The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1) The Kill Artist discussion

Full Allon series

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I wouldn't have persevered through the whole series had I not known from other reviews what Daniel Silva does with this protagonist. He informs (with bias) a point of view of events in history in particular post WWII Europe, South America and Isreal. Interesting from that perspective. The series gets better because the characters stay the same and I was glad to meet up them again in each book. They became more interesting as they aged. Now I have to think about who I would like to see play these roles in the movie.

message 2: by Derek (new)

Derek Interesting. I just read Hunting the Midnight Shark, the first by Conrad Brasso ... I think he shows the same kind of promise.

Kirk I just picked up "Moscow Rule" (#8 in the series) from the library, one of only two they have. Any reason not to start the series in the middle?

JulieLaLa I've only read the first one and wasn't completely sold on the series, but may come back to it because of your input!

Richard Toscan Kirk wrote: "I just picked up "Moscow Rule" (#8 in the series) from the library, one of only two they have. Any reason not to start the series in the middle?"

I've just read the first and most recent one -- that latest stood well on it's own and while there are references to past events in the series, I don't think these are significant enough to start reading from #1.

Kirk Finished #1 this weekend, and thought it average at best. About the same as #8. Probably won't seek out any more.

Richard Toscan The most recent one (The English Girl) is more interesting than #1 - the only other I've read - because of its inside look at politics in both Israeli and the UK. Admittedly, they're really not a lot more than your basic what-happens-next novel and Gabriel Alon's art restoration hobby seems oddly disconnected from his character and the central events of the novel, but then, Nero Wolfe always had his orchids.

message 8: by Fuwa (new)

Fuwa I bought a copy of The English Girl and have read about a quarter of it. I was just browsing for other books of this series since it was pretty interesting up to that quarter.
I'm having doubts now after most reviews said it's biased and how it sounds as if it's another type of anti-Islam sort of book.

Is the book, in whole, portray the Muslim community as the antagonist, or is it just that way from the perspective of the main character?

Sharon The first book I read in this series was The English Girl, and I got hooked. Then I read the first three. I thought they were all really good. I love Gabriel. I would say they are stand-alone novels. It wouldn't matter where you start. I normally don't read from the best sellers list, except for Daniel Silva. I don't know what any of you mean by the "bias" and "anti-" whatever remarks. This series is very popular.

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Silva is a very talented writer. He knows how to tell a story, and his characters are all interesting, multi dimensional people. Yes, he has a point of view, but that makes his books even better in my opinion. I am working my way through the whole series and also read The Unlikely Spy which is not a Gabriel Allon book, but an imagined tale of spies in WWII Britain and protecting the secrets of the Allied invasion very much like Ken Follett's Eye of the Needle. I love his writing. Always engrossing.