UK Book Club discussion

A - Z Author Challenge > Nikki's A-Z Challenge Sept 2012 -

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nikks (last edited Aug 19, 2015 08:16PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I decided to give this a go. Really not sure how long it will take me, but I would like to finish within the year.

A. Allende, Isabel - Inés of My Soul - 3*
B. Bidulka, Anthony - Tapas on the Ramblas - 4*
C. Carey, Peter - True History of the Kelly Gang - 4*
D. Diamant, Anita - The Red Tent - 5*
E. L'Engle, Madeleine - A Wrinkle in Time - 3*
F. Faulks, Sebastian - The Girl at the Lion d'Or - 4*
G. Gibb, Camilla - The Petty Details of So-and-so's Life - 3*
H. Haig, Matt - The Humans - 3*
I. Irving, John - The Hotel New Hampshire - 3*
J. Jonasson, Jonas The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - 3*
K. King, Thomas - Green Grass, Running Water - 3*
L. Landvik, Lorna - Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons - 3*
M. Mitchell, David - Cloud Atlas - 5*
N.
O. O'Connor, Anne-Marie - The Lady in Gold: The Extraordinary Tale of Gustav Klimt's Masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer
P. Patchett, Ann - Bel Canto - 4*
Q.
R. Riordan, Rick - The Lightning Thief - 3*
S. Skloot, Rebecca - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - 3*
T.
U. Unsworth, Barry - Morality Play - 4*
V. Verghese, Abraham - Cutting for Stone - 5*
W. Winton, Tim - Cloudstreet - 3*
X. Xiaolong, Qiu - Death of a Red Heroine - 4*
Y.
Z. Zusak, Markus - The Book Thief - 4*

message 2: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
In answer to a query on another thread Nikks, I personally find it easier to plan ahead on this. I've already got about 20 of the 26 for my 2013 effort already on my kindle, but given that I've got 100+ unread ones, this isn't that hard and more a reflection of my inability to not press that damn one click Amazon buy button lol.

message 3: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Thanks Ian, for my first year I was thinking of surprising myself with each book - it might make it exciting. I find that if there are books I 'have' to read, it can sometimes feel like a chore. Plus, coming on here, seeing all the great recommendations, other people's challenges and reads - my tbr list gets longer by the day.
As a suggestion for you - can you disable the 'buy now' button on your kindle ? Lol

message 4: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Finished the Henrietta Lacks book - a great read, raised lots of ethical and moral questions. Not too heavy on the science, but enough to understand what was going on.

So my 's' is done - yay ! Only 25 more to go. Decision time .... Hmmmm.... What shall I read next. Off to shop in my tbr pile :)

message 5: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments From s to p. Just starting Bel Canto by Ann patchett. Have always wanted to read it, so am excited. Plus tbr pile is one down :)

message 6: by Nikks (last edited Sep 24, 2012 12:07PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments 2. I finished Bel Canto today. I found it actually took me a little while to read, but I enjoyed every word on every page, it was magical and poetic. I was engrossed. The ending was abrupt, and even though the inevitable was happening I was having shivers run down my spine. I experienced all the emotions with this book - wow.

Onto my next letter now, H : Georgette Heyers,The Grand Sophy

message 7: by Nikks (last edited Sep 25, 2012 10:03PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments 3. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo Read this with my children and we all loved it. There were such great descriptions of Edward and his whereabouts and feelings, a really good story line. Very happy to have read it :)

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 730 comments Nikks wrote: "2. I finished Bel Canto today. I found it actually took me a little while to read, but I enjoyed every word on every page, it was magical and poetic. I was engrossed. The ending was abrupt, and eve..."

I've had a copy of Bel Canto on my shelves for ages. I feel inspired to dig it out now:)

message 9: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Hope you enjoy it Angela

message 10: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I have Bel Canto as well, want to read it but just a bit swamped with at least three books on the go and need 'revise' The Sisters Brothers' in time for my book group too! Soon... Soon...

