn't get to see Wolf Children, but I knew that premiere would be swamped and likely fill quick. Checked out the first few eps of Ground Control to Psychoeletric Girl, which was very weird but I enjoyed.

I actually missed the announcement that they're officially leaving Baltimore in 2017 (there were alot of rumors during the con) until now. Disappointing in a way but honestly the crowds are getting insane and the con really has outgrown the BCC.

message 22: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments Just back from Otakon 2014. Another great con. Some management issues made things less than ideal (and very annoying) at times but overall staff was trying their best and there was more good than bad.

Sat in on several interesting panels: Light Novel Translation, a Castlevania Retrospective, Visual Novels and Psychology, and Cosplay and Identity. Picked up some cool art and the Otakon Game Show went well and was a lot of fun to help with.

message 23: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 37 comments I have been to quite a few conventions, though these years I barely go, only to the biggest one in my country. Why? Most cons here are 1 day cons and I just don't feel like travelling far away and a lot of times 1 day cons are pretty much boring after a few hours.

So the last one I went to was in June, and is called Animecon. It was really great fun, 3 days of anime, manga and music (they had Origa and Kotoko!). Can't wait for next year, they are really improving, especially with their musical artists. From not-that-known bands to great stars and 2 years ago they changed location so they have heaps of room now.