Mortality Mortality question

The passing away of a great man and author.
Mark miller Mark Sep 07, 2012 11:04PM
Epigone by Mark Miller: Christopher Eric Hitchens (13 April 1949 – 15 December 2011) was a British American author and journalist whose career spanned more than four decades ...
This is a sad moment in my life! One of my all time favorite authors, Christopher Hitchens, past away on December 15th 2011. I consider the man of to be of great honor, bravery, honesty, and a willingness to speak his mind about the horrors of religion. I have read many novels written by him such as" god is not great", "The Portable Atheist", "Thomas Paine s Rights of men", and " Why Orwell matters" . All fantastic books. Most of you maybe have not heard of him but he was well respected for his supportive work in enlightening people against the evils of monotheism. If you get a chance pick up a book and skim through it , he is humerus and also brings a seriousness to the subject matters at the same time. I respect him as a father! I will miss you Christopher.--He was also a regular guest on the Bill Maher show on HBO and he was a riot. He would always drink a full coffee cup of scotch on the show live, and never denied it once. This goes out to you Mr Hitchen's from his book god is not great; RELIGION KILLS: " His aversion to religion, in the sense usually attached to the term, was of the same kind with that of Lucretius: he regarded it with the feelings due not to a mere mental delusion, but to a great moral evil. He looked upon it as the greatest enemy of morality: first by setting up factitious excellencies-belief in creeds, devotional feelings, and ceremonies, not connected with the good of humankind-and causing these to be accepted as substitutes for genuine virtue: but above all, by radically vitiating the standards of morals; making it consist in doing the will of a being, on whom it lavishes indeed all the phrases of adulteration, but whom in sober truth it depicts as eminently hateful."-John Stuart Mills

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum. ( To such heights of evil are men driven by religion.)-Lucretius, De rerum Natura

IS RELIGION CHILD ABUSE?
" Tell me straight out, I call on you-answer me: imagine that you yourself are building the edifice of human destiny with the object of making people happy in the finale, of giving them peace and rest at last, but for that you must inevitably and unavoidably torture just one tiny creature, that same child who was beating her chest with her little fist, and raise your edifice on the foundation of her unrequited tears-would you agree to be the architect on such conditions? Tell me the truth."-Ivan to Alyosha in The Brothers Karamazov
By Mark Miller

I would have loved to have seen a debate between Christopher Hitchens and Ravi Zacharias, that would have been amazing. Both are/were brilliant, full of charisma, and able to sweep complicated issues down into accessible nuggets.

I love the line in "Mortality" about Voltaire saying it was no time to renounce the devil and be making enemies on his deathbed.

Being a reformed Protestant I wish for a Christian voice as strong as his. I wish he was still able to fight the fundamentalist questions.