The YA Book Club discussion

Realistic Fiction > The Fault in Our Stars

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emma (last edited Sep 08, 2012 02:16PM) (new)

Emma What did you think about this book? Did you like it?

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire Ryan  | 14 comments I absolutely loved it! I guess I'm slightly partial being a nerdfighter and all but I just adored it...
So this is going to be a pretty long rant and I don't want to feel responsible for any spoiling so I'll just hide it all in case.... (:
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma you're right, that was a long rant. but i mostly agree. except for liking peter. i hated him. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Shambhawi (new)

Shambhawi P. (shambhawip) | 491 comments I HAVE NO WORDS FOR THIS. LITERALLY.

I just finished reading it for a challenge in a group read and I'm supposed to be writing a review but I don't think there are any words in my head right now. MINDBLOWN.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma mindblown because it is so darn depressing or because it is an awesome and super well written book?

message 6: by Shambhawi (new)

Shambhawi P. (shambhawip) | 491 comments Because I don't know what to think. It was depressing. It broke my heart into million little pieces. I cried so hard my eyes were swollen today. I fell in love with Augustus Waters. (view spoiler) This book was filled with raw emotions and yet the dialogues were so funny at times I was laughing hard, then crying, then doing both like a crazy person (view spoiler)

But as much as I loved it (and I did) I didn't really like it (I know that doesn't make any sense!!!) I don't like John Green as a writer. This is the third book of his that I've read (including Looking for Alaska and paper towns) and I have found his style of writing repetitive, the characters repetitive, the situations (almost) repetitive and so the whole book got very predictable and was totally ruined for me. The style of writing and everything made me feel like John was trying too hard.

Technically I didn't like this book. Emotionally I'm a mess. And I'm supposed to write a review for it since I read it for a challenge but I couldn't come up with anything to describe how I felt.

message 7: by Shambhawi (new)

Shambhawi P. (shambhawip) | 491 comments In hindsight the above post looks like a review to me. :D I'll recycle it.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma yeah, that is a review. i haven't read any of his other books so i don't know. are they worth reading? i think the fault in our stars was definitely worth the read, no matter how depressing. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Shambhawi (new)

Shambhawi P. (shambhawip) | 491 comments Yeah, a dab here and a change there and its officially my review now :D

I wish I hadn't read it despite the fact that I loved it (does that even make sense?) I don't know about his other books.. I wasn't impressed with either but I think I would like The Fault in Our Stars a hell lot more if I hadn't read them. You may like Looking for Alaska. Check it out.

The saddest part is that I have all of John Green's books with me and I am not sure if I am even going to read them :(

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma yeah, it does. i kind of wished i hadn't read it too. okay, i'll try it. well, you can just take a break from reading his books, so you might enjoy them when you eventually read them.

message 11: by Shambhawi (new)

Shambhawi P. (shambhawip) | 491 comments That's what I am planning to do. Just thinking about Augustus makes me tear up all over again. The wound still being fresh and stuff like that :(

message 12: by Emma (last edited Sep 22, 2012 10:13AM) (new)

Emma you will not be as sad soon, i think.
anyway, i wasn't as sad about it as i should've been, because my cousin told me that (view spoiler)

message 13: by Shambhawi (new)

Shambhawi P. (shambhawip) | 491 comments ^use spoiler html Emma!

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Emma (last edited Sep 22, 2012 10:15AM) (new)

Emma (view spoiler)

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments this book made me cry....

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma saddest book ever! :(

message 17: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments One of them, but not sure EVER.....

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma okay, one of the saddest books ever. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Abigail (last edited Oct 12, 2012 05:10PM) (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments I thought so too! Was so crushed...

message 20: by Grace P (new)

Grace P (gracefulreads) Would you recommend this book 2 me?

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma Yeah, if you like realistic fiction.

message 22: by Grace P (new)

Grace P (gracefulreads) I luv it!

message 23: by Ankanee (new)

Ankanee This book is one of the best books written in our century. You will immediately fall in love with the characters and it will break your heart! (in a good way... sort of) I LOVED IT (view spoiler)

message 24: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 65 comments I loved this book so much I was a little mad at the end but I would so read it again

message 25: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments I RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE WHO LOVES CONTEMPORARY!!!!

message 26: by Grace P (new)

Grace P (gracefulreads) Thanks I'm buying it on my Nook right now!!

message 27: by Abigail (last edited Nov 25, 2012 04:17PM) (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments Enjoy ;)

message 28: by Grace P (new)

Grace P (gracefulreads) Thanks!

message 29: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments Remember to tell us what you think!

message 30: by Grace P (new)

Grace P (gracefulreads) I will!

message 31: by Demi (new)

Demi (demi_food) I loved this book so much. While a few things were predictable, I didn't spend enough time thinking about it that when the time came, I was still surprised.
(view spoiler)
Even though I cried so much, it was such a beautiful story. It was a sad, beautiful tragic love story.

message 32: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (steampunk) | 71 comments I think the metaphorical resonances of this book are endless and interesting. It is once again Mr. Green doing the best he can do, and I believe that it will be cherished so bountifully for many years on.

message 33: by Arti (new)

Arti (aj3books) Please tell me I'm not the only one that cried like crazy at the end?

message 34: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments Arti wrote: "Please tell me I'm not the only one that cried like crazy at the end?"