I read my first Georgette Heyer this year, it was for romance in the genre challenge. Better than the cover lead me to believe!

message 11: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Haha that's how I feel about the georgette Heyer book I have - the cover is really cheesy & a bit off-putting ! Lol

The sister brothers is on my tbr list, but like you I am swamped. Now I'm doing this a-z challenge I am distracted by all the other great books I want to read. But.... Am taking them One at a time. Hope you enjoy bel canto when you get to it.

message 12: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Venetia by Georgette Heyer 'Nuff said!

message 13: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments hahahaha Now that would NOT attract me to pick it up.
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer How about this one?

message 14: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Had to give up on it - it just wasn't keeping my interest. I have Cloud Atlas sitting here, staring at me, so decided to start that instead.

message 15: by Louise (new)

Louise I shall be interested how that goes, one of the few books I abandoned (well,until recently, now I have two by my bed I cant get through) as couldnt get into it!!

message 16: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments It's a book club read, we'll go to the movie and then discuss the book - so I have to read it. Some people say how much they loved it, others abandoned it. I hope to love it. The movie trailer looks fab - almost makes you want to read it :)

message 17: by Nikks (last edited Oct 23, 2012 09:18AM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I am 3/4 of the way through Cloud Atlas. Its taken me a while to read because I put my back out. Can you imagine I couldn't even read it was that bad - shuddering at the memory.

Anyway, OMG this book is amazing. The middle section about Hawaii was hard to read, the writing style and altered words were a challenge but so rewarding. They added to the feel and authenticity of the place. I was absolutely gripped by it, dreamed about it etc. I felt I have a vested interest in these characters, I cared and worried about them when they weren`t `with me`. I have been to that exact place on the Big Island of Hawaii, so possibly that helped me see it so vividly.

I have really enjoyed the other stories too, some of them were also a challenge to read, but I felt like I knew the characters very well even after a few pages. David Mitchell has a fantastic and creative imagination. Each of the stories could have been a stand-alone book, but in this case, I`m glad they werent :)

Love, love, love and cant wait to see what happens in the end - I have absolutely no idea what will happen.

message 18: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I loved it too! Read it a while ago, actually would like to read it again but I have The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet to read first.

message 19: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3414 comments Mod
Nikks wrote: "I am 3/4 of the way through Cloud Atlas. Its taken me a while to read because I put my back out. Can you imagine I couldn't even read it was that bad - shuddering at the memory.

Anyway, OMG this ..."

So glad you're enjoying it, Nikks. I've managed to persuade my local bookclub to read it for November. I'm looking forward to it.... :)

message 20: by Nikks (last edited Oct 25, 2012 09:12AM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Its just so well written and imaginative. Love it.

I'm actually reading it for bookclub - some members will love it, but I think a few will have found it a chore to read. We're going to see the movie together next week. There are many things I am looking forward to in the movie, and amongst them is how soap is imbibed ! Also, cant wait to see the different worlds/times/places. It all really appealed to my imagination.

I guess you havent read it yet Liz ? Oh, what a treat you are in for :-)

Em - am interested to hear what you think of The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

message 21: by Nikks (last edited Oct 28, 2012 09:27PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Finished Cloud Atlas today, Wow what a journey. Loved it and it is now on my favourite ever reads list.

Now reading Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons

message 22: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Finished Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons. It was ok, but not really my type of book. I dont think I'm into the whole women unite type of thing.

Am now reading Inés of My Soul for some wonderful writing and experiences and Tapas on the Ramblas for some fun.

message 23: by Nikks (last edited Nov 18, 2012 11:06PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Finished Inés of My Soul. I enjoyed the historial aspect of the book, and felt invested in Ines's fate, but it was quite a harrowing read and all along I was rooting for the native Chileans !

message 24: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Sounds good Nikks. I've got Portrait in Sepia by Isabel Allende also by Isabel Allende - on my kindle. Not read any of her stuff before but I'll probably give it a go now you've said you liked Ines of My Soul.

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments I really enjoyed Ines but didn't finish Daughter of Fortune which was liked by everyone else in the book group.

message 26: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments She is a very good author. I enjoyed the reading probably more than the story.

message 27: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Darn it - another p author is bring read ! I did p already. Gotta read it though, which will slow completion of my a-z challenge if I do it too much.

message 28: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Back to my faithful favorite, Sebastian Faulks. The last book for me in the the French Trilogy. I'm loving it, admittedly not quite as good as Charlotte Gray and Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War, but fabulous none the less.

message 29: by Nikks (last edited Feb 02, 2013 09:32PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Fabulous read - The Girl at the Lion d'Or. I really enjoyed reading about that period in time, and the ill-fated love affair. Now onto something really quite different : True History of the Kelly Gang

message 30: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I just finished True History of the Kelly Gang. What a great read, even better for the unusual writing style and the lack of all the gushy emotional stuff. It certainly made a nice change. I really felt for Ned all the way through - just a poor victim of circumstance. So glad I read this book, and I would highly recommend it.

