Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Headphones/earbuds

Comments (showing 1-50 of 177) (177 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4354 comments Since it's not book related, thought I'd bring up here that I was a fan of Skullcandy's "Ink'd" earbuds ... until they replaced them with a new line, that seems to work well for music, but worse for spoken word (books)! I'm keeping the pair I bought recently as backup for ones that break in future, but definitely not going to use them as a primary set.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1791 comments Love my Panasonic's - I have 3 pairs one for my work, purse, and home. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE...

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 163 comments How long have you had them? I find that most headphones/earbuds break anywhere from 1-2 days (the very cheap ones on amazon that are only a few dollars for a set of 3) to several months. These have been my favorite so far, they last only about 6-7 months and have a warranty (although I do use them about 2-8 hours a day, so I am a heavy user): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004...

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1791 comments I have had them for over a year and they keep going strong!

message 5: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4354 comments I've used the new Skullcandy for a few days running now. There is a warranty on them, but I've had mixed results getting those honored by them in the past.

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 163 comments John that is why I decided to just buy a new set rather than pursue my warranty. Not sure if it was a mistake, but I didn't want to spend an hour of my timing getting a new pair when lasting for 6-7 months was the longest I had a pair last ever. My husband just had his Skullcandy he bought break after a week or so (maybe less). One side is still operational. I hope you have better luck!

Heidi that is great, I need the microphone and switch on the cord though. As people from work and my family call during my commute and if someone comes in to my office I need to be able to turn my headphones off quickly. I am going to check in to weather that brand has one with the switch/microphone on the cord. I wonder if that makes it weaker and more likely to break.

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 437 comments I really like the Sony earbuds that I get for $14.95 at Target. Unfortunately, I've had a couple sets go out in a few months. The longest lasting ones I've had are the JVC Marshmallow in-ear earbuds. However, they were white memory foam and got really, really gross. They're great quality though and still working. My next earbuds might be JVC, but they don't sell them at Target and I'm usually to impatient to order some through Amazon. (Amazon has the best prices.)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1791 comments Regina wrote: "John that is why I decided to just buy a new set rather than pursue my warranty. Not sure if it was a mistake, but I didn't want to spend an hour of my timing getting a new pair when lasting for 6..."

Good luck! I really like the Panasonic brand - our Panasonic Plasma tv has been going strong for 5 years and I still think it beats any LCD out there as far as picture and sound quality.

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 163 comments I get free two day shipping for all my Amazon purchases, so it satisfies my immediate need. Heidi, I added one to my cart for later -- to remember. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sandi I did have good luck with a JVC one (lasted 2 months - haha, that seems to be good luck with these things).

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (KimMR) | 83 comments I have great Sennheiser ear buds. They didn't cost that much and they've lasted for a couple of years so far.

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3405 comments I have a question on a very basic level. Do earbuds give as good sound as headphones? Secondly, I have small ears. I have yet to find an earbud that fits comfortably in my ears. I want to be able to use them for extended listening. I want good sound. Neither do I want something that is going to stop functioning properly in a few months; I would rather spend more once than have to go shopping all the time.

I am currently using JVC Stereo headphones HA-NC80. My only real complaint is that they are cumbersome, warm and the flexible ear attachment is a pain to get in the right position when placing them on your head. The sound is excellent. They have "noise canceling".

Kim, your Sennheiser earbuds sound interesting.

Will I be allowed to test the earbud size before I purchase them? As I said, my ears are s-m-a-l-l! I want them to be comfortable and stay in my ear.

message 12: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I have 4 pairs of headphones/earphones:

Bose Noise Cancelling - The best of course but really expensive (cost more than my iPod.) But before I had this, I couldn't listen to audiobooks in the NYC subway because there is so much freaking noise. I started listening to audiobooks after my Hubby got this for me so they were soo worth it.

