Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Valerie's 50 for 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I'm off to a late start since me and my family just moved across the country but I'm planning on being able to spend more time reading now that we are settled.

1. Almost Moon - Alice Sebold

Quite disappointing for me. It was not my favorite at all and a pretty lame way to start off the year. Here's to hoping my future picks will be MUCH better.

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 2. Outlander

Rather long but I actually did like it. Not sure if I'll read the next in the series but this was at least better than the previous book I read.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 3. Lonely Werewolf Girl - Martin Millar

message 4: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Have you read any other books by Alice Sebold? Some of them are really good.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Aprile wrote: "Have you read any other books by Alice Sebold? Some of them are really good."

Yes, I read Lucky and Lovely Bones- both of which I really loved. I was hoping The Almost Moon would be as good as those but it fell way short.

message 6: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I've read Lucky and Lovely Bones too. Well written, but very uncomfortable at some points!

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Aprile wrote: "I've read Lucky and Lovely Bones too. Well written, but very uncomfortable at some points!"

Definitely! Hard to read in some parts but worth it.

message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 4. Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 5. Dragonfly in Amber - Diana Gabaldon

I really need to give this series a rest- the books are SOOOO long - but I don't know if I'll be able to!

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 6. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

LOVED this book.

message 11: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 7. The Shack - William P Young

Vicki - I Love Reading (httpswwwfacebookcomMyBookBlog) Valerie wrote: "4. Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella"

i loved that book... how did you find it

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Victoria wrote: "Valerie wrote: "4. Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella"

i loved that book....."

I loved it too! I'm not exactly sure how I found it but I think it was from somewhere here on GoodReads. I ended up ordering it from Amazon.com since I was low on reading materials and needed a new stash. It's one that I've recommended to all my girlfriends now!

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 8. Gilead A Novel - Marilynne Robinson

9. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafron

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 10. Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami

Strange but I actually did like it.

message 16: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments Tip of the hat to your first ten, and faith and begorah to St. Pats!

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 11. Voyager - Diana Gabaldon

12. The City of Ember - Jeanne Duprau

13. The Undomestic Goddess - Sophie Kinsella

message 18: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Mary Todd wrote: "Tip of the hat to your first ten, and faith and begorah to St. Pats!"

Thank you kindly, Mary!

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 14. Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult

15. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

message 20: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 16. Hold Tight - Harland Coben

Not the kind of thing I usually read but it was good.

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 17. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan - Sophie Kinsella

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 18. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 1-4 - Douglas Adams

Quite funny and I'm going to have to pick up the rest of the series to finish it out.

message 23: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 19. City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 20. Nefertiti A Novel - Michelle Moran

21. City of Glass - Cassandra Clare

22. Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead

message 25: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Did you like Vampire Academy? I put the second and third on reserve at the library, and received the third one TWICE, and had to return it because I hadn't read the second one LOL, but the second one is there now waiting for me!

message 26: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Aprile wrote: "Did you like Vampire Academy? I put the second and third on reserve at the library, and received the third one TWICE, and had to return it because I hadn't read the second one LOL, but the second o..."

Yes, I did like it- more so than I thought I would. I have the second on reserve too so hopefully I'll get it soon. I hate waiting! Let me know what you think when you finish it.

message 27: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

This was a re-read for me so I'm not counting it towards my goal of 50 new books but it was great to go back again. I had forgotten how much I love these books.

message 28: by Tori (new)

Tori | 208 comments I haven't re-read any books yet this year, but I think they should count. You know how everyone has comfort food? I have comfort books that I go back to again and again when I'm going through something in life. This should count!! Put a # by it girl!!! :)

message 29: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I have re-read books this year, but I am also not counting them towards my goal (which is also 50 NEW books). However they will count towards my final total for the year.

message 30: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 23. Frostbite - Richelle Mead

Better than the first in the series.

Almost half way there!

message 31: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Aprile wrote: "I have re-read books this year, but I am also not counting them towards my goal (which is also 50 NEW books). However they will count towards my final total for the year."

I think that's the route I'm going to take. I really wanted to challenge myself to read 50 NEW books or else I'll keep going to those comfort books over and over!

message 32: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Another re-read but well worth the time. Waiting for a few books to come in from the library so I figured I'd refresh my Harry Potter knowledge.

message 34: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 24. Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) - Richelle Mead

message 35: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 25. Valeria's Last Stand - Marc Fitten

I won this book on GoodReads but I wasn't very impressed by the story.

message 36: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 26.The Summoning - Kelley Armstrong

message 37: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 27. The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan

Really liked this book. A bit creepy but it really made the book work- after all, it is a book about zombies.

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Valerie wrote: "27. The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan

Really liked this book. A bit creepy but it really made the book work- after all, it is a book about zombies."

Hi Valerie,
So funny because I just read a review about this book and put it on my TBR list. Glad to hear it's good!

message 39: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Melanie wrote: "Hi Valerie,
So funny because I just read a review about this book and put it on my TBR list. Glad to hear it's good!"

Melanie, I would really recommend this book although I would warn it's a bit heartbreaking. If you read it, I hope you like it!

message 40: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 28. The Awakening - Kelley Armstrong

A nice quick read.

message 41: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 29. Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris

Another series I got sucked into. Can't wait to read the others!

message 42: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 30. Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates

Not a happy book but well worth the read.

message 43: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 31. Evermore - Alyson Noel

Not the greatest book ever but a decent read.

message 44: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 32. Living Dead in Dallas - Charlaine Harris

I liked this one better than the first. One to the next one in the series!

message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 33. The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield

Loved this book.

message 46: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 34. Wake - Lisa McMann

message 47: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 35. Good in Bed - Jennifer Weiner

So much better than some of the other "chick lit" books that I've read.

message 48: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) 35. Good in Bed - Jennifer Weiner

So much better than some of the other "chick lit" books that I've read.

I agree. I didn't like "chick lit" before I read Weiner and, well, she's still my only one :)

message 49: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Susanna wrote: "I agree. I didn't like "chick lit" before I read Weiner and, well, she's still my only on..."

Chick lit isn't usually my kind of genre but I think I'll pick up another of Weiner's book.

message 50: by Valerie (new)

Valerie 36. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

Man, this book was awesome. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I loved it.

« previous 1 3