The Lower River The Lower River question

What's with the ending? SPOILER ALERT!!
Kim F Kim (last edited Sep 12, 2012 05:25PM ) Sep 08, 2012 01:12PM
Am I alone in the belief that he actually died at the end, and was halluciating about being saved? He's very sick, his final thoughts are of death and how he thought he'd die in Africa. He alludes to the kidnappers' van with the flat tires looking like a hearse. The rescue van is white and the rescuers' voices seem to call to him from far away. The ending is rather abrupt if taken at face value; if he has in fact died, it is more satisfying.

Great interpretation. I thought the ending was a little too good to be true but never thought it was a fever dream or hallucination.

Thanks for the new way of looking at it.

hmm I hadn't thought of that. I was just happy he was saved. what makes you think that?

Never occurred to me. I agree that what you describe could be more satisfying (but not as is; too ambiguous). Or maybe Hock could have made another desperate attempt to escape, with Zizi, that as the book ended seemed as likely to fail as to succeed (and we are left not knowing).

I thought the end felt a bit rushed, especially in context of the rest of the story. So perhaps your theory is right.