Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
This topic is about Trapped
PNR/UF > Trapped by Kevin Hearne (Iron Druid Chronicles #5)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Nov 16, 2012 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessi Overton (pixibell) | 281 comments Mod
Start: September 5, 2012 – End: September 6, 2012
Rating – 10

If I could just use 3 words to describe Trapped they would be: mysterious, tremble, & pandemonium. ;-)

Trapped starts off with the earth trembling and disturbing Atticus from his sleep, which is the simplest part of the whole story because right after that everything kicks into high gear. First Atticus, Granuaile & Oberon must escape Loki (who is completely insane). Next they have to face off with Brighid (for Atticus’ deception) , who in turn faces off with Morrigan. I have a love/hate relationship with Morrigan but in that scene she stole the show and you really didn’t see it coming. Then he had to try to bind Granuaile to the earth, (only to keep getting interrupted ) while fighting for their lives against trees, gods, vampires, dark elves, & an unknown enemy. And to top it off he had to complete his blood debt [which I recommend reading “Two Ravens and One Crow” before reading this book) to the Norse gods.

There was so much action that by the end of the book I was tired. The best part to me was the fact that some of the side storylines (from previous books) had either a conclusion or a decision made. I think readers will love the Atticus/Granuaile development because I did. I loved how they stopped fighting it. Oberon is still as funny as ever, maybe even more so because of the addition of 'Clever Girl' to the conversations. The “Unknown Enemy” is a head scratcher because you get no clues or hints except one and you still don’t know if it’s right or not. One of the best things about the character developments is that they didn’t only happen plot wise; Atticus for one acknowledged and admitted that everything that happened in the previous books and this one was his fault because of pride. And he apologized &/or wanted to apologize for the things he did that he knew was wrong. One thing that was pointed out to us by a couple of the characters is the fact that Granuaile & Flidais look a lot alike and I wonder if we’ll ever find out why. Now I’m excited for Hunted because of the way the book ended in a cliffhanger. I may be the only who feels this way after reading this book but if like Trapped is the first part of the story with Hunted being part two (especially after reading the excerpt in the end).

Overall I enjoyed this book (shoot I loved this book) and I would recommend this entire series to those who love a good adventure.

Favorite Line: “Bear with my fears for a while longer?” I asked. “For your sake and mine?”

Funniest Line: “One of them cursed at me in Old Norse –he called me the dwarf-dicked spawn of Hel’s half-dead twat, and I privately gave him props, so few people take the trouble to curse creatively anymore- then they came after me.”

Favorite Scene: “I laughed at this, and she dissolved into giggles. I rested my forehead for a moment in the crook of her elbow and enjoyed the release of tension. Then, as we both wound down, I planted a soft kiss high up on her shoulder. She quieted and a question formed in her expression.”

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Psstt... I really want to post my review, but I wanted to let you do yours first.

message 3: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok it's up now....:-)

message 4: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Nov 16, 2012 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles, #5) Trapped by Kevin Hearne

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Or on a scale from .5-10, I would give 10♥'s

Okay... I'm going to try something a little different. One would hope, at this point, that anyone interested in reading the Iron Druid (this installment specifically) would have read the previous books. So instead of telling you what a clever dog Oberon is (he seriously deserves a treat) or mention how funny it is (I SO wish I could hear the story -in person- of "The Purloined Poodle" featuring two dogs and Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago) or how action packed it is (okay, how many Gods is this Druid going to piss off?)... instead I'm going with a Top Ten List of why Trapped is one of the best installments to date of the Iron Druid:

10. Coyote is finally gone... for now at the very least. He's not necessarily a bad guy, but I was ready for a rest from his wily ways.

9. Druids kick some serious, serious butt- regardless if that butt is immortal or not. And yes, I meant to use the plural forms of Druids.

8. When in doubt, blame the dark elves. (Not to be mistaken with dwarfs. Totally different.) It's sound logic, trust me.

7. You get a dose of mythology and culture along with the book... you always wanted to know more of the finer points of Ragnarok and Greek and Roman Olympians..... right? Or for those of the fantasy history persuasion... you always wanted to know the mourning habits for a dwarf... right?

6. All the damn vampires. Not a sparkle to be found. And Gods. And Goddesses. Sometimes even 'clothes optional'.

5. Oberon is the way and the truth, Bacon Testify! You cannot attain 'badass-ness' without that ever required love of all things Bacon. (OR the three "H's" of doggie dogma.)

4. Oberon's running commentary and philosophy regarding human mating habits. Yeah, you heard that right.

3. Clowns. Coulrophobia for everyone! It's not just for kiddos anymore.

2. Paranoia. Just because you are paranoid does not mean there is not an army (maybe even immortal army with sharp, pointy teeth) out to get you.

1. So many fun movie references, you can cackle with glee and get your Geek on. Inconceivable!

So run, don't walk, and get your own copy once it comes out! And be sure to bring extra sausages for Oberon!

I want to thank NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for allowing me to read an ARC in exchange for a review.

message 5: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Love the review!!! I may just have to get the book based on #5, Alana!

Mirely (rumor_has_it) I really liked this one too!

message 7: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Alana: Don't forget you also find a whole other reason why one should celebrate Arbor Day and never piss off a tree

message 8: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Ok, you guys have sold me on it - I just bought the first book. This group is getting very expensive for me.