ROBUST discussion

Author to Author > Trying out Wattpad

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
I've put a small piece on Wattpad to see how it goes. Check it out at http://bit.ly/QuzF5h

Browse a bit, by pulling down "Discover" and just clicking, and you soon discover writers with millions of readers... Their average age might well be 13, though.

message 2: by Andre Jute (new)

Even scarier is the thought that they may be tomorrow's indie writers.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Andre Jute wrote: "Even scarier is the thought that they may be tomorrow's indie writers."

Very probably! It looks interesting. I seem to remember seeing your story before. I might try putting a poem up, see what reaction I get.

message 4: by Andre Jute (new)

Katie wrote: "I seem to remember seeing your story before."

Let's see if they're deserving before I expend new material on them,

message 5: by Dakota (last edited Sep 09, 2012 12:13AM) (new)

Dakota Franklin (dakotafranklin) | 306 comments Interesting experiment. But the moment we gave Giselle a card with a budget for books on her iPad, she was out of there and reading only good quality literature.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Now that Andre's work is there, Wattpad has quality literature!

Okay, I've uploaded a poem. I have no idea how to draw attention to it on Wattpad itself. All the threads seem to be full of teenage angst and shorthand. But it's there anyway. We'll see if anything happens.

http://www.wattpad.com/7126581-portra...

message 7: by Dakota (new)

Dakota Franklin (dakotafranklin) | 306 comments Katie wrote: "Now that Andre's work is there, Wattpad has quality literature!"

Definitely. But I just wonder if Andre, even at his broadest, and writing about pets, surely a subject of interest to teenagers, isn't a bit subtle. I'm merely judging by a quick sampling, so I could be wrong.

Katie wrote: "Okay, I've uploaded a poem."

An excellent, moving poem. I may be wrong, but I think it is way over the heads of most Wattpad readers.

We'll see.

message 8: by Andre Jute (new)

Katie wrote: "Now that Andre's work is there, Wattpad has quality literature!

Okay, I've uploaded a poem."

Ha! Your poem is excellent, but neither of us is setting Wattpad alight. It may be that we're over their heads, or maybe just haven't got the right material.

The real question is, can Wattpad be useful as promotion for what either of us, or any other ROBUSTer, writes?

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Thanks, Andre. I think this might answer your question...

http://news.sky.com/story/982886/teen...

Personally I find it all rather depressing!

message 10: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I have a couple of YA-writer friends who like Wattpad because they can get authentic feedback from teens. I've never messed with it much myself.

message 11: by Andre Jute (new)

Katie wrote: "Thanks, Andre. I think this might answer your question...

http://news.sky.com/story/982886/teen...

Personally I find it all rather depressing!"

17 million reads for what is essentially fan fiction! Where's Keryl Raist? She's the one who knows about fan fiction.

"Depressing" is a polite way of putting it.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I don't know why it's depressing. She's writing, she's found a way to make some money at it, and she has a following. I hope she succeeds and has a long, prosperous career pleasing her readers.

message 13: by Andre Jute (new)

You don't rate originality highly?

When even a writer's publisher can find nothing more flattering to say about her than that he adds a British slant to me-tooism, my first response is, "Oh, poop, then why bother with her?"

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I haven't read her work so I don't know how original it is. If I were to read it, it'd be original to me because I've not read any vampire fiction.

It's just a genre like any other. I'm glad people are wanting to read, regardless of what they're reading -- and I'm not ready to be depressed over someone's success even if I don't care for her area of focus. As for originality, how much is there anywhere? It's all about voice, not plot.

message 15: by Andre Jute (last edited Sep 11, 2012 07:25PM) (new)

Crap. If a writer doesn't have the faintest spark of originality, just setting someone else's story against a different background -- for which we have the publisher's word here -- the writer isn't entitled to any respect.