Now onto the latest installment from Alexander McCall Smith, which unfortunately will not count towards this challenge, as I already covered M and S ! Really, I should be smarter about it - note to self to desist unless I will never complete this challenge !

message 31: by Ian, Moderator (new)

I think many folk re-visit M & S far too often Nikks.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan I loved True History of the Kelly Gang too, Nicks. Pleased to hear you enjoyed it.
I also really liked Parrot and Olivier in America! And I'm hoping to get around to his other books one day....

message 33: by Nikks (last edited Feb 28, 2013 09:42AM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Yes, M and S seem to be a recurring theme. I do need to stop though, as I think I am a little behind in my A-Z challenge !

Susan, I havent read Parrot and Olivier in America. If you enjoyed that and loved The Kelly gang then I'm sure I will like it. Did you read Bliss or Oscar and Lucinda? I enjoyed those.

I am about to start a native book : Green Grass, Running Water. I have read some other stuff by this native american indian author, always very interesting and unusual. He has an interesting take on people, life and events.

message 34: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Try C & A or H & M as alts to M & S.

message 35: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments LOL
I am in Canada - so sadly cant try any of them. There used to be M&S stores here apparently, but not now. Interestingly, I cant think of a single store here with initials for the name ?

message 36: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3414 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I loved True History of the Kelly Gang too, Nicks. Pleased to hear you enjoyed it.
I also really liked Parrot and Olivier in America! And I'm hoping to get around to his other books one day...."

I love Peter Carey's writing. I've really enjoyed Jack Maggs, Illywhacker, but my favourite is Oscar and Lucinda.

message 37: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments I love Peter Carey as well and Illywhacker is a really good read. I saw him promoting Jack Maggs and he was a really unassuming nice guy . I've always meant to find a book he wrote about going to Japan with his son to look at game /comics (?) which I heard about and sounded interesting.

message 38: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I loved the illywacker too. Maybe I will try jack maggs for next years a-z challenge - thanks for the recommendation.

message 39: by Nikks (last edited Mar 28, 2013 02:10PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Currently very happily reading Cloudstreet by Tim Winton, but bookclub is looming and I have the 600+ page Cutting for Stone to read, so with much resentment I am having to put down one to start another ! As much as I enjoy being in a bookclub, sometimes it is restrictive.

message 40: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3414 comments Mod
Nikks wrote: "Currently very happily reading Cloudstreet by Tim Winton, but bookclub is looming and I have the 600+ page Cutting for Stone to read, so with much resentment I am having to put down one to start an..."

Don't worry, I think you'll enjoy Cutting for Stone...

message 41: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Liz, I think I will enjoy it. I think I just planned my reading badly this month.

message 42: by Ian, Moderator (new)

One of my fave ever reads Nikks....enjoy.

message 43: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments High praise indeed.

message 44: by Ian, Moderator (new)

It now only needs Em to give it her backing and with a moderator's 3 line whip in place, you will either have to love it Nikks or be morally forced to leave the group, head hung down in shame. No pressure then lol.....come on Adam Verghese....work the magic.

message 45: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I just started it, meeting the characters. It seems well written and who am I to not tow the line! Lol

message 46: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Yeah, that's all 3! I loved it too...

message 47: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments OK, I am hooked. I was totally engrossed by what coulda/woulda/shoulda gone wrong for those twins BUT thankfully did not !!! Am 1/4 way through .....

message 48: by Nikks (last edited Apr 15, 2013 08:59AM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Finished Cutting for Stone. Loved it, very well written, I was so involved with the characters and their lives - the sign of a well written book ! I was vaguely disappointed in the ending, but thoroughly enjoyed my time spent reading. Feeling a little bereaved now its all over !

Onto Z I think,The Book Thief

message 49: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3414 comments Mod
Nikks wrote: "Finished Cutting for Stone. Loved it, very well written, I was so involved with the characters and their lives - the sign of a well written book ! I was vaguely disappointed in the ending, but thor..."

Glad you enjoyed it! The Book Thief's wonderful too...

message 50: by Ian, Moderator (new)

I hate to think of your poor next book Nikks, trying to match the quality of Cutting for Stone and The Book Thief.

« previous 1