Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group discussion

Dystopian Movies > Favorite After the world ends movies or shows?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Raquel (new)

Raquel Medina Your favorite after the world ends movie or show. Anything from Zombies to a government gone bad.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lunakaos) For Zombies I like Walking Dead for a serious approach but I also loved Zombieland for a funny approach.
"remember the double tap"
My favorite 'after the end of the world' movie though would have to be Stakeland, though it uses vampires they could easily be Zombies, and to my mind is rather acurate as to how humanity would react to the situation.

message 3: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 7 comments Walking dead is my favorite..... Loves it

message 4: by Susan Tydings (new)

Susan Tydings (tydingsfrushour) | 5 comments The Stand/Stephen King I've lost track of how many times I've read the book & watched the movie

message 5: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 7 comments Nicole, What is Stakeland about?

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Ward (chriswardfictionwriter) | 19 comments It's got to be Shaun of the Dead. That movie is hilarious.

message 7: by Mike Briggs (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) Millennium

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 3 comments Tv- walking dead, falling skies, (upcoming) revolution

Movies-
The postman, the road, the matrix, zombieland, Shaun of the dead, book of Eli, resident evil, 28 days later, and more.

message 9: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail Lerma (MLerma) | 19 comments I agree with all mentioned..plus the colony, and the British tv show survivors which is sadly over

The walking dead is of course my current favorite though.

message 10: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 44 comments I can't believe they ended Survivors on such a cliff-hanger!

I like your list, Kevin. Although most people that would put The Postman on the list would also include Waterworld.

I'll go for a few classics as well -- Day of the Triffids, The World, The Flesh, and the Devil, A Boy and His Dog, Worlds in Collision, The Time Machine, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc.

message 11: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail Lerma (MLerma) | 19 comments I agree randy! I'm pretty sure they didn't intend for it to end in that season, if they did then that really makes me mad.

And I completely forgot about water world.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 3 comments Randy - yes I forgot to list waterworld I thought it was a good movie.
Sadly I never got to see surviors I wanted to watch it. I didn't really care for the dog/boy movie but I did like the devil/world/flesh movie it wasn't bad

message 13: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail Lerma (MLerma) | 19 comments I watched Survivors on Netflix instant.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments Revolution currently. Here is the Pilot before it airs monday on NBC!
http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/397518

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THIS GREAT DYSTOPIAN FACEBOOK PAGE BELOW:
https://www.facebook.com/readystopian

message 15: by Tayler (new)

Tayler Wright (taylerewright) | 7 comments TV wise: Revolution and The Walking Dead. Movie wise: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later, etc.
books: too freakin many to list

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 3 comments Watch revolution. I think it's a good show and they better not cancel it. What does everyone else think?

message 17: by Arie (new)

Arie (notarie) I definitely agree on The Walking Dead, so well done. Film: I love Planet Terror because of it's typical Rodriguez b-grade horror quality, and The Book of Eli simply for it's stunning cinematography; otherwise Day of The Triffids and Shaun of The Dead.

If they hadn't ruined I Am Legend then that would have been in my top 5.

message 18: by Bob (new)

Bob | 12 comments Geez I know I'm going to leave some out but here it goes:
The Walking Dead, Zombieland, The Book of Eli, Shaun of the Dead, Revolution, Resident Evil, 28 days later, 28 weeks later, The Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake), Doomsday, Mad Max series, Carriers, The Stand, Jericho, The Hunger Games and I am Legend.

message 19: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 44 comments Revolution is OK as no-thinking popcorn-type entertainment, but I'll take the new season of The Walking Dead starting up this weekend over it any time! :)

I find it hard to believe I actually miss Terra Nova.

message 20: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 76 comments Late coming to this discussion

I have blogged about my dissatisfaction with the genre, but I mention several of the movies and the BBC's Survivors series, add in Jeremiah with large problems for me with the plot. Just started watching Falling Skies and have similar issues.

http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

http://phenweb.wordpress.com/2013/07/...

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 9 comments Kevin wrote: "Watch revolution. I think it's a good show and they better not cancel it. What does everyone else think?"

I'm a bit disappointed with both Revolution and Falling Skies. I don't think either one of them are living up to their potential. A lot of the problems with both shows, for me anyway, is the main characters aren't quite right. Not sure if it's the acting or the writing, but I find them completely unbelievable and I can't really relate to them at all. And you can add Under the Dome to that list.

message 22: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Crayton (rjcrayton) | 16 comments I like Revolution a lot. It had a lull in the middle where they almost lost me, but I was all-in when the season wrapped up in the spring. I'm looking forward to new episodes.

I'm not into gore, guts and horror, so I don't think the Walking Dead would be a good show for me.

message 23: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 76 comments Looked at trailers for Revolution and was not hooked at all.

