Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Dumbledore. Gay?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Was Dumbledore intended to be gay? If so, how do you think it would've affected things? Would it have? Share your thoughts, write a short story if you want:)

Gabby Yes. J.K Rowling confirmed it.

Avani Yep, and he was in love with Grindelwald as a teen.

Jeni It doesn't alter a bit of the story for me aside from filling in a little of the backstory.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well evidently JK Rowling did say that (not that I don't believe you as I've just verified it) but it certainly puts a different slant on the interpretation given on the screen. I would hardly call the two men who portrayed Dumbledore of giving the impression of being gay, i.e. Richard Harris and Michael Gambon. They certainly don't appear to be of that persuasion. But then you can never judge a book by its cover!

Riley Dawson Hushak Honestly I could just never see Dumbledore with anyone, so the "revelation" of his homosexuality didn't change anything for me. He always seemed too concerned with helping others and with teaching students to be in any kind of romantic relationship. Looking back on it, I wonder whether he swore off romantic love after Grindelwald and devoted himself to fixing what Grindelwald messed up in the world, like he felt he was responsible for it or something.

Mwanaidi What!am shocked!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I'm glad that you said that Mwanaidi because I'm also shocked!

message 9: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill This has been talked about for some time in many forums. My question is what evidence from the books suggest that Dumbledore is Gay?

Why shocked people?

message 10: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni It was not in the books because it's not important to the story. It's just a background tidbit JKR gave in an interview once.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I don't think it effects the story or indeed the character, Dumbledore for me loved power, that was a major goal for him, and he got it!

Mwanaidi Lynne,i'm still amazed. But now that i have thought about it,it makes a bit of sense,we never saw a romantic love interest for him

Andrew Jeni wrote: "It was not in the books because it's not important to the story. It's just a background tidbit JKR gave in an interview once."

Thanks Jeni. That's exactly right. Whether Dumbledore was gay or not was irrelevant. None of his actions were predicated on his sexuality.

Callie713 I didnt expect it but then again it didnt really show Dumbeldore as much and him talking in the books like the 4th 5th 6th but it kinda showed in 1st and 7th

message 15: by Mee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mee S. never really thought about it but seams reasonable

message 16: by L.S. (new) - rated it 3 stars

L.S. Burton Lynne wrote: "Well evidently JK Rowling did say that (not that I don't believe you as I've just verified it) but it certainly puts a different slant on the interpretation given on the screen. I would hardly call..."

Was his robe supposed to a rainbow, he prancing about on a unicorn swishing his wand merrily?

Raven Black I don't believe that. I always assumed he was nonsexual and above such nonsense as romantic love.

message 18: by Pete (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pete W This had been revealed not long after the 7th book was released.

Personally, it didn't effect the story in anyway because, in J.K. Rowling mind, Dumbledore had always been gay. Therefore his characters, personalities, actions, were that of how he was including him being gay which shows very little in the story because the book was about Harry Potter and not Dumbledore. Also, by the time we see him in the first book, he was planning and plotting on how to remove Voldemort from power. I supposed he sworn off relationship ever since him and Grindelwald parted ways. He was also heavily consumed by guilt regarding his sister.

Ms. Rowling didn't redact that Dumbledore was gay, merely stating the fact.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel like it fits in with the story, just as another piece about the character (like McGonagall's history on Pottermore)--and I don't think he should have been more 'obviously', or stereotypically gay. I wouldn't have respected her playing it up too much, especially when romance and sexuality just wasn't a part of Dumbledore that he let show to anyone else. I'm a little surprised it wasn't actually featured in Rita Skeeter's book, though, especially with his potential with Grindelwald.

Sparrowlicious It doesn't matter to me if it "fits" or if people think there was "no hint of it". Rowling is the author and what she intends her characters to be is her cup of tea.
Dumbledore is homosexual.
Deal with it.

I mean, seriously. When you create a character and decide that he is, let's say, collecting stuffed bears at home but never ever show this in your actual story it still remains a part of that character.

