House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7) House Rules discussion

Morgan, Ethan or Jonah?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Morgan God knows I hate all of them sometimes, but when I love them…I LOVEEEEEE them.

Shumaila Dosani ethan all the way

Morgan whoop yes ethan!..but the on and offness is getting a bit irritating

Claudia Ethan
Sometimes you want to wring his neck but you can help loving him.

Elizabeth Ethan, he is the only one for Merit since book 1.Yes, sometimes you want to kick him in the you know what, but then he does something amazing for Merit and he loves her so much that you can help loving him again :)
Also they are so funny together, I love their conversations.
“Work now, play later,” I reminded him.

“I find mixing business with pleasure makes both more interesting.”

"Come here often?” he said.

“Excuse me?”

“I see you’re here in this”—he gestured at the shelves—“library all alone. You must be a student here?” He traced a fingertip down the hollow of my throat, lifting goose bumps on my arms.

Since my mind hardly worked when he did things like that, it took a moment for his words to register. Was he initiating a bout of role-playing . . . about a library?

“Ethan Sullivan,” I marveled. “You have a library fantasy.”

He smiled slyly. “I have a doctoral-student-turned-vampire fantasy.”

Book Sushi Id like her to stick with ethan, but i fully agree with the whole on again off again thing...you'd think that a centuries old vampire would he happy to settle down already....

Jjab I think Ethan should of stayed dead. Jonah is more compatible with Merit in my oh so extremely humble opinion;)

lara Morgan wrote: "whoop yes ethan!..but the on and offness is getting a bit irritating"
I know right you just want to hit him sometimes but he is the best for merit and you just have to love him

Kristy Johnson I love Ethan, but I have the feeling that he's going to pull away that one time too many. Merit is going to realize that she can have something good, and a lot less complicated with sexy Jonah.

Elizabeth Ethan is Merit HEA. After House Rules I think is obvious that Merit and Ethan are a good couple. I love Jonah as a character, he is a good friend and a good partner, in house rules at the end he stayed on good terms with Ethan so there is a possible friendship in the future. He knows his place in Merit's life and I definitely don't see Merit leaving Ethan.He is Merit's future and happiness.
Remember that Chloe Neil said: she saw in her head a naked, blonde, Beckham-like man standing before her. And she suddenly “knew” who Ethan was. And she then knew who Merit had to be in order to be his foil. She “saw” the ending and the major emotional milestones that needed to happen along the way.
Every time something bad happened to separate them(even if ethan insecurities were to blame) when they come together again they were stronger and happier.
There are clearly problems still ahead in Chicago but after House Rules we see a powerful couple, ready to fight them together.

Chanin Malley ethan the only one who isnt childish(morgan),could have a hidden agenda or possible hidden love interest(jonah)

Karen Hodurek Jonah

message 13: by lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

lara ethan

message 14: by Fisty (new)

Fisty Mcdougal I was glad when Ethan turned to ash. I thought finally Merit can find a real love. Now that Ethan magically came back to life, I'm not sure I want to read on. Please someone tell me this was all a dream sequence and Jonah is the new super hot love of her life :)

Angelique I prefer Jonah. Just seems better for her than Ethan and all of his hangups.

message 16: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Ethan for sure.

Dawna Raver I'd be very disappointed if, after all the drama, Merit ended up with Jonah. I think if a writer is going to put a couple and her readership through that much drama, there needs to be an HEA at the end. I've already had one literary heartbreak with the Sookie Stackhouse series. I seriously hope that doesn't happen with this one.

Veronica IMO this is one of the few series out there where the HEA is not even close to being in question. Morgan is not even on the playing field and Jonah never really was either. His one kiss only sent Merit straight to Ethan's bed where she spent the night wrapped up in his scent. It's Ethan and it was always going to be him for Merit. And her for him.

Dawna Raver I agree. But I thought that with Eric and Sookie as well. I hope most authors understand the stupidity of an abrupt left turn this late in a series. Can't wait to start Biting Bad to see where Neill takes us next. I do wonder if a long lost relative of Ethan's is about to make an appearance.

Veronica That's true about Eric/Sookie but Chloe was pretty clear on her forum that she doesn't like to read about love triangles and so therefore she doesn't write them. I don't consider Jonah's brief attempt at Merit in that one book as a true triangle because it was very, very brief and it was always clear (to me) where Merit's heart truly lay and, of course, Ethan was back by the end of that book and Merit has never looked back.

