The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

Series 7 > Dinosaurs on a Spaceship ~ SPOILERS AHEAD

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually liked this episode more than Asylum of the Daleks. But actually, you can't really compare them because a DW season is like finding and building a house. The opener is just the lot that you buy, setting the scene for what's to come.

My Thoughts:
1. I loved Nefertiti. She reminded me of a more take-charge Donna. (If there is such a thing!) And at the end where she just totally takes out Soloman? I was thinking, "You go girl!" It was pretty epic.

2. I can't believe that the Doctor actually committed murder. He totally just killed Soloman without a second thought. It was so unlike him. Now yes, people die but he doesn't outright kill them! You might say, well Soloman did commit genocide against the Silurians. But is murder ever justified? I think the Doctor is changing because now the Doctor murders a person and is totally and completley serious?

3. The Silurains "came back". More were referenced really. I was just thinking, that's a bit random. I guess it was Moffat's way of tying up the whole, "In 1000 years we shall return and share the planet peaefully." agreement. I think they only mentioned the Silurians 5ish times though. Either they should've been really truly in the plot or not mentioned at all. Yes they were in the plot, but not as often as I would've liked.

4. Rory's Dad. I really wish my Dad was like Brian. It really gave us an insight about their characters. Brian keeps tools in his pockets, Rory keeps medical supplies. They both carry things that are true to them and both tools and medical supplies fix things and solve problems. That's Rory's role and it was nice to see the relationship as well. Especially the part when they were flying the ship togther? They had the same look of "THIS IS SO FUN!" and "WHY ARE WE DOING THIS WE DONT KNOW HOW TO FLY A SPACESHIP!!"

5. The tension between Amy and Rory is still a bit there but it's loosened up a lot. The moods Rory and Amy are in really control the episode. (Maybe that's why Asylum of the Daleks wasn't my favorite.) Since they were loosened up, the whole episode was looser leading to a whole lot of fun.

6. The dinosaurs in general. I liked them personally. They were just a fun, random, Moffat-y addition that livened up the episode as well.

7. As for the robots. Oh the robots! They were commical, I could give them that, but otherwise, I didn't really see their purpose except when one of them shot Rory's Dad. The episode could've gone without them, but with them, they didn't really make a difference in my mind except for their odd voices and strange humour.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
I liked it for the most part, but on the general scale of things was just about average. A couple of the fun little things you mentioned. #4 Rory's Dad Brian always carrying a "trowel" and #7 Solomon's robot guards were SOOOOOOOOO Douglas Adams.

I'm glad they made Nefertiti a strong character and not a weak screamer. For the most part the "weak screamers" are only in Classic Who.

The Dinosaurs were fun. I almost thought they would be a slightly bigger plot or in a strange twist of things (which they briefly thought about in the episode when they were discussing why/how the dinosaurs were on board the ship) that they would be the ones who originally controlled the ship. There is a Star Trek (Original Series) book about some intelligent dinosaurs, I think they were raptor type dinos, who space-travel I think it was book #75 "First Frontier".

I wish they had spent more time on the Silurians, which is odd for me because in the Original Series I wasn't a huge fan of them. When they were brought back with the current series they were made more interesting and I like them more now.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian Wrote: "I wish they had spent more time on the Silurians"

I totally agree. They just mentioned them, then just kind of left it hanging after the whole genocide scene. It left me feeling disappointed. I think Moffat was slacking, just using this as a chance to wrap up the whole "come back in 1000 years to share Earth" ordeal.

message 4: by Zohal (new)

Zohal | 202 comments For me, I immensely enjoyed this episode. It was one of those fun, gentle but explosive episodes that you get in Doctor Who.

One thing I liked was the fact that the Doctor is changing. I think this may be because once again most of the time he is travelling alone. And travelling alone for The Doctor is not a good thing because he changes immensely sometimes for the worst.

So I can't wait till *A town called Mercy* so that Amy can knock some sense into The Doctor.

I also liked the fact that the person who was playing Rory's dad also played Arthur Weasley (I'm also a potterhead)

I felt kind of sad for him when Amy and Rory left back for Earth since he will once again become lonely.

Also Neferettiti is AWESOME !!! She is bad-ass and she is all I'm not your possession just because I'm a female.