Barbara I read the books before JKR made her announcement and I've been re-reading them recently. I'll admit I did find it odd the way he was described ad dressing when we first see him in the first book but that was only the first time I read it and it was only a passing thought. It's never affected how I see the character at all.

message 22: by Wendilyn (last edited Sep 11, 2012 01:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendilyn Emrys I must say that it did not come as a surprise to me after I had read of his relationship with Grindelwald. Kind of fit in after that, and JK's revelation did not shock me. I just wondered why she had to say it anyway. His sexual orientation did not matter to me at all, one way or another, he seemed asexual to me. As for Richard Harris, LOL, I don't know how many of you are familiar with Mr. Harris' life, but he loved women and drink, and often got into trouble over the two. He, Peter O'Toole, and Richard Burton were long time drinking [and one would assume -- whoring -- to use a Tudor term -- buddies], as for Michael Gambon, I have no idea as to his sexuality, not that it really matters. He is married, but now is separated from his wife of many years. It is called acting for a reason. A good gay actor can play a straight part, and a good straight actor can play a gay part. It is the bad actors who cannot carry off playing something opposite to their real lives. I think that JK was trying to say that gay people can be good people, like Dumbledore, that is all.

message 23: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill Sparrowlicious wrote: "It doesn't matter to me if it "fits" or if people think there was "no hint of it". Rowling is the author and what she intends her characters to be is her cup of tea.
Dumbledore is homosexual.
Deal ..."

I don't agree. Books stand on their own. I don't consider an author's intention really relevant to my interpretation of a novel. That's between me and the novel.

message 24: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Bascom Jeni wrote: "It doesn't alter a bit of the story for me aside from filling in a little of the backstory."

I agree completely. I don't care if Dumbledore's gay, it kinda shocked me at first, but it kinda makes sense now. Ya know?

Khara House I was also more confused by Rowling's announcement of this back-story than shocked by the revelation. It didn't add anything to the narrative, or make me change my reading of the texts. She did share, when she made the revelation, that Dumbledore "fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was" ... and while it was interesting to note her personal envisioning of those events, it still left room for a lot of skepticism; if, for instance, that was how she envisioned it why not write it that way? As a writer I don't find it easy to accept that type of reasoning, unless it's information that's being shared *as* it's being written (i.e., I will often envision a character's full history to get a sense of who he or she is, and while almost none of it makes it into the actual narrative I would sooner share it with a colleague reading an early draft than an entire audience after the fact).

All that said ... the revelation doesn't change my reading of the books at all.

Walter so what? does it change your perception of the character? Not mine!

Avani Nicki wrote: "I feel like it fits in with the story, just as another piece about the character (like McGonagall's history on Pottermore)--and I don't think he should have been more 'obviously', or stereotypicall..."

That's a good point-- you'd think snoopy Rita would dig up the dirt about that.

Vicki G Maybe writing about gays in Britain is considered "too easy" a topic. IDK. I didn't even know he was gay and CERTAINLY didn't know J.K Rowling confirmed it. Not that I care, but it explains why he wasn't married I guess. To a woman.
Anyway, I didn't know about it.
I still like him the best though, of the adult characters. Him and the teacher who could turn into a tabby cat. I have tabby kitty and would like to turn into a cat so I could talk to her and have her answer.
But you don't need to understand a whole lot of cat-speak to know what she thinks most of the time.
My favorite students were Harry and Hermione.

Sophie I don't mind Dumbledore being gay but i don't think it needed to be said. I sort of saw him as "asexual", the way i see my grandparents, you don't imagine them having a sexual past and i'd rather it had been left out.

Mwanaidi Vicki,hehehe!that thought of you turning into a cat so that you can talk to a cat,now that is hilarious! Mcgonagall is cool. Cats are really cool too

Julia711 Yeah jk rowling said so in an interview plus he was in love with grindelwald as a teen. but i sorta think hes not anymore- if thats possible

Young Woong Kim Some people doesn't believe that Dumbledore is gay but believes that he is a wizard? Pfft. Gays are real and wizards are fake.

message 33: by Pete (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pete W I think people tend to overlook the fact that as great a teacher and as great a wizard Dumbledore was he was also a master puppeteer and master manipulator whose goal was to remove Voldemort at all cost.

I am saying that he was a great character but also a flawed character.