2 JVC Gumy earphones - One for the office and one for the gym (no way I'll exercise in my expensive headphones, LOL!)

1 Apple earphone with mic - I got this recently when I was traveling so I could use Skype. I thought they were expensive at around $45 but it was worth being able to talk to my family on the cheap while I was abroad.

message 13: by Monique (new)

Monique | 10 comments I'm not a big fan of earbuds, so I only use them when laying in bed listening to music, or watching netflix on my tablet. For my everyday use, I have an amazing set of sennheiser wireless headphones. When I go into the office or work-out, I have a set of Sennheiser headphones where the band goes behind my head instead of over it. I love them. They're comfortable and they sound fantastic. When I travel, I have a pair of Sony Noise-cancelling headphones. They sound OK, and the noise cancelling isn't as good as the Bose, but the price was perfect at like $50 bucks. Before I had my Sennheiser Wireless, I had a set of Sony studio headphones that sounded great, but after 10 years, they started falling the foam on the ears and headbands was pretty well gone. I don't like to spend a lot of money on ear buds for the simple fact that they're too delicate and I still haven't found a pair that fit my ears well for long periods of time.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1791 comments I use my wireless Sennheiser headphones to listen to the tv when my hubby is busy or sleeping. I use my earbuds for when I am walking or exercising.

I have small ears as well and like the Panasonic earbuds because they fit perfectly in my ear and I can barely hear anything else. For $6.00 you can't really beat that.

message 15: by comfort (new)

comfort | 34 comments Wow, I don't buy anything so expensive as they always stop working on one side after a few months (or less) so I just get cheapies from the $2.00 shop(as we call them over here) for about $A5. The ones I get have 3 sets of plugs in different sizes and these fit my small ears. The noise reduction is not great but since I use mine whilst driving (mostly) I want to hear what is going on around me.
Recently, however I found my earbuds for my Samsung phone fit my m3 player and these work well.

message 16: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4354 comments I've found the ones that were too cheap were poor audio quality, tinny and weak output.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim (KimMR) | 83 comments Chrissie wrote: "Kim, your Sennheiser earbuds sound interesting.

Will I be allowed to test the earbud size before I purchase them? As I said, my ears are s-m-a-l-l! I want them to be comfortable and stay in my ear...."

Chrissie, I've used both headphones and earbuds. I use earbuds now because they're lighter, they take up less space and are generally less cumbersome to carry around. At home I plug the iPod into a player, so the issue of headphones or earbuds doesn't arise.

My Sennheiser earbuds are the MM30i model. I like the remote control feature, they are noise reducing and the sound is good. I also have small ears and I use the smallest of the silicone ear adaptors which come with the earbuds. I'm not sure whether trying them out in advance would be possible. Maybe you could go to a hifi store and talk to someone there about it?

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3405 comments Kim, thanks for all the info. I have had good experience with Sennheiser before. I would like to try earbuds though!

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 09, 2012 09:05PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments I love my Auvio earbuds that I get for $15.99 at Radio Shack. I had to replace my last set not because they wore out, but because I was wearing them while gardening and .. you guessed it ... accidentally snipped the cord while leaning over snipping buds. Doh!

I've considered replacing them with something of higher quality (these are fine but I dream of something that is exceptional) but not sure I want to spend $30+ for the next up in price. But I will read these posts carefully to see what folks recommend.

edit: the Auvios also come with three different foam adapters. I consider my ears small (but never noticed whether the inner ears are small so I dunno) but I use the middle size foam adapter.

message 20: by Sandi (last edited Sep 09, 2012 09:13PM) (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 437 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I love my Auvio earbuds that I get for $15.99 at Radio Shack. I had to replace my last set not because they wore out, but because I was wearing them while gardening and .. you guessed it ... accidentally snipped the cord while leaning over snipping buds. Doh!"

So, you snipped the wrong buds?

We really need smileys here.

message 21: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 09, 2012 09:49PM) (new)

Chrissie | 3405 comments Oh God, Carol, you must have really been annoyed! Jeez.

That sounds like something I would do.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1791 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I love my Auvio earbuds that I get for $15.99 at Radio Shack. I had to replace my last set not because they wore out, but because I was wearing them while gardening and .. you guessed it ... accid..."

Ha! I recently got one of my pairs stuck in the leaf blower suction and they were toast (although the right ear still worked!) Directly after that happened I washed my husbands earbuds in the washer (he left them on the bed and I washed the sheets). Ugh!

message 23: by John, Moderator (last edited Sep 10, 2012 11:30AM) (new)

John | 4354 comments Instead of the leaf blower, I vacuumed up some earbuds not long ago; they were pretty badly mangled. They had been plugged into my laptop, but were trailing on the floor, such that I hadn't noticed to pick them up out of the way.

message 24: by Tracey (last edited Sep 10, 2012 11:23AM) (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) | 399 comments Regina wrote: "the microphone and switch on the cord..."

