Goodreads in North Carolina discussion

New Member Introduction

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annette (new)

Annette Dunlap | 1 comments Hi, Everyone -
I wanted to introduce myself as a new member to the group. I live near Fayetteville, and I have just had my 2nd book published by SUNY Press/Excelsior Editions. The book is, "The Gambler's Daughter: A Personal & Social History," and it is part memoir about my growing up years with a father who was a compulsive gambler. It is also part history about gambling in society. I wanted to try to figure out what might have contributed to his habit, and I discovered that gambling has long existed in societies, and in Jewish culture, particularly. I was really surprised by everything I learned about how common gambling is, and the research also helped me to come to terms with having a parent who had an addiction. I welcome feedback from anyone who reads it.

message 2: by Mari (new)

Mari Mann (marimann) | 20 comments Welcome, Annette~

Congratulations on the publication of your book; I will definitely go check it out.

Mari

message 3: by David (new)

David Pierce (davidwpierce) | 3 comments I believe all of us veracious readers are wanna be writers. It may be a secret fantasy, but it is a factor of the draw to books. Congrats on realizing that dream Annette. Me, I am reader still telling myself I want to write. I have yet to write anything beyond a research paper or a letter to an editor. But, guess what I am always thinking about?

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lafferty Hi Everyone,

I recently wrote a novel about the founding of New Bern, "Knight of the Purple Ribbon". It's based on the memoir of my ancestor Christoph de Graffenried. You can read the first three chapters on Amazon.
Knight of the Purple Ribbon: A Novel

message 5: by David (new)

David Pierce (davidwpierce) | 3 comments Jennifer, I'm originally from New Bern...I will read your preview chapter tomorrow. Have you been to Berne Switzerland yet?

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lafferty David wrote: "Jennifer, I'm originally from New Bern...I will read your preview chapter tomorrow. Have you been to Berne Switzerland yet?"
Thanks David. I haven't been to Berne Switzerland yet but I'm planning to go soon.

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Vann I am not a new member but I'm looking for a good book club, possibly around my area outside fuquay varina. Or any good online book club! suggestions welcome! : )

message 8: by Mari (new)

Mari Mann (marimann) | 20 comments Kayla wrote: "I am not a new member but I'm looking for a good book club, possibly around my area outside fuquay varina. Or any good online book club! suggestions welcome! : )"

I wish I knew of one, Kayla! I tried to start a book club here on Knotts Island but had no luck, and don't know of any NC book clubs that are local. If you find one, let me know!

message 9: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Pickles (mrztanyapickles) | 4 comments I'm a new member! Hi guys!

message 10: by Mari (new)

Mari Mann (marimann) | 20 comments Hi Tanya! Welcome to the group!

message 11: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Pickles (mrztanyapickles) | 4 comments Thank you!

message 12: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Pickles (mrztanyapickles) | 4 comments What do you consider near? lol

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Pickles (mrztanyapickles) | 4 comments Well I live in Raleigh and have no issues meeting up

message 14: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 18 comments Hi all, I'm a new member, a reader with (I don't think) any secret desires to be a writer. Are any Raleigh area folks aware of the Read Smart Book Club that meets at the Cameron Village Library? It's a great set-up, with a different NC State professor leading the discussion each month. This month's book is Maya Angelou's Mom & Me & Mom on Thursday, Nov 20, at 7 pm. It's a fantastic group!

message 15: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Fox Hello all,

My name is Wes from Raleigh. I love science fiction, historical fiction, technothrillers, and love to pick up a classic every now and then. On top of that I've read a ridiculous amount of non-fiction mostly history, philosophy, biography, current events, and economics.

I've also tried my hand at being a writer myself, self-publishing two books The Fifth World and The Fifth World: The Times That Try Men's Souls, written under the pen name Jacob Foxx.

There are a couple good book clubs in Raleigh but I decided to also take advantage of Goodreads to get in touch with more readers as well as writers.

If anyone is working on any sci-fi I'm more than happy to be a beta-reader.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello,

Wes

message 16: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 18 comments Hi Wes! The NC State/Cameron Village group Read Smart is reading a (semi?) science fiction book next week, The Bees. I haven't read it yet myself but I'm looking forward to it.

message 17: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Fox Interesting premise... I might pick that one up.

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Watson (sherrylakegastonnc) | 1 comments Hi, I'm a new member - thanks for having me in your group. My name is Sherry and I live in Littleton NC on Lake Gaston. That is on the VA/NC line. I mostly read christian fiction and literary fiction. I am partial to a good christian romance. Of course; being from NC I love Nicholas Sparks and I am currently reading his newest book "See Me". I'm also reading Dave Ramsey's book "The Legacy Journey".

message 19: by Patti (new)

Patti | 1 comments Hi, I am a new member. My name is Patti. Was thrilled to find this group. Just arrived in Fayetteville in July, and we are in Spring Lake. We came from West Point in NY.
I read almost anything that catches my eye except self-help books : ). Right now I adore paranormal and historical fiction, but that can change at the drop of a hat. Love getting together with other readers.

message 20: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bundy | 5 comments Annette wrote: "Hi, Everyone -
I wanted to introduce myself as a new member to the group. I live near Fayetteville, and I have just had my 2nd book published by SUNY Press/Excelsior Editions. The book is, "The Gam..."

Annette wrote: "Hi, Everyone -
I wanted to introduce myself as a new member to the group. I live near Fayetteville, and I have just had my 2nd book published by SUNY Press/Excelsior Editions. The book is, "The Gam..."

This sounds very interesting. I'll look for it.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bundy | 5 comments Alexa wrote: "Hi all, I'm a new member, a reader with (I don't think) any secret desires to be a writer. Are any Raleigh area folks aware of the Read Smart Book Club that meets at the Cameron Village Library? It..."

I didn't know about that. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

message 22: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 18 comments Kathryn wrote: "Alexa wrote: "Are any Raleigh area folks aware of the Read Smart Book Club that meets at the Cameron Village Library?..."

I didn't know about that. Thanks for bringing it to our attention."

Their next meeting is November 18 - should be lots of fun!

Wednesday, November 18, 7:00 p.m., Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Dr. Rupert Nacoste, Professor of Psychology at NC State, will discuss this best-selling novel, named one of the best books of the year by The Washington Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Huffington Post, and BookPage.

This schedule can also be viewed here: http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/events/series...

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bundy | 5 comments Is there a list of upcoming events after this one?

message 24: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 18 comments I don't think anything else has yet been scheduled - I do know that they've decided to not do one in the month of December. They tend not to be scheduled too far in advance and I haven't yet heard anything about January. There may well be an announcement at the meeting on the 18th.

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bundy | 5 comments Thank you. I can't make this next one, but I certainly would like to attend in the future.

message 26: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 18 comments I'll post details as soon as I hear them!

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen Lowry (jenlowrywrites) | 3 comments Faith, Poems, and Bucket Lists: Devotional for Women Seeking More

Just published my first testimony Bible Study! Wanted to share with my other North Carolina readers and authors!!!! :)

God Bless,

Jen

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen Lowry (jenlowrywrites) | 3 comments Alexa wrote: "Hi all, I'm a new member, a reader with (I don't think) any secret desires to be a writer. Are any Raleigh area folks aware of the Read Smart Book Club that meets at the Cameron Village Library? It..."

Thanks for letting me know! I am right next door in Clayton, NC!