Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) Little House in the Big Woods discussion

Read in school

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Isabell Rennie I read this book with my mom when I was in kindergarten. It was the first book I ever read! : )

Laura Loved all the Little House books and read and reread them growing up. I think I liked Laura so much because it's MY name too :-) Also, my oldest daughter is Caroline, which I was OK with as a name (my husband picked it) partly because Laura's mom was Caroline!

Heidi Not only did I read and re-read the LH books over and over... but I remember turning the corner of our crawlspace into a covered wagon to head "out west" with the dogs (and my little brother when I could bribe him to be Charles).

And I remember getting to stay up late the nights that LH was on TV... those truly were simpler times!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

i was laura for the duration
and little house in the big wood was amazing to me
filled me with a thirst for adventure

Laura Watching LH on TV was a highlight of my young life as well! I know have season 1 on DVD and have my girls enjoying it as well :-)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

i went to the used bookstore today and found a 50 cent paperback copy of LH on the Prairie which i promptly bought for my granddaughter
now i need to find lh in the big woods and read that to her first wheee

Karen I have even been to the Little House in Mansfield Missouri twice. I so loved all these books. The Little House in the Big Woods was my very favorite.

Maria my 7 yo son have been reading this book, and he is so interesting with the other series of Little House

Kressel Housman Karen wrote: "I have even been to the Little House in Mansfield Missouri twice. I so loved all these books. The Little House in the Big Woods was my very favorite."

I've also read these with my son. His favorite is Farmer Boy, which is about Almanzo.

Keeli i love little house in the big woods

message 11: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat I read this book in 4th grade, i iked it

Gemma I read this book in 5th grade and enjoyed it very much!

Cristina I remember reading this book when I was in the 4th grade. I still have the book the book that I was given in school.

message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I read and re-read them all several times and lived them in my mind. I started reading them in 3rd grade but not for school. I live in SD, and one of my favorite childhood trips was to DeSmet to tour the Ingalls's home (now a museum) and the surveyor's house and then attend the yearly paegent production. I was 9 and had all the actors (locals) sign my program. I even dressed up as a "prairie girl" to attend the play :)

Kressel Housman Some of you may be interested in some of the academic discussion amongst adults about the books. The Ghost in the Little House argues that the books were actually ghostwritten by Rose, and Becoming Laura Ingalls argues in Laura's favor.

Julia, dude call me JJ i know rose followed her mother's writing books

Shelly Ann My sister's and I fought over it!

Caroline I loved the LH TV series when I was growing up and read some of the books as a child. If it was on TV now I would watch it again

Kressel Housman Carolina wrote: "I loved the LH TV series when I was growing up and read some of the books as a child. If it was on TV now I would watch it again"

I recommend re-reading the entire series, or at least from By the Shores of Silver Lake onward. That's where the series really diverged from the book -with Mary's blindness and Laura's increasing responsibility.

message 20: by Joey (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joey V. Carolina wrote: "I loved the LH TV series when I was growing up and read some of the books as a child. If it was on TV now I would watch it again"

Depending on where you live/who your cable provider is, you can still find it on TV. The Hallmark Channel has the reruns (although holiday programming may be replacing them for the next few weeks)

Caroline Do you think it would be possible to be to old to read it? I only have the basic tv.

Kressel Housman No, you can't be too old to read the series, and some are best appreciated at older ages, namely By The Shores of Silver Lake, The Long Winter, Little Town on the Prairie, and These Happy Golden Years.

Warning: Little Town on the Prairie includes one awfully racist scene.

message 23: by Joey (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joey V. I don't think there's an age limit to this series. I read them almost as soon as I was able to read, but they're not specifically intended for children, so adults can enjoy them as well.

Caroline All right well I might add them to my want to read list then

Kressel Housman Here's a good fansite for those interested http://beyondlittlehouse.com/

Caroline OK thanks

Evelyn I absolutely loved this whole series and read them over and over when I was growing up. I still have all the books and have been known to re-read 1 or 2 if I am confined to bed while sick as an adult. Very comforting.

message 28: by Kaj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaj Samuelsson I wish I had been told to read these books in school! Instead I was forced to read books I didn't want to read (like the Hobbit that I didn't understand at all) and it took another 2-3 years before I really started to read, and then it was Westerns and the LH series that got me hooked.

message 29: by Mrs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs Benyishai It is also the first book I read when I was in first grade and ai read one a week until I was 12 since then I read them once ayear(I am now 63) I have often imagined visiting Des Smet and other houses Lucky ones who are able to

Kressel Housman Actually, for fans of the TV show, there's going to be a gathering of fans and actors in Walnut Grove in the summer of 2014.

Juliea Q Smith I don't even know how many times I reread the entire series when I was growing up. Too many to count. I just adored them, and I think Little House in the Big Woods was my favorite. I really liked all the descriptions of how they made their food for the winter.

Shayla Nuttall I loved every single moment that I took to read these books. They were so touching. The Ingalls family definitely defines what faith and working together means. I think everyone should read these books! SO GOOD!!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Carolina wrote: "I loved the LH TV series when I was growing up and read some of the books as a child. If it was on TV now I would watch it again"

It IS a bit of a shame, that it is not on TV, But in my country, New Zealand, you can find it on DVD. I enjoy the series and TV series XD

message 34: by Mrs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs Benyishai as an adult I have found their later family life sad. They moved far away from their grandparents and aunts uncles and cousins and the Ingilss themselves have no decendents only Laura had one child who had no children so these happy family just died out.