That's what I need to get. When I don't have a shirt pocket, which is usually, the iPod goes into, shall we say, another sort of a pocket, and listening while shopping usually involves a terribly attractive plunge down my neckline to take it out pause the book before engaging with another human.

I have gone through I think three or four sets of earphones; RadioShack offered me a store warranty for the Luvio set I just bought, and I took it, but I doubt I'd bother - they're not very expensive, so I'd probably just buy a new pair. Or not. (The young man who sold me on it said that the runners and hikers who buy earphones there can go through up to a set a week.)

The problem I've had so far has been a separation at the join from being wrapped around the iPod to go in my pocket. I have not (yet) sucked any up into any sort of device, but give me time.

message 25: by Lady of the Lake (new)

Lady of the Lake | 61 comments Chrissie wrote: "I have a question on a very basic level. Do earbuds give as good sound as headphones? Secondly, I have small ears. I have yet to find an earbud that fits comfortably in my ears. I want to be able t..."

Companies make earbuds designed for women for
The petit ear Canal. Go on amazon put in search earbuds for woman and it'll bring up some choices. For $15 or less. I had recently bought some on a special daily buy thing can't remember what site it was but didnt realize they were for Small Ear openings..they were much to small. They were
Nice However the line was clothe not plastic which keeps them from tangling easily but they were much Too small for my ears. So just google online search even and u Will get plenty of things popping up with choices. So easy these days to find what we specifically need! No reason to use what doesn't work or to settle.
Good luck!

message 26: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins | 1181 comments Heidi and John! Thank you for the much needed laugh - I'm crying. I'm recommending a broom for John and a rake for Heidi. I'm admitting to using a pair of earbuds that both my teenage daughters rejected. They are a no-name brand that have lasted for years and couldn't have cost more than 4.99. I can detect no difference in sound quality between them and the earbuds that came with my iPod. The reason for the rejection is because each bud is covered in brilliant green glitter :). The kids all have or want Beats headphones, but the price is steep and I'm not sure if they are really worth it or because the teens have brand mania.

message 27: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4354 comments I think I have a pair of earbuds that have each side as a faux M & M candy around somewhere; they were cheap, and the quality was pretty bad as I recall. Right now, I'm using a pair of Phillips that have decent audio quality, but don't really fit snugly enough to provide a good seal.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3405 comments Lady of the Lake, will follow your advice. Thanks.

message 29: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1556 comments I've been using JLabs J3 earbuds for a couple of years; they run about $20 at Amazon most of the time, though there are sometimes special deals. You can buy at the website (jlabaudio.com) directly, and if you get on their mailing list (very few emails) you'll get info on any deals. JLabs has a one-year warranty on their earbuds, and if yours fail within that time, they will replace them for free; they do ask that you send back the defective ones.

No matter how careful I am with mine, one side or the other seems to stop working in 8-9 months, probably a broken wire at the plug end, but JLabs has never given me any trouble about replacement.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1791 comments I rec'd a pair of nice set of earphones with my ipod touch but I hate that particular type -- I like the smaller ones that fit right in my ear (marshmallow earbuds).

message 31: by Kim (last edited Sep 12, 2012 10:09PM) (new)

Kim (KimMR) | 83 comments Tracey wrote: "When I don't have a shirt pocket, which is usually, the iPod goes into, shall we say, another sort of a pocket, and listening while shopping usually involves a terribly attractive plunge down my neckline to take it out pause the book before engaging with another human.

Tracey, I'm glad I'm not the only one! When I go out for a walk in the morning and sometimes when I'm on the bus going to work, I put my iPod in the same sort of pocket. However, I have the remote control thingy on the cord, which is a blessing!

Tracey wrote:The problem I've had so far has been a separation at the join from being wrapped around the iPod to go in my pocket.

I had that problem with the first set of earbuds I purchased. When I bought some new ones, the guy in the Apple Store saw me wrapping them around the iPod and he told me that's what had probably caused the separation in the first place. I stopped doing it and my next earbuds have lasted two years so far with no signs of separation at all.

