Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > October Short Story

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments As with the contemporary nominations I'm putting the short story up earlier so that more time for nominations and voting occurs.

message 2: by Xdyj (new)

message 3: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) "Red Nails" by Robert E. Howard. It's available for free at Gutenberg.org

message 4: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 116 comments I nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It won a short story Hugo award in 1960 and is a cracking story. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

message 5: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 92 comments Bev wrote: "I nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It won a short story Hugo award in 1960 and is a cracking story.Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes"

ive had this on my TBR shelf for months so i would second this

message 6: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Bev wrote: "I nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It won a short story Hugo award in 1960 and is a cracking story.Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes"

This is a great story but is it actually a SHORT story? I could've sworn it was a novel or novella. "Size" doesn't matter really :) it's soooo worth reading :)

message 7: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments I know of a short story a friend of mine wrote several years ago that is absolutely perfect for this group...but he couldn't sell it and he hasn't gotten his brain around the idea that Indie Publishing of the 21st century is not "self publishing" of the 1990s (vanity presses *ick*) so I don't think the story can be had anywhere. Not suer why I can't get it out of my head seeing this nomination thread but Szekely (by Loren K. Jones) is an amazing world-building, character-centered "first contact" story--short. Like 5000 words I think. I need to nag him to upload it somewhere :)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 8: by Kodai (last edited Sep 18, 2012 08:23AM) (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments I nominate The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster, since it is free online and it is a classic SF short story.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury 0r The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

message 10: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (last edited Sep 18, 2012 06:39PM) (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Marjorie wrote: "Bev wrote: "I nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It won a short story Hugo award in 1960 and is a cracking story.Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes"

If it won a short story Hugo then we can use it :p Novellas are short enough...

Ruth wrote: "Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury 0rThe Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury"

They're not short stories but I'll add them to the contemporary vote since they're not exactly listed on the classic list I'm using...

Marjorie wrote: "I know of a short story a friend of mine wrote several years ago that is absolutely perfect for this group...but he couldn't sell it and he hasn't gotten his brain around the idea that Indie Publis..."

If you can get him to do that then we can accept it as a nomination.

message 11: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Hallowell | 75 comments Jonathan wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "Bev wrote: "I nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It won a short story Hugo award in 1960 and is a cracking story.Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes"

If it won a short st..."

May I point out that the Hugo-winning short story and the novel are very different? The short story, which is brilliant and heartbreaking, consists solely of the narrator's diary entries. The novel-length work with exposition between the entries is...less brilliant, in my opinion.

message 12: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments J.D. wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "Bev wrote: "I nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It won a short story Hugo award in 1960 and is a cracking story.Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes"

If ..."

Thanks J.D.!

message 13: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Jonathan wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "I know of a short story a friend of mine wrote several years ago that is absolutely perfect for this group...but he couldn't sell it and he hasn't gotten his brain around the idea that Indie Publis..."

If you can get him to do that then we can accept it as a nomination. "

I've left him a note (including a link to this discussion) over on another forum (on Yahoo!) where (I think) he actually checks in regularly. I suspect he won't be spurred into uploading the story or more importantly, joining/becoming active on Goodreads. Ah well, I can only lead him to the "water" so to speak, right?

Thanks, though, Jonathan, and if he does upload it anywhere, I highly recommend it to you, personally, because I think the world building in his 3000 to 5000 word short is astounding. I know you'll appreciate it.

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 14: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Marjorie wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "I know of a short story a friend of mine wrote several years ago that is absolutely perfect for this group...but he couldn't sell it and he hasn't gotten his brain..."

Thanks Marjorie. Be sure to let us all know if he does upload it anywhere!

message 15: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments I'll set up a poll later today!

message 16: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.