Just starting Series 3 of Falling Skies and very split on whole story. Some episodes are good others are imho poor. Because I'm onto Series 3 I guess I'll persist.

Microsoft have announced they intend to remake Blake's 7 an old BBC TV Series from the 70's will be interesting to see how it goes.

message 24: by Rainier (new)

Rainier | 4 comments Try Survivors (the 2008 version)....about a flu/virus pandemic that wipes out most of the population except for a few 'survivors.' It's a British show, apparently it's a remake from 1975.

message 25: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 76 comments Rainier wrote: "Try Survivors (the 2008 version)....about a flu/virus pandemic that wipes out most of the population except for a few 'survivors.' It's a British show, apparently it's a remake from 1975."

Yes seen it and the original even blogged about it and it was one of the programmes that inspired me to write my own take on the subject. the remake was not as good as the original but that's probably rose tinted perspective.

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 17 comments I'd say Jericho, Jeremiah, Walking Dead, Survivors, The Last Train, The Colony *Even if I didn't always agree with choices made*

Movies I'd just have way to many to list but some of my favorites would be Shaun of the Dead, The Day After, The Road, The Stand, Stakeland, Dawn of the Dead remake and the list goes on....

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 53 comments Rainier wrote: "Try Survivors (the 2008 version)....about a flu/virus pandemic that wipes out most of the population except for a few 'survivors.' It's a British show, apparently it's a remake from 1975."

I LOVED that show but BBC America seemed to only show one season here - was there more? Very well acted and held my attention - if there was only one season I am very disappointed.
I am still mad they cancelled "The 4400" and said I'd NEVER watch another sci-fi show...but I have been watching and enjoying "Revolution" and "Falling Skies" - both are not the BEST I've ever seen but better than much of the dreck on TV.
Maybe you Brits can enlighten me as to whether or not there was more than one season of "Survivors"?

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tina (snowcutey67) | 1 comments Kevin wrote: "Tv- walking dead, falling skies, (upcoming) revolution

Movies-
The postman, the road, the matrix, zombieland, Shaun of the dead, book of Eli, resident evil, 28 days later, and more."

I really want to watch Falling Skies but I have missed the first season. I can not for the life of me find it anywhere to watch.

message 29: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Garside I'm not generally a zombie fan, but I love the series "In the Flesh" where the British have found a treatment for the zombies. They are classified as "partially deceased" and treated as an oppressed minority. It's a dark, realistic rural drama that oozes with meaning.

message 30: by Casey (new)

Casey Hays | 7 comments The Walking Dead and Falling Skies are two of my favorites! I kind of lost interest in Revolution. Tom drives me a bit crazy! Can't decide if he's a good guy in a bad place or just a terrible person.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (letaylor13) Jane wrote: "Rainier wrote: "Try Survivors (the 2008 version)....about a flu/virus pandemic that wipes out most of the population except for a few 'survivors.' It's a British show, apparently it's a remake from..."

I think there was a second season of Survivors! It was such a good show!

message 32: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 53 comments Lauren wrote: "Jane wrote: "Rainier wrote: "Try Survivors (the 2008 version)....about a flu/virus pandemic that wipes out most of the population except for a few 'survivors.' It's a British show, apparently it's ..."

Can anyone "across the pond" verify that? Loved that show!

message 33: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 35 comments Google is your friend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor...

Two series were produced but then it was cancelled due to relatively low viewing figures. I enjoyed it and was disappointed that it wasn't picked up.

But then British TV science fiction often has a hard time getting an audience unless it's (a) Dr Who or (b) a comedy.

message 34: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 44 comments And the second series ended with a HUGE cliff-hanger...

message 35: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 53 comments Thanks Will (sound of hand slapping forehead) duh!! I see that it's available on DVD, but wicked expensive. I kept hoping there was another season that we in the US just hadn't gotten yet. HATE when they cancel a series like this after a cliffhanger! They did that with the 4400 - I invested 3 years in that and never did learn 1 single answer. Swore I'd never watch another sci-fi series on TV - but of course I've watched most of them!

BTW - Survivor IS available on Netflix.

message 36: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 53 comments Beverly wrote: "I'm not generally a zombie fan, but I love the series "In the Flesh" where the British have found a treatment for the zombies. They are classified as "partially deceased" and treated as an oppresse..."