..."

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I use the JVC Marshmallows and have had no problems. The earbuds that come with iPods don't fit in my ears, which is too bad as the sound quality is fine for me. I haven't had any JVCs break or fail. Before I stow them (by wrapping them around the iPod), I move the slide up so the join isn't as vulnerable.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1791 comments Osho I need marshmallow type earbuds too. I tried the ones that came with my ipod once and they were not comfortable.

message 34: by Alan (new)

Alan (AlanMintaka) | 179 comments Monique wrote: "When I go into the office or work-out, I have a set of Sennheiser headphones where the band goes behind my head instead of over it. I love them. They're comfortable and they sound fantastic. ..."

I have a pair of those "back of the head" Sennheisers too. They are great for audiobooks, especially if you're active indoors or outdoors in warm weather - as in weather where you can wear low collars. High collars tend to rub against the neck band and disturb the plugs. For music the fidelity is a little on the flat side, but I use them just about exclusively for audiobooks, so I'm not bothered by that.

I've had them for about 4 years now. At first I was skeptical about the thin single chord, but the phones have proven to be very durable. They've been through a lot, especially when I was first getting used to them and not being careful about keeping the chord tucked into my shirt. They were ripped off my face many times until I got the hang of it!

In cold weather when I have to wear higher collars and/or hoods, I use a pair of big, cushioned Skull Candy headphones. They double as ear-muffs, which are handy things to have where I do my Winter walking. Plus they sound fantastic with either audiobooks or music.

I wanted to add that neither the Sennheisers nor the Skull Candy phones are noise-cancelling. They're noise-reducing, which I'd rather have for safety when I'm out walking, and so I can hear what's going on in the background when I'm working around the house. This is probably why the music fidelity for the Sennheisers is somewhat flat. They could probably be adjusted to be worn "in the ear" and thus provide better fidelity. However, for comfort and noise reduction only, I prefer to wear them on the "platform" (what's that area inside the ear called?) just behind the opening to the ear drum. Each side of the band hooks over the top of the ear before going behind the head, thus holding the plugs in place securely without being tight at all. (Don't tell me I'm wearing them upside down!!!!)

Those two phones work perfectly for my audiobook listening at all times of the year, in or out of the house. On rare occasions I've also used the cheap buds that came with my Sansa Clip+, such as when I had to work lying on my back under a car, train table, radio equipment in the fallout shelter, etc. Obviously those are the exceptions to the rule.

Happy Listening,
Alan Mintaka

message 35: by Jen (new)

Jen (JenHun) | 8 comments I have Rocketfish HD Stereo bluetooth headphones. They are designed for working out and go behind the head. I love them since I wear headphones all day at work. I can use my phones voice control, answer calls, as well as control the iPod functions on my phone/device from them.

message 36: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments Sandi wrote: " Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I love my Auvio earbuds that I get for $15.99 at Radio Shack. I had to replace my last set not because they wore out, but because I was wearing them while gardening and .. you guessed it ... accidentally snipped the cord while leaning over snipping buds. Doh!"

So, you snipped the wrong buds?

We really need smileys here. ..."

LOL! exactly!

message 37: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments Chrissie wrote: "Oh God, Carol, you must have really been annoyed! Jeez.

That sounds like something I would do."

Chrissie, luckily I always keeps the original buds I get with the iPod or whatever, so it didn't stop me for long, but they are usually lower quality so I am mildly annoyed until I go out and replace them."

message 38: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 24, 2012 05:14AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments Tracey wrote: "I have gone through I think three or four sets of earphones; RadioShack offered me a store warranty for the Luvio set I just bought, and I took it, but I doubt I'd bother - they're not very expensive, so I'd probably just buy a new pair. Or not. ..."

Tracey, this was my thinking when I was faced with the warranty decision when I bought the replacments for the bud-snipping incident. Other than that, I haven't had to replace them so I think I'd just buy a new set.

message 39: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments Kim wrote: "Kim (KimMR) | 32 comments Tracey wrote: "When I don't have a shirt pocket, which is usually, the iPod goes into, shall we say, another sort of a pocket, and listening while shopping usually involves a terribly attractive plunge down my neckline to take it out pause the book before engaging with another human.

