UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Meet the Authors > Fiona Mackinnon

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Hello Goodreads Guys and Gals

I'm a Glaswegian, living in London, with my fiancé, but without a dog (which is unfair).

I write books for children aged 8 and above - a mixture of fantasy, history and sci-fi. But above all, I aim for humour.

My first offering to the big wide world of the Kindlesphere is …

The Utterly Amazing Brain Of Ignatius Cramp

I would love to hear back from readers/writers, old and young, via this thread. I’m always up for a blether (Scottish for chat) on-line.

I am working on a couple of other manuscripts at the moment and plan to have a new release out by the end of the year.

As for achievements, I won second prize in the youth club darts competition back in '82. That's all really.

Cheerio for now.
Fiona Mackinnon

message 2: by Fiona (last edited Oct 13, 2012 03:43AM) (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Exciting day! The Utterly Amazing Brain Of Ignatius Cramp featured in Scotland's Daily Record Kids Corner book review today. It's lovely to get such positive feedback from young readers.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Oh wonderful!

Congratulations, Fiona!

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Thanks Patti! Who knows if it will result in a wee flurry of sales, but me mum is well chuffed! It is proudly going alongside the newspaper cutting of the review I received when I played Paddington Bear in primary 5. 'Tis the little things in life ...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Lol!

Love it!

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Short but sweet (not me, review, but then again .... )

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/special-...

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Wombat (wombat37) Heya! Just saying hello to authors "quite near me" in this forum as I look at it. I love your book cover - did you design it yourself?

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Hiya Michael! I did scribble down the design for my book, as I wanted something bold and simple. I cannae draw for toffee, so a proper arty-type, grown-up person did the colouring in :-) All good fun. I must say I find your cover picture of Cuetip gazing into the distance very evocative, great stuff. Of course, you had me at Seven Samurai and Zulu!

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Hiya Goodreaders

Big shout out to St Edward’s Primary School, who invited me over to talk book stuff last week. It was great fun. Kids seemed to love my latest book (I read a couple of chaps), but that was probably down to the fact that the character voices I put on were pretty naff and caused much hilarity.

As a group we came up with an outline for a new book; the kids settled down to write the first few pages. How about Fat Bob's Haunted Cake Shop, a horror/romance (genre was a 50/50 vote split by the kids!), where Bob makes a cake with evil ingredients (bogies, of course) which he then falls in love with, but which eventually possesses him. They have 13 evil cup-cake children and live happily ever after. Obviously a best seller in the making me thinks! Seriously though, the creativity of the kids was amazing.

Anyway, anyone thinking of treading the school visit boards, go for it! It is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever, er, experienced. Hats off to the teachers who had to settle the kids down after I left. Mwaahaahaaahaa.

Laters
Fee

Fiona Mackinnon
The Utterly Amazing Brain Of Ignatius Cramp

message 10: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Hello folks,

Quick post to let Goodreaders know that The Utterly Amazing Brain Of Ignatius Cramp now available in paperback. Hooray!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Utterly-Amazi...

Featured as Kids Corner book of the month in Scotland's national newspaper: The Daily Record, October 2012. 'funny and cheeky and there's lots of suspense that made me race to the end'

Have you ever heard voices in your head? Not pretend voices you make up yourself, that have foreign accents you can't really do properly, but very real, very clear, very weird, very annoying voices. What if they're coming from a tiny alien spaceship? Bet that's never happened to you. But it happened to 13 year old Ignatius Cramp. Getting a family of four galaxy-hopping tourists (and their pet sabre-tooth tiger) that have crash-landed in your brain back to their home planet is as hard as it sounds; especially when dark forces conspire to open your head with a tin-opener (or any other handy head-opening implement). Written with readers aged 9 to 11 in mind, The Utterly Amazing Brain of Ignatius Cramp is a hilarious, race-against-time adventure for both boys and girls to enjoy.

Cheerio for now
Fiona

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (AndrewLawston) | 1757 comments Congratulations, sounds as though it's all going very well!

message 12: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Cheers Andrew!

It's all great fun this writing malarky! Better than being stuck behind a desk, er wait a minute I am stuck behind a desk ... you know what I mean though ...

Fee

message 13: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Hello Goodreaders!

Drum roll ... slightly off key trumpets ... bloke with deep voice ...

'Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, FeemacScribbles Inc is proud to announce the publication of her latest ramblings 'The Incredible Time Travelling Marble Contraption' ... Ta da!'

The Incredible Time Travelling Marble Contraption

... it's got a bit with a dragon in it :-)

Fiona

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Congrats Fiona!

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Just back from a fantastic day at Buckingham Primary School in Hampton. Lots of laughs and heaps of brilliant creative writing from the kids. Zombies rock! (as do ghosts, evil twins, spooky houses, chocolate ray guns and gummy bears (potentially evil)). A big thank you to the staff and kids for making me so welcome. Think I may have promised them a new book by November, oops, best get tappity-tapping then .....

message 16: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Also ... meant to say I have one of those new-fangled facebook-author-pagey-type-thingies.

https://www.facebook.com/AuthorFionaM...

Feel free to drop me a note there too!

Cheerio for now
Fee

message 17: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Also, also ....

To celebrate the release of 'The Incredible Time Travelling Marble Contraption, my first publication, The Utterly Amazing Brain Of Ignatius Cramp will be available for free on kindle from 17th to 19th Aug ... Free stuff, ya cannae whack it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Utterly-Amazi...

message 18: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Mackinnon | 23 comments Hiya Goodreaders!

Excitement this week in FeemacScribbles Tower. My 3rd publication, "The Scryer" went live on that there Amazon! Huzzah!

The Scryer: The Witches of Bendonas

It's got witches in it and everything!

Fiona