Go NEFE !!!!

message 5: by Janeen-san (last edited Sep 09, 2012 04:14PM) (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments MY thoughts:

The Doctor brought that American dude; I can't even remember his name so that goes to show how much I care about him, lol, and Nefertiti along on the mission. He said he had a "gang", which, I think, didn't suit him at all. As far as I can see, the American and Nefe weren't really characters, they were more of plot devices, just conveniently there when the Doctor needed them. I didn't care about them at all; the audience had no background on them and it would've helped if they were shown or mentioned in the past so we had some connection to them. I could care less about Nefertiti. I was kind of surprised and disappointed how she ended up with the American in the end. How come the Doctor didn't even mention how important it was that she stay in her own time?!
I didn't like how, in the beginning, she was trying to seduce the Doctor. He isn't Indiana Jones, kissing everyone girl meets or saves! The Doctor doesn't even like stuff like that; but, irritatingly, as soon as Ten regenerates he's suddenly kissing Amy, River, and disgustingly, Rory. WHY did they have to do that? It wasn't funny at all. The actor isn't gay and neither is the Doctor's character! Frankly, that's Jack Hartness's job. When Jack kissed Nine, he shrugged it off as if to groan, 'Humans!' Ten would do anything to get Jack to stop flirting. Then, we have Eleven. WHAT. EW. I said that my respect and appreciation for the Doctor had moved up in "Asylum of the Daleks", but now, its disappointingly back to where it was.
Well, kind of. I loved that short conversation between Amy and the Doctor; it had a very ominous prophecy ring about it:
The Doctor: I'll be here until the end of you.
Amy: or vesa verse.
The Doctor: Don't.
That was amazing and scary, and my favorite part of the episode. I loved the Doctor's serious expression, and when he eyed Amy at the end of the episode while Brian is looking at the Earth. (I also liked the Doctor's comment about a Christmas list, lol.)
I really wish the Eleventh Doctor got serious more often. It's chilling and definitely not to be missed. I really liked it when he killed that trader; I was glad to see his dark side come out and wish it did so more often. It's like a wave of coldness is pouring off him, and we get reminded who, and just how old, the Doctor is. That trader completely deserved to die.
I like the concept of dinosaurs on a spaceship, but I was and am still very confused on how they got there and what the Silirons had to do with it. If they were put into hypersleep or whatever it was called for a thousand years, how did they wake up in the future and discover dinosaurs? Where did all the humans go? WHY were the dinos on a ship? Where was it going? I really wished something as IMPORTANT as that had been clarified more. The ending of the episode left me with the bad kind of "What?" with that postcard of dinos with 'Silura' on it. Surly the Doctor would go into the past and deposit them back on Earth?
However, I liked the brief moment of loneliness shone in Eleven's eyes just before he drops them off--again, I wish it was shone more. Amy wants to stay home for ten months, and its like a chilly draft drifts into the Doctor's heart at her words. I liked that part.
On the whole, I liked the episode. It was pretty good, but I favored the emotional ending of Episode One over this one. I look eagerly forward to the next episode.

message 6: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Sep 10, 2012 08:02AM) (new)

Janeen,
You reminded me of something they started doing in this current series that drives me nutty

"at the end of the episode while Brian is looking at the Earth." This bit when the TARDIS doors are open while they are in space. I think onetime the Doctor may have explained how it can be done but I don't like it.

Re: The dinosaurs on the ship and the Silurians. The Silurians put the dinosaurs on the ship. Apparently they were saving them from some kind of planetary disaster. I think they were headed toward Earth (or originally from Earth?) and Solomon's ship arriving changed all that. There were no "humans" on the ship just Silurians. It was explained when Solomon discovered the ship and more importantly the fact that they were shipping Dinosaurs HE woke up the Silurians a few at a time tricked them and killed them by throwing them off the ship. To Solomon live dinosaurs are super valuable.

message 7: by Marlene (last edited Sep 10, 2012 08:50AM) (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Kirsty ~ Admirer of David Tennant wrote: "CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian Wrote: "I wish they had spent more time on the Silurians"

I totally agree. They just mentioned them, then just kind of left it hanging after the whole genocide scene. It..."

Moffat didn't write this episode though, and he didn't direct it (although he was the producer). He's the showrunner, but he can't write all the episodes himself.

message 8: by Marlene (last edited Sep 10, 2012 02:19PM) (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Just finished watching the episode, woohoo! I really liked it. The triceratops was great , and I think we have some foreshadowing for the next episode with the Doctor leaving Solomon to die. Rory's dad was brilliant and I really liked Riddell. It's the closest thing to Wholock that I'm getting, so I was very happy that Moffat threw that bone for us Sherlock fans.

What else? Oh! Nefertiti was awesome, and I was cheering for her at the end. The robots were there primarily to back the villain up - he needs to have a security of some sort, of course.

All in all I thought it was a good episode and I can't wait for "A Town Called Mercy."