Tracey, I'm glad I'm not the only one! When I go out for a walk in the morning and sometimes when I'm on the bus going to work, I put my iPod in the same sort of pocket. However, I have the remote control thingy on the cord, which is a blessing!

LOL. I ususally use my Shuffle when I walk, which handily clips onto my outer clothing. But sometimes I take my iTouch, and if I don't have pants or shirt pockets I stuff it into my natural "pocket." Since i don't have the volume control on the ear bud chord, this makes for some unattractive groping if I have to raise the volume or change tracks. Can't imagine what the neighbors think.... I recently bought one of those arm band holders which should solve the problem.

message 40: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4354 comments A Shuffle for audiobooks would drive me right over the edge, with no display to tell me how far along I am in the book!

message 41: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments John wrote: "A Shuffle for audiobooks would drive me right over the edge, with no display to tell me how far along I am in the book!"

I know, John. You wouldn't believe what I put up with, but I'm stuck on this little guy (my Shuffle).

I'm sure I would have become a Clip+ convert if it were compatible with Macs.

message 42: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 223 comments I'm feeling a little guilty when I read this thread. I have a pair of Etymotic Hf5 that I've had for a long time. Three plus years. They are great.

message 43: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 399 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "John wrote: "A Shuffle for audiobooks would drive me right over the edge, with no display to tell me how far along I am in the book!"

I know, John. You wouldn't believe what I put up with, but I'..."

I have one, and it works with the Mac, you just have to play with it a little bit. I may have the Zip, though, is the Clip+ an older version? I just know I got it because I didn't want to pay a million dollars for an ipod of any sort.

For those who have trouble with wrapping their cords, I do the same thing, but I do have a set I think from Sony that's really cheap but the sound quality has been fine. But it has a little case you just wrap the cord up into and it protects it from getting tangled while making it compact and not damaging the cord.

message 44: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4354 comments The Zip is the newer version of the Clip series, with the main difference being that it has a color display screen for cover art.

message 45: by aprilla (last edited Oct 02, 2012 12:41PM) (new)

aprilla | 242 comments Thanks for that info John. I love my clip+ and have a backup but I live in fear that the basic workings of the clip/clip+/zip will disappear for all sorts of 'improvements' that I as a simple audiobook only listener have no interest in.
:)

message 46: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4354 comments I bought a backup Clip+ also recently myself!

message 47: by aprilla (last edited Oct 04, 2012 02:55PM) (new)

aprilla | 242 comments I just had a quick look about and the Clip+ is still plentiful, the price has come down slightly only, yet I'm feeling a bit of 'should I stock up' paranoia!!

Has anyone experienced both the Clip+ and the Clip Zip and can you tell us if the operating system (for audiobooks) works the same way, is not as good, or is improved. That would be most appreciated ...

I would really like to be able to customise the menu so Audiobooks > is the Main Menu item instead of Music >, and the 'Sleep' function wasn't quite so buried. Bliss!!

message 48: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 399 comments The only problem I've experienced with mine is that once I started using it on the Mac (did whatever I had to to make it read the disk) it doesn't read any files that I transfered from the Mac when I hook it up to a PC or vice versa. My husband and I are moving this month and I always use the Mac when I upload new books and I can't see them on the PC to delete several files at once. I like to delete those files on the computer because it seems that when I delete them using the delete button on the Clip, somehow the memory doesn't recognize that it has more space now, so it always thinks it's full.

message 49: by aprilla (new)

aprilla | 242 comments I'm PC only so wouldn't think of those problems but would imagine they apply to most file exchanging between PC and Mac, though I think things are improving? If I remember right once-upon-a-time you simply couldn't go back or forth.
Pest tho :(

I've never tried deleting from the Clip+ and wonder if I'd have that same issue. I think it would keep the 'old' data until it does that refresh thing, so deleting should trigger a refresh. Must try it :)

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Rae | 28 comments Have you ever noticed that if you are a person that listens to books in bed your headphones last considerably shorter than when you're not? This drives me crazy. I seriously go through at least two pairs a month. I've started buying the cheap ones because of this. I know I am probably getting what I pay for, but not really sure what else to do. Any advice?

« previous 1 3 4