Casey - I like Falling Skies, too! I think we are in the minority here. I do watch Revolution - parts I love (Aaron!) and others, meh. Tom went seriously off his head when he found out about his son...guy creeps me out!

message 37: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 35 comments Jane - I know what you mean. I gave up on Lost for exactly that reason. I had this awful feeling that they were never going to tell us what it was all about.

message 38: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 53 comments Will, I didn't watch Lost UNTIL the 3rd season because I was afraid to invest in something with no pay off, just leaving me with a cliffhanger. (I later rented the 1st 2 seasons on DVD). Thankfully, Lost had a great payoff - love it or hate it, there were answers and a final payoff. NOT Sci-fi, but the very best ending to a series has to be Six Feet Under.

At the very least, you would think the networks/producers would allow a final episode to be filmed to wrap things up. I'm watching Resurrection now and have a sinking feeling it won't be renewed. I watched Under The Dome last year because I knew if it was cancelled I could read the book!

message 39: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 35 comments Thanks - I may have to reinvest in Lost if they managed to finish it well.

Don't know Six Feet Under. That may be another one to add to the list.

Under the Dome was a strange one for me. I started the TV series but then stopped watching when I heard that the book was different. As a Stephen King I wanted to read the book first. It's on the list too!

message 40: by Brendan (last edited Aug 02, 2014 12:55PM) (new)

Brendan Butts (brendan_butts) | 11 comments The Postman was really good. Waterworld as well. Costner makes a good lead man for the apocalypse.

I haven't gotten into Under the Dome really. I gave it a shot but now I'm waiting for enough of the show to really marathon it.

Recently: The Last Ship

It's based on a book that I haven't read (but the show makes me want to read it). It's about a navy vessel that may be the last hope for humankind after a deadly virus kills most of the world's population.

Produced by Michael Bay -- but not overly produced if you know what I mean.

Someone mentioned Stakeland as well, which was really, really well done.

message 41: by Florence (new)

Florence Witkop | 6 comments Really old, but I vote for The Martian Chronicles. They watch Earth self-destruct.

message 42: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 6 comments Last Ship
The Strain
Falling Skies
Dominion
The Walking Dead

message 43: by Roger (new)

Roger Jackson The only one I've really gotten into lately is Falling Skies. It's starting to move in an odd direction though. I'm not sure where they're going with it.

I haven't checked out Last Ship yet.

message 44: by Brendan (new)

Brendan Butts (brendan_butts) | 11 comments I can't believe I forgot Falling Skies. I fell in love with that show right away. TNT really does a good job. The seasons are pretty short (I think The Last Shop will be the same) -- 10 episodes or so.

Dominion is pretty great so far.

Has anyone seen The Lottery? It's like Children of Men as far as I can tell from the previews. Women are no longer getting pregnant and the population of the world is slowly dying off. I could be wrong about the synopsis but that was what the previews left me thinking.

Would love to get some opinions on it before I check it out.

message 45: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 53 comments I watched the DVR'd premier of The Lottery last night - while waiting for Falling Skies & The Last Ship to come on! It was okay - I liked the premise, and there is a creepy dystopian feel to our government Departments (Dept. of Fertility, Dept. of Child Welfare) that creeped me out, but made the story more thrilling. It's got a LITTLE bit of a movie of the week or Lifetime movie feel to it - so I'll have to see where it goes.

I just finished reading The Strain & have the show's premier DVR'd - has anyone watched that?

message 46: by Harry (new)

Harry Manners (harrymanners) | 14 comments 28 Days Later is a classic. Walking Dead is ace.

I also loved Children of Men, Brendan!

I haven't heard of Falling Skies. Would you guys recommend it?

message 47: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 6 comments I love The Strain. It is an intersting take on vampires. Much better than Twilight.

If you like aliens I would definitely recommend Falling Skies it is a very good series.

message 48: by Roger (new)

Roger Jackson Falling Skies is pretty good, Harry, if you don't despise scify. It's set in present day but involves an alien invasion of Earth with humans fighting back. Sunday night on TNT, but go back to the beginning. It would be confusing to pick it up at this point.

message 49: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 53 comments I have liked Falling Skies from the beginning - especially enjoy the parallels to our country's beginnings - the 2nd Mass., just like in Revolutionary War days. That is less the past 2 years, but much more the first 2 seasons. TNT has announced a 5th and final season - so for once a sci-fi show I watch will not be cancelled mid-way!

It is well acted and action packed. If you enjoy any sci-fi, especially aliens, you'll like this. Very post-apocalyptic, which is my favorite.

message 50: by Florence (new)

Florence Witkop | 6 comments Read Jane's comment about The Lottery. I haven't heard of that one. Did it come from the short story The Lottery in which a small town chooses someone to sacrifice each year to an unknown being in order for them all not to be eaten? It was a good but creepy story.
I agree with Roger that Falling Skies is going in an odd direction. I'm glad the producers have decided on an ending because shows that just go on and on aimlessly seem to drift away from their original premise. Maybe that's what they figured was happening and wanted to avoid that.

« previous 1