Gold Gold discussion

Jack (Warning SPOILER Alert)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Did Jack get off too easy?

TamElaine I'm not really sure what you mean...? I do feel like Jack's character was revealed mostly through backstory and we barely saw him in the present-day story....he did take on raising his own child (with Kate of course) which I felt was more than many men would do...what did bother me about Jack was that he went to the 2008 olympics when I think it should have been him staying with Sophie and letting Kate go (though Kate may not have been in the right state of mind to function in the olympics that year anyway - but it still bothered me)....

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 10, 2012 10:27AM) (new)

Tam wrote: "I'm not really sure what you mean...? I do feel like Jack's character was revealed mostly through backstory and we barely saw him in the present-day story....he did take on raising his own child (..."

I meant that, one way of looking at the situation is that Zoe had an absolutely tragic existence up until the mess with Jack and then had circumstance, (the pregnancy) which she couldn't have been less capable of dealing with if she tried.

Kate, for her love of Jack, got utterly dismissed by her first true anything after his accident, (and treated shitty by his parents, who had the nerve to turn around and be nice to Zoe) then cheated on by him with the one person who should have been off limits above all others. She then ends up raising the subsequent child, who turns out to be heartbreakingly ill, and all the while missing two shots at the Olympics for her trouble.

Jack, on the other hand, got to be better at the sport than either of them, and not ever be conflicted about winning a race and furthering his career.

He got to start a romance with Kate that was all sweetness and light and then forget about it (albeit by way of a horrible accident) and start another romance with Zoe which only ended because of her lack of ability to have anything resembling a normal relationship with someone.

He got to sleep with the hot-fun-mean, girl and marry and build a life with the nice girl, and be a dad to his daughter, while he competed at the pinnacle of his sport.

TamElaine Love your last sentence - that certainly sums it up ! It's funny, though, and an obvious reflection on me and how I view men as dads, which is sad, but I didn't see the one perspective you mentioned until now...that he got to be a dad to his daughter....I guess I don't see many men who WANT that - most try to run, so I thought that was a redeeming quality of Jack that he actually took on the responsibility of being a dad to her....now I can certainly see it both ways....regardless, though, of either perspective, I really hated that he competed in his sport while Kate mothered his daughter when she was so ill...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Tam wrote: "Love your last sentence - that certainly sums it up ! It's funny, though, and an obvious reflection on me and how I view men as dads, which is sad, but I didn't see the one perspective you mention..."

Oh no, I agree with you. I think a lot of dudes try to run. It is commendable that he wanted to be a dad to her, but he's kind of the only one of the lot of them who got that particular opportunity. Zoe didn't get to mother Sophie (not that she would have been any good at it) and Kate got to mother her, but always with the knowledge that she was Jacks daughter with someone else and with the fear that she wasn't doing a good job.