Gabby Avani wrote: "Yep, and he was in love with Grindelwald as a teen."

Awww, really?

message 35: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim How Dumbledore's gayness affects the story is that it makes it more comprehensible how he got involved in the "lets rule the muggles for their own good" thing. He had a crush on Grindelwald and it blinded him to what Grindelwald really wanted and what kind of a person he was. Dumbledore let his infatuation get him into a situation that wouldn't have been in otherwise.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Pete wrote: "I think people tend to overlook the fact that as great a teacher and as great a wizard Dumbledore was he was also a master puppeteer and master manipulator whose goal was to remove Voldemort at all..."
Yes, and remember when Voldemort says- well, thinks- that Harry is Dumbledore's puppet? I hated to agree with him, but I had to.

Amelia May I'm sad that JK didn't show any other gay/lesbian characters,who could've actually had romantic interest (not counting Grindelwald) rather than being mostly invisible.

Nichola L.S. wrote: "Lynne wrote: "Well evidently JK Rowling did say that (not that I don't believe you as I've just verified it) but it certainly puts a different slant on the interpretation given on the screen. I wou..."

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was a little annoyed by this comment!

Nichola Amelia wrote: "I'm sad that JK didn't show any other gay/lesbian characters,who could've actually had romantic interest (not counting Grindelwald) rather than being mostly invisible."

The HP series wasn't really about addressing sexuality though was it? If it comes to it JKR added Dumbledore into a book and created a character that children will absolutely adore when they are young and understand when they are older. Not many childrens writers have even ventured to add this in, why would she make several characters homosexual unless it was a bigger feature in the book?

Nichola Lynne wrote: "Well evidently JK Rowling did say that (not that I don't believe you as I've just verified it) but it certainly puts a different slant on the interpretation given on the screen. I would hardly call..."

Maybe because it wasn't essential to the story line. enlighten me, how does one give the impression of being gay? I do find that comment a little offensive.

Avani Gabby wrote: "Avani wrote: "Yep, and he was in love with Grindelwald as a teen."

Awww, really?"

Yeah, that's what JK Rowling said she always expected was the case. It could explain, like Tim said, his blindness to Grindelwald's dark side, or maybe Dumbledore was just blind because of his own thirst for power.

Alexandra I don't think knowing the past sexual history of every character is necessary to the story, so I fail to see why JKR should have mentioned it earlier. But I do feel that it is essential to explain why Dumbledore could get sucked into Grindelwald's ideas in such a way.

But yes, I AM surprised Rita Skeeter did not dig that bit of gossip up!

Charbel You wouldn't really consider Dumbledore's sexuality,and I think that J.K.Rowling made him gay to announce her support for the gay community. Making a character as important as Dumbledore a homosexual is just another way to preach tolerance. But even if he were straight the story would still end the way it did. So it's clear that his sexuality is not relevant to the plot, otherwise it would have been in the books.

Amelia May Alexandra wrote: "I don't think knowing the past sexual history of every character is necessary to the story, so I fail to see why JKR should have mentioned it earlier. But I do feel that it is essential to explain ..."

Perhaps the magical community is more tolerant than the muggle one and homosexuality isn't considered gossip-worthy.

Alexandra Amelia wrote: "Perhaps the magical community is more tolerant than the muggle one and homosexuality isn't considered gossip-worthy. "

I don't think it's the fact that the relationship is homosexual that would have made it gossip-worthy - it's the fact that it was with the notorious GRINDELWALD!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Where on earth does it say in the books that Dumbledore is gay??!! This completely ruined my view of Dumbledore.

Nichola Well, apart from it being really obvious if you read between the lines, JKR confirmed it not long after book 7 was released.

Nichola Well, apart from it being really obvious if you read between the lines, JKR confirmed it not long after book 7 was released.

Amelia May Alexandra wrote:
"I don't think it's the fact that the relationship is homosexual that would have made it gossip-worthy - it's the fact that it was with the notorious GRINDELWALD! "

Rita Skeeter did reveal that in "The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore".

message 50: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin haha! I read Harry Potter when I was a younger kid and I did not get that. I just found out recently and I was totally shocked! hahahahaha!

« previous 1