Standards in indieland are low enough already. We can't afford any more complaisance among the small fringe of the talented.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments See, that's the difference between us. I can't tell an author lacks the faintest spark of originality without having read her work. In the meantime, I will give her the benefit of the doubt and I will respect her six-figure advance.

message 17: by Andre Jute (new)

Miaow.

message 18: by Katie (last edited Sep 11, 2012 10:39PM) (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Now stop it, the pair of you, or I'll have to get the cold water spray out!

It's not so much the fact that this child has been given a contract for her book that upsets me. It's the fact that I'm 52 and trying to break into much the same market.Sometimes it feels like I'm just floundering about like a beached whale. Occasionally I strike lucky and a bit of water washes over me, but my chances of getting out to sea seem fairly remote. It's okay for you two. You've had your career firmly founded for quite some time, but I'm just starting out. Who's going to look at a beached whale, however majestic, when the rainbow fish is getting the attention?

Yes, I'm just feeling sorry for myself!

message 19: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Hey Katie, you're not alone in this! I'm the same age with the same issues.

So don't go feeling all "Lone Ranger" - or you can if I can be Tonto?

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Ah, Katie, I sold my first story to a national publication with I was barely 17. I thought, gee, that was easy and kept writing, but then didn't sell anything else for decades, though I did get paid in contributor's copies when my work was published by small literary magazines. (Can't get rich that way.) I didn't get a six-figure deal till I'd already sold three earlier novels, and that was followed by nearly another decade of waiting between books. Another novel came after that, then nothing. I doubt I could ever sell another novel through a traditional publisher. I don't have it in me to even try, and not all that many decades ahead of me. For me, writing is what it's all about. If sales follow, that's just gravy.

Enjoy the journey (that's the important part) -- and if you make it to your desired destination, rejoice. But then keep going.

(As for breaking up my fight with Andre, please don't don't. He's so cute when he's angry.)

message 21: by Andre Jute (last edited Sep 12, 2012 09:47AM) (new)

I'm not angry. I'm amused. Don't you see how funny (sick) it is when a publisher says, "We gave this kid a six figure deal for ripping Stephenie Meyer"?

message 22: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I know you're not angry. I'm just yanking your chain -- but you ARE cute.

Publishers generally go with what's already selling; rarely is new ground broken. That's why I say that it's all about the voice. It's up to the author to own a genre through his or her talent.

message 23: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 160 comments 7,012,610! That book on Wattpad written by the 18 year old has been read 7,012,610 times! Available now for preorder on Amazon and already ranked...uh...#4617 in the Kindle Store.

Okay, I'm off to read the first chapter right now. Back in a minute.

My review: Umm...well. Sigh.

message 24: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Well, maybe a rising tide lifts all boats? Halo effects, blah, blah? :)

message 25: by Andre Jute (last edited Sep 17, 2012 01:24PM) (new)

Sierra wants us to respect her.

I like your review, Christopher.

A rising tide lifts only those boats already launched and passed through the surf. (I thought you were in the air force, Jeremy. When I was in the air force, back in the time of conscription -- sounds like a song you can hear at Kentucky roadhouse! -- at least 400 miles from the nearest substantial body of water, they spent months teaching us to ditch in big water... Typical.)

message 26: by J.A. (last edited Sep 17, 2012 06:20PM) (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I spent the bulk of my AF career in dark little rooms behind big blast doors and firmly on the ground.

If it wasn't for the fact that the end of the F-16 runway was right near my barracks, the only time I was close to planes was when I took a commercial plane to and from my various duty stations.

Besides, if I was in the Navy, I would have said, "A rising tide lifts all ships."

I remember once referring to some otherwise friendly sailor's new duty assignment (at least when I was in the US Armed Forces, the sailors, for the most part, always seem the most chill compared to the Soldiers, Marines, and Airmen) as a "boat" and he flipped the hell out on me, frothing about how a frigate isn't a "boat" and so on and so forth.

message 27: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I joined wattpad, just to see what happens. I've got some flash fiction.

message 28: by Patricia (last edited Sep 17, 2012 05:42PM) (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Correction, Andre. I said I respect her six-figure advance.