The Writers' Association discussion

Reading & Writing Challenges > September Soliloquy Challenge!!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L Synopsis of a Soliloquy -

is a device often used in drama whereby a character speaks to himself or herself, relating his or her thoughts and feelings, thereby also sharing them with the audience.

TASK:

I want you to remember an important moment in time (say your first day of school, an important job meeting, when you recieved your Degree ect.) something that is significant to YOU.
Then write a parahgraph of you talking to yourself, describing what is happening around you so that the reader can picture the setting and drama that is unfolding.

*(Normally a Soliloquy would be in a play, but this is more of a reflection excersise where you look at describing the scenario)*

Deadline -

Post your parahgraph HERE until the end of September, and Moderators can comment as well as other group memebers. Share your memories, ideas and writing creativity!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooh, sounds fun! I better start writing. Great challenge, Lucinda! I've never heard of a soliloquy, so this will be very interesting.

message 3: by L (new)

L Catalina *The Cat Herself* wrote: "Oooh, sounds fun! I better start writing. Great challenge, Lucinda! I've never heard of a soliloquy, so this will be very interesting."

Its not poetry but i thought that it would be a good challenge, as it gets one to think about how you describe things, show rather than tell and bring words to life so that the reader can envisage what you experienced.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I wanted to thank you Lucinda for setting some of this stuff up. I haven't been a very good moderator lately what with my schedule so thanks!

message 5: by L (new)

L Catalina *The Cat Herself* wrote: "I wanted to thank you Lucinda for setting some of this stuff up. I haven't been a very good moderator lately what with my schedule so thanks!"

Thats okay! I love being creative and writing is what i am most passionate about, as it is not only a hobby for me but i hope it to be also a future career- it is what i am working towards anyway.

message 6: by L (new)

L *THIS TOPIC IS STILL OPEN AS NO ONE HAS ENTERED*

There will be a new challenge for October to have a go at, but do feel free to use this as practise.

message 7: by L (new)

L Alexis,
Your entry is perfect and is a great example of the challenge. It was intensly gripping and captivating, as i was sat on the edge of my chair throughout. I loved the description and the line "...I want to capture that green on a canvas, add the twinkle and shine of it to something that wouldn't shine without my help." which was just beautiful. It was just beautiful and emotive, sad and poignant.
Lucinda

message 8: by L (new)

L Alexis wrote: "*horrified* Delete that post at once!!!"

Do you want another go??