Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Cozy series with interesting themes?

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinepo) | 1 comments Hi fellow cozy readers!

I'm pretty new to the cozy mystery genre and I've easily gotten hooked to how much fun they are to read.

I want to add to my collection some cozy series with really interesting or odd themes! Themes that I would have never thought a mystery can be based around.

I've read Homicide In Hardcover which talks about book restoration and Dead Men Don't Lye which talks about soapmaking. I loved both of these and it was so much fun learning about various careers and crafts!

Others that I am looking forward to reading are:

Last Wool and Testament - Haunted Yarn Shop
Organize Your Corpses - Professional Organizer
Corpse Pose - Owner of a Yoga studio/Yogi
Scent to Her Grave - Spa Owner
At Wick's End - Candlemaking.

I can't wait to expand my knowledge on various topics and it's all because of cozies! Looking forward to hearing your suggestions too. Thanks!

message 2: by Fred (new)

Fred One series that I love and the reader has a chance to learn what goes into running an apple orchard, is the Apple Orchard series by Sheila Connolley. Very interesting stories, characters you would love to be friends with and just enough information on running an orchard.

message 3: by Nell (last edited Sep 09, 2012 07:15PM) (new)

Nell | 1035 comments Check out www.cozy-mystery.com for a listing of cozies by theme.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 150 comments You might enjoy my Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries series. Everyone has been involved with home buying and selling in some manner or other. The books take you behind the scenes in the real estate business while solving the murder(s).

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinepo) | 1 comments Fred - That sounds awesome! I'll definitely add the Apple Orchard series on my to be read list. Sounds like a fun subject.

Nell - Thanks for the website! I'll be bookmarking that. I can't wait to slowly but surely get through all the themes that are listed.

Nancy - Thanks for the suggestion! I would LOVE to dive into these since watching HGTV with my mom is one of my favorite things to do!

message 6: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Collins (Lorna_Collins) | 22 comments Our copies are all set in Hawaii. The first is at a writers' conference. The second takes our retired NYPD detective to Oahu as ac special investigator. you can read about them on our website www.lornalarry.com.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 738 comments Which of these would qualify as cozy mysteries? It's hard to tell from the blurbs on your website.

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) A few series come to mind

Gray Whale Inn Mystery by Karen MacInerney
Rose Harbor Inn by Debbie Macomber
both introduce you to the characters as guests of the inn.

Claire Gulliver Mystery by Gayle Wigglesworth 
She owns a travel book store and arranges tours.

Glenda at Large by Gayle Wigglesworth 
She acts as the in-between for a medium who has passed on.

Coffeehouse by Cleo Coyle
She manages a coffee house and you meet the characters as patrons or police who investigate the murders.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria Swan (scrittrice) | 71 comments Lorna wrote: "Our copies are all set in Hawaii. The first is at a writers' conference. The second takes our retired NYPD detective to Oahu as ac special investigator. you can read about them on our website www.l..."

Lorna, sounds very interesting.

message 10: by Heather L, Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8673 comments Mod
Hi Christine!

If you want unusual, you might be interested in the Ghost Dusters series by Wendy Roberts. The heroine owns a crime scene cleanup company.

I also like the Aaron Elkins Gideon Oliver series. Oliver is a linguistics expert and professor of physical anthropology known as "The Skeleton Detective."

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinepo) | 1 comments Looking forward to reading about these things! Thanks again for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming if you come across anymore!

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 71 comments I really enjoy the Ghost Dusters series

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria (Sexydva) | 9 comments I noticed on Amazon last night that there are two new books in the Ghost Dusters series coming out.

http://www.amazon.com/Fingers-Bone-Du...

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5217 comments Maria wrote: "I noticed on Amazon last night that there are two new books in the Ghost Dusters series coming out.

http://www.amazon.com/Fingers-Bone-Du......"

Thanks for the heads up! This is good to know!!

message 15: by Heather L, Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8673 comments Mod
Maria wrote: "I noticed on Amazon last night that there are two new books in the Ghost Dusters series coming out."

Really, really? I liked the first three books, and was disappointed there hadn't been more in so long. Thanks, Maria -- I will definitely be checking that out!

ETA: Ah, man... It looks like they will be ebook form only. That rots!

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 1 comments The Ghost duster series is excellent. I can't wait for the next one to come out it has been awhile. This series is what started my love of cozy mysteries.

message 17: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3499 comments Mod
Well, I've just read she's publishing a different mystery book with Carina Press on January, we'll see ;)