I did too; s'all right to cry once in a while. I DO ALL THE TIME...

message 35: by Arti (new)

Arti (aj3books) This was the first time I seriously crying while reading. Usually its one tear but this one was like CRYING

message 36: by Abigail (last edited Feb 21, 2013 04:43PM) (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments Haha, I usually cry like that. Am just unnaturally sentimental when it comes to books.

message 37: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (cloveshay) | 4 comments Loved it more then I can put into words! This book was beautiful in every way and I was crying so much while reading it. Defiantly the saddest book that I have ever read but also the one that changed me the most. After this book I kind of look at life a little differently and I'm not so fast to judge. Hazel and Augustus are the most adorable and mature for their age couple I have ever encountered in a novel and I was sad to see the end of it.

message 38: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) This book is so beautiful that it made me cry. After reading it, there are sme questions left in my mind... like what happened to Hazel?

message 39: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (oftheheavens) | 336 comments Beatrice wrote: "This book is so beautiful that it made me cry. After reading it, there are sme questions left in my mind... like what happened to Hazel?"

Thats the best part... The fact that the ending wraps things up, but not so much that you knwo what will happen next... We will be left in the dark, but we can make up Hazel's future for her. I actually think that's a really main theme in the book.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm definitely in the minority when I say that I wasn't impressed with the book. Yeah, I cried at the end (A LOT), but it wasn't really that different from any other "cancer book." Making your reader cry is Cancer Book 101 stuff. I also feel like Green didn't really add anything novel in terms of theme and his characters were all recycled from past books. Personally, I thought the ending wasn't that ambiguous either. (view spoiler)

Basically I went into it thinking it was going to be some great piece of literary fiction, but it was very commercial and very safe. I don't think it was a bad book, but I wish I hadn't heard to many good things about it or I might have not been so disappointed.

message 41: by Posi (new)

Posi I agree Sarah. I heard so many amazing things about the book, so I felt s bit let down. Initially after I finished the last sentence, I was a crying mess and though the book was amazing because of the way it could make me feel. Then I realized that that was how I felt after every cancer book...

message 42: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Abigail wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "This book is so beautiful that it made me cry. After reading it, there are sme questions left in my mind... like what happened to Hazel?"

Thats the best part... The fact that the ..."

I agree with you. :)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

It was amazing but sosososososo sad

message 44: by Catrin Burgess (new)

Catrin Burgess (meowtron) | 124 comments I personally loved this book, it is easy for people to say it's better than Looking For Alaska when that book was his first. For people out there who think it's cliche though, I'd like to inform you that Looking For Alaska is based on events that actually happened to John when he was that age. I thought The Fault in Our Stars was a great book, I never thought I could ever relate to a character with cancer but this proved me wrong. I really don't like cancer books, my friends love them but I do think they're all so similar and I just don't like it, but I thought John focused on different aspects, and his characters aren't the common "Oh i want to lose my virginity and do this and that before i die". I enjoy the fact that John Green's characters all have flaws, they're not the overused girl character who is pretty but doesnt realise and is super modest and has two close friends, one who's kinda nerdy and the other is kinda skanky and she gets good grades and some hot guy comes along and she's shocked that he'd want her blah blah blah. None of the main characters in his books are like that at all, and he makes a point of giving all his characters interesting traits or backgrounds, like Augustus with his cigarettes, radar with the black santas, etc. I find with John Green's books, especially The Fault in Our Stars, even if i'm not super keen on the story, I can always connect with his characters. And although the ending was spoiled for me by my friends, I still cried and it was still just as sad. It's not my favourite John Green book but I would still recommend it to people who like this genre because it's a great book and hopefully the movie will do it justice. Also, for people who have only read one or two John Green books and aren't sure about the rest, read them because you'll get something different out of each one. (An Abundance of Katherines isn't a depressing book, it's funny and lighthearted so if you want a break from sad books you should read it)

message 45: by Erin (new)

Erin Can't wait for the movie!!
While were talking about John Green, What book by him should I read next? Which is your favorite?

message 46: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) This was my first John green and I loved it, I have since read all of his books.

message 47: by Emma (new)

Emma Jean (eburnham3) | 7 comments This was the first book I read by John Green, too. I LOVED this book! After this I read Looking For Alaska and really liked that one, too. I tried to start An Abundance of Katherines but I didn't like that one at all... Are any of his other books any good??

message 48: by Renee (new)

Renee I CRIED SO HARD!!!!! SOBBING SO MUCH!!!!!

@Emma, I actually didn't like Looking For Alaska, but I found all his other books okay at least. But I'd say this is definitely one of his best. Paper Towns was pretty good too.

message 49: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) I have enjoyed all of his books but my favorite is between the fault in our stars and paper towns. I also really enjoyed let it snow.

message 50: by Iwantmorebooks (new)

Iwantmorebooks | 5 comments Fell in love with it right away! Can't wait for the movie!

« previous 1