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 38 comments We were really confused at times during this episode. Didnt see the point of the african hunter at all. Seemed more disjointed than most episodes (And I was geared up for it just from the title). Not one of my favorites.

message 10: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments It was kind of disjointed, yeah...and Eris, how do you think the triceratops could be used as foreshadowing? This wasn't a two-parter...

message 11: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) I meant how the Doctor leaving Solomon to die was foreshadowing for the next episode "A Town Called Mercy." Not the triceratops - sorry for my incorrect sentence structuring!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

(When I say "Moffat" I guess I mean the writers. Sorry, it's become a common moun in my vocabulary. I should probably fix that...)

Janeen, about Riddell and Nefertiti being there with no backround. They need to start somewhere don't they? Maybe they'll be referenced later and this was a starting point.

I also am eagerly awaiting "A Town Called Mercy". It looks super suspensful and the whole plot just intrigues me. Plus, it's in the US for once!

The Silurians could've been explained more or a bigger part of the plot. They were thrown in there, without thought it seemed. The Dinosaurs could've been explained better too. At first I was confused, then as the episode went on I got a vague explanation, overall the whole sircumstances with the silurians and the arc should've been better explained.

Nefertiti was never found and is considered a myth in someplaces so that explains why she was never sent back to Egypt. I think the African game hunter Riddell was put in there as a solution to the whole "Nefertiti's tomb has never been found" and maybe because big African game are similar to dinosaurs. I kind of liked when Amy was saying, "I can do a two man job, but you can come along too!"

Also, the Doctor was just taking Brian along to travel to wherever Brian wanted to go. Siluria was only one place. We can probably assume that the Doctor dropped him back on Earth

message 13: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments Kirsty ~ The Doctor-Donna wrote: I also am eagerly awaiting "A Town Called Mercy". It looks super suspensful and the whole plot just intrigues me. Plus, it's in the US for once!"

Hey! What about Australia? You've had mentions and three episodes! Can't we have a go?

Anyway, most of what I really liked about this episode was the funny quirks! These are my favourites:

Doctor: Run...
*everyone runs*
Amy: Doctor!
Doctor: I know. Dinosaurs ... on a spaceship!

Nefertiti: And you, Amy, are you also a queen?
Amy (seriously): Yes. Yes I am.

Brian: Are they kestrels?
Doctor: I do hope so!!!
Later...
Doctor: What do we do about the things that aren't kestrels?

Rory: Dig with what?
Brian: Ah. Well.
Rory: Did you just have that on you?
Brian: Of course. What sort of man doesn't carry a trowel? Put it on your Christmas list.
Rory: Dad, I'm 31, I don't have a Christmas list anymore.
Doctor: I do!

Rory: I will take you apart cog by cog and melt you down when all this is over.
Robot 1: Oh, I'm so scared! Actually, I might be. A little bit of oil just came out.

The Doctor: Piracy and then genocide.
Solomon: Very emotive words, Doctor.
The Doctor: Oh, I'm a very emotive man.

Nefertiti: You and the Doctor, are you his queen?
Amy: No, no, I'm Rory's queen. Wife. Wife. I am his wife. Please don't tell him I said I was his queen. I'll never hear the end of it.
Nefertiti: And the Doctor, does he have a queen?
Amy: I thought you had a husband.
Nefertiti: The male equivalent of a sleeping potion.
Riddell: You clearly need a man of action and excitement. One with a very large weapon.
Amy: So, human sleeping potion or walking innuendo. Take your pick.

message 14: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Bwahahaha! That last one had me cackling up a storm. Thank you for letting me replay it in my mind. And the Doctor has a Christmas list, awwwwww! :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder what he has on his Christmas list.

message 16: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments Didn't he say it in the Town Called Mercy?

message 17: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments Yeah, those two are my favourites.

message 18: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Never ignore a coincidence, unless, of course, you're busy. :)

message 19: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments Juliana wrote: "Never ignore a coincidence! Christmas has been Metioned in all three episodes now

1 Doctor-At long last-It's christmas(by the way i hated how they added that)-Here I am!

2 Rory I'm a thirty year ..."

Good spotting! I wonder what they're scheming...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmmmmmmmm............

message 21: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments It has been said that Oswin will be coming back in the Christmas Special - maybe it's more significant than it seems.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Scheming! I love it!

message 23: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) I love her reviews! Moffat liked them, too - he tweeted the one she did about Asylum of the Daleks.

message 24: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments I found her on Youtube when I was looking at random Asylum of the Daleks stuff. It was so funny when she demonstrated the 'people with a dalek in their head' *giggle*