In any event, I was very glad to hear that Chloe doesn't like love triangles because I've come to hate them with the power of a thousand suns. I will drop any series that brings them up. It sure helps to keep my TBR pile manageable.

Dawna Raver That's interesting and hopeful to hear that Chloe said that. I guess I'll have to read her forum. Are they on her website?

I don't mind a triangle myself. I think it adds tension. But when they're manufactured, it can ruin the story.

Veronica Dawna, the link to her forum is on her blog page. There is thread where she answers people's questions and the no triangle thing was in answer to a question during the time that we were waiting for the book after Ethan's "death" to come out. That's also where she mentioned that Ethan's character came to her first (and then she knew who Merit needed to be) that Elizabeth mentioned upthread a bit.

message 23: by Nicklas (new)

Nicklas Ethan or else!!!

message 24: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Duff Ethan all of the way. There isn't anyone else for her. He loves her so much! Even though he has backed away a few times, he still loves her so much!

message 25: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee just got done reading the most recent - well worth it

Chanin Malley Loved the most recent book Wild Things and i have to say Ethan all the way I dont see Morgan doing what Ethan does for her throughout the books(I'm being vague on purpose, dont want to spoil anything) and Jonah, while hot, just doesnt make the Ethan cut. :)

Veronica Morgan has become something of a douche, at least up through Biting Bad. I still need to read Wild Things.

Chanin Malley Veronica G. wrote: "Morgan has become something of a douche, at least up through Biting Bad. I still need to read Wild Things."

Very true and spoiler he only becomes more douchy(i made up that word)

message 29: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I dunno if i would call him douchy...more the stress of having (view spoiler)

Chanin Malley Dee wrote: "I dunno if i would call him douchy...more the stress of having [spoilers removed]"
To me he became douchy when he put his own people above that of the entire vampire race.In a time where all the vampires should have been working together he put his head in the sand.Then there was the snarky comments he constanly said to Merit asking about the "real" relationship between her and Ethan when she was being quite honest or as honest as one can be in her situation about her and ethan's relationship.Plus he seems like he doesnt mind hiding things that hurt other vampires as a whole..(Celina stopping by and them not saying anything?)

message 31: by Dee (last edited Feb 12, 2014 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee yeah, but the GP which is supposed to represent all vampires continually puts itself above everyone else...so its not like he's the only who does it...plus him taking over after Celina died...the person who outted the vamps...and didn't she make him - so a sense of loyalty to her

Chanin Malley Dee wrote: "yeah, but the GP which is supposed to represent all vampires continually puts itself above everyone else...so its not like he's the only who does it...plus him taking over after Celina died...the p..."
Yeah but if you think about it the GP is so far away so its easy to think of them as a a separate enity I mean they are situated in Europe for crying out loud but Morgan's group is situated in Chicago with them where all the mess is going down.Its easy for the GP to say not my problem handle it on your own but when its technicially Morgan's house that started the press to begin with?Also i can see how he can have loyalty but even that should have limits I mean she basically threw Morgan and his house on the ground and ran away to welcome her back with open arms is a little...IDK

message 33: by Veronica (last edited Feb 14, 2014 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica Plus, he didn't step forward to help out Grey house when it was being attacked and didn't even bother to extend an invitation to house any of their vampires. But I bet if he or his house ever needs help he'd be the first one crying for it. And Ethan and Scott would help him, because it's the honorable thing to do.

Chanin Malley Veronica G. wrote: "Plus, he didn't step forward to help out Grey house when it was being attacked and didn't even bother to extend an invitation to house any of their vampires. But I bet if he or his house ever need..."
Yeah I agree with Veronica its my main problem with Morgan he seemed so nice and then his true colors started to show add to the fact that if Merit had ended up with him long term eventually she would have had to betray him to do the right thing..like really fast.At least Ethan and Jonah try their best to pull through things when it matters.Morgan on the other hand...

Kristin Ethan or Jonah! Sometimes Ethan just pisses me off, but other times he is so sweet

message 36: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Veronica wrote: "Plus, he didn't step forward to help out Grey house when it was being attacked and didn't even bother to extend an invitation to house any of their vampires. But I bet if he or his house ever need..."

see that doesn't surprise me though, its like human nature...when people need help they scream loud, but they are never the first to offer when others do...or at least that's my experience...when I was doign shift work, people would always want weekends off, but then when you wanted them to do time for you in exchange it was like pulling teeth getting them to do it

Prism Ethan even if he is a jerk sometimes.