The meaning of life. discussion

Do we live by free will?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neil (new)

Neil (neil6) | 3 comments Mod
There are two main theories here. One says that our lives have been pre-determined and the other says that we have total free will in all our actions.I believe it is possible for these two viewpoints to co-exist and that they are not incompatible. What do you think?

message 2: by Mohit (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:50AM) (new)

Mohit Misra (mohitmisra) | 1 comments All has been destined.The universe or god has created everything including our thoughts,yet like the poet Iqbal said one must merge his will with the cosmic will.
Ramana Mahasrishi description- a cow with a rope around its neck.The cow can move within the limitations of the rope and thinks that's his free will.

My description- the movement of the earth at its poles.In the circle it makes it wobbles,this wobbling is also destined which we think is free will due to our ego. Ponder Awhile by Mohit K. Misra

message 3: by Myra (new)

Myra | 2 comments Yes, somehow free will and God's predestination work hand-in-hand, although I don't think it's humanly possible to fully comprehend this. We have free will but He knows what we're going to do anyway? Not sure. The meaning of life: from what I've been learning / what God has been teaching me / these last couple of years, is to LOVE. Simple (and as difficult) As That. And boy, do I struggle with that!

message 4: by Neil (new)

Neil (neil6) | 3 comments Mod
OK. I'd just like to say that we're all agreed on it being a bit of both. My take is however that it's only at certain key times in your life that fate really takes over. Please have a look at "Life Cycles" and my profile to get the story. I actually maintain we have a lot more free will than we imagine. Probably 80% rather than 20% or 50%. But if we look at the whole of our lives, there is undoubtedly a distinct pattern. Love to hear more views. After all we're all in this living business together,

Neil.