Heard about her from a link on IMDb.com I couldn't watch more than about 10 seconds of her "Asylum of the Daleks" review. Sorry. Maybe I just take reviews and reviewing too seriously. Perhaps in about 10 years or so when she's a teenager she'll delete them due to embarrassment.

message 26: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments Perhaps. Bet her parents will keep them and display them on a big screen on her twenty-first.

message 27: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Why should she be embarrased? She's four years old and is already a pretty developed Whovian. I'm proud of her! :)

message 28: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments Any whovian would be. Welcome to the family, LindaLee!!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

She reminds me of my friends little sister! She's adorable, especially when she says "Doctor Who" instead of "The Doctor"! You are watching my future child everyone!

message 31: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments Kirsty ~ The Doctor-Donna wrote: "She reminds me of my friends little sister! She's adorable, especially when she says "Doctor Who" instead of "The Doctor"! You are watching my future child everyone!"

She reminds me of my little sister!! :)
Except my sister is petrified of the Angels.

message 32: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Petrified. That's a good word to describe MY sister when she saw the Silence! Remember that scene when Amy was in the dark orphanage? My sister was strangling me.

It's so fun to have Whovain sisters!

message 33: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) *sniffs sadly and curses stupid brother who only likes watching Doctor Who sometimes* I never believed it would happen, but my mom understands and likes Doctor Who better than my brother. But even then she's not completely crazy about it. But hey! She likes watching the episodes with me when I play them, and she'll discuss it with me afterwards, so that counts for something!

message 34: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments Oh, spare me the list of all the Whovians I know!

message 35: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments ...My sister HATES Doctor Who. Unless it's Eleven. >.<

But yesterday she FINALLY admitted that David Tennant was hot! :D EPIC WIN FOR ME!

message 36: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Nobody can deny the Tennant-ness! :D

message 37: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments She's crazy! Matt Smith is good, but nowhere near as crazily fantastic as Tennant!!!

message 38: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Ah, well, different girls like different things. And you never forget your first Doctor, after all.

message 39: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (steampunk) | 774 comments It was an ok episode.

message 40: by Leyah (last edited Oct 16, 2012 02:44AM) (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments Eris ~ Time Lord Unvictorious wrote: "Ah, well, different girls like different things. And you never forget your first Doctor, after all."

Suppose...

*goes back to worshipping Tennant*

message 41: by Zohal (new)

Zohal | 202 comments I am completely undecided. I LOVE Tennant AND MATT SMITH IS JUST AMAZING. And I LOVE Eccleston.
So I am undecided and will continue to be.

message 42: by Zohal (new)

Zohal | 202 comments I love it when books have references to Doctor Who.

In this book I read called Jimmy Coates: Killer there was a part where they were like.

So where are we going ?
Ten Downing Street

And I was like OMG DOCTOR WHO EPISODE WITH THE SLITHEENS REFERENCE. (I think)

And there was one in this book Kingdom of the Wicked where Scapegrace was talking to himself and said this.

He wished he had a fez. Fezzes were cool. As far as he knew that was. Wasn't there someone who said fezzes were cool. Well, then whoever they were, they're cool.

And my face was just a face of OMG AWESOMENESS BECAUSE

(THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR SAID FEZZES ARE COOL ahh !!!!!!)

message 43: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 365 comments My friend is writing a Warriors fanfition which will have a tribute to Amy and Rory.

message 44: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Axela wrote: "...My sister HATES Doctor Who. Unless it's Eleven. >.<

But yesterday she FINALLY admitted that David Tennant was hot! :D EPIC WIN FOR ME!"

Good for you!! :D

message 45: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Isabelle wrote: "I love it when books have references to Doctor Who.

In this book I read called Jimmy Coates: Killer there was a part where they were like.

So where are we going ?
Ten Downing Street

And I was li..."

hahahah!! That's awesome!!!

message 46: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (steampunk) | 774 comments I prefer Ten.

message 47: by Zohal (new)

Zohal | 202 comments I love the tenth and eleventh. But I am not a fan of the ninth doctor.

message 48: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) :( Nine is great! He was dark, brooding, and he started off New Who. I cannot dislike any of the Doctors really - not even Six, who is always considered the least favorite.

message 49: by Sidnee (new)

Sidnee I thought nine was fantastic. (lol) He's not my favorite, but I still think he awesome.

message 50: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments I agree with Eris!!! Nine was my first Doctor and its almost impossible not to like your first. I love Nine!! The relationship between him and Rose is lovely, you can really sense the tenderness there. He was indeed dark, and quick to anger, and that's why I love him so! But he can also be really sweet <3
I also love his laugh and smile!!

« previous 1