Chaos Reading discussion

Bookshelf Nominations > Bookshelf Nominations: COMICS, GRAPHIC NOVELS, MANGA [now online]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
I really should've started this thread sooner, with all the comic book fans in the group.

Post links to the comic books you most highly recommend here, and I'll put them on a Group Shelf... If you can try and link to the specific edition you'd recommend, that would be really helpful too :)

I'm going to nominate the one comic book I truly fell in love with: We3 Deluxe Edition. I literally laughed and cried. Hilarious and gut-wrenching is a rare combination.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 114 comments Asterix the Gaul I love these series!

can we have shelf for manga too?

message 3: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Comics are comics as far as I'm concerned. Manga goes in here too. I just refuse to use the term "graphic novel"! :)

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 114 comments Ok, then...I would recommend as well

Mushishi, Volume 1 by Yuki Urushibara Death Note, Vol. 1 Boredom (Death Note, #1) by Tsugumi Ohba PLUTO Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1) by Naoki Urasawa Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana Toboso Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1 The Assassin's Road by Kazuo Koike Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1) by Naoki Urasawa Blade of the Immortal, Volume 1 Blood of a Thousand by Hiroaki Samura Vagabond, Volume 1 by Takehiko Inoue

message 5: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 1321 comments Mod
Some of my top recommendations: Maakies, Pim and Francie: The Golden Bear Days, Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer: Stories, the beloved classic Sandman series, which starts with Preludes and Nocturnes, and of course The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye and its sequels.

message 7: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I really am keen to read The Complete Maus. Looks right up my alley.

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 1321 comments Mod
Ruby wrote: "I really am keen to read The Complete Maus. Looks right up my alley."

I second Maus, for sure, and Persepolis (so now I have to check out American Born Chinese).

message 9: by Theo (new)

Theo | 159 comments Just thought of another one.

Stitches

message 10: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 2 comments Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories
All of the Planetary books are amazing. Superhuman archeologist discovering relics that are far more advanced than our current technology.

Promethea, Vol. 1
This should be what Alan Moore is known for. It goes pretty deep into Golden Dawn style magick.

Enigma Wonderfully weird but hard to find.

message 11: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Bookshelf Updated 27 October 2012 - Enjoy!

And feel free to keep nominating.

message 12: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (last edited Oct 27, 2012 10:41PM) (new)

Ummmm...... nineteen noms for one person seems a little excessive.
I don't want to impose a limit on nominations, but if we can try to save room for other people's picks I'd appreciate it :)

message 13: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Awesome. Cheers :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 28, 2012 04:01AM) (new)

I 2nd the Sandman series starting with Preludes and Nocturnes, adding the Kabuki series by David Mack starting with Kabuki, Vol. 1: Circle of Blood and from the manga corner I highly recommend Tsutomu Nihei's Blame! series from Blame!, Vol. 1 to Blame!, Vol. 10 with Noise as the prequel to it.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 167 comments I second The Complete Calvin and Hobbes and nominate Romeo and Juliet: The War for a great new take on a classic and the terrific art work suggested by Stan Lee.

message 16: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Adam wrote: "I'll add a vote to Preludes and Nocturnes and add ElfQuest 1: Fire and Flight and Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 although adding vol 1 of FMA would be useful. The records seem to be incomplete."

Hi Adam. You don't need to vote here. Just nominate books you recommend and that you think are appropriate for the topic, and they'll go on the shelf.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 43 comments Astro City Vol. 2: Confession
Astro City Vol. 4: The Tarnished Angel

All of the series have their points, but those are the best, I think

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 43 comments Come to think of it: Girl Genius Omnibus Volume One: Agatha Awakens and The Order of the Stick: Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, which are the start of series, but which will get any reader going along nicely

message 20: by Richard (new)

Richard From Hell is astonishing

Lost Girls, Vols. 1-3 is a fascinating misfire curiosity, very strong stuff that all adds up to not a lot but it's still curious

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned - great series, may not add up to a whole but it's a fun and beautifully illustrated journey

(note, should be getting The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes next week for me birthday, all 10 volumes in one special set, I have a sneaking feelign i'll love it)