Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Share your 50 with someone special

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Celander | 13 comments Everyone should make an effort to share a couple of their 50 reads with someone special. Each Mom and Dad out there should share some Dr. Seuss books at bedtime with their kids. It's never too early to instill the love of reading and spending quality time with the kids. Volunteer to be a reader for those who can't. Share the joy!!

message 2: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) I can't agree more! The focus of my child's room is the book shelf with chapter books and board books. This two tiered book shelf is a mandatory piece of furniture along with the bed and dresser. I even bought a rocking chair that sits next to the bookshelf so we can sit and read.

I've wanted to do some volunteer work involving reading to others. Your post inspired me to look into that more this year. Thanks, Jeff :)

message 3: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments (Mary Todd imagines herself with her two sons (24 and 31) and one's wife reading Dr. Seuss!) Heehee, but the concept still works...we are always trading and sharing books...and making fun of each other's taste, "Mom doesn't read anything without a dead body." "How many Holocost books can Mark read? How many are there?" "Who but Joe reads Salvadore Dali's autobiography and Candide at the same time?" Dad? We screen books and give hime the very best.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 13 comments The books I read my kids count? LOL, then I'm done already!

I can't agree more that it's important to share the love of reading, especially with our own kids. I've been reading to both of mine since before they were born. But I just can't bring myself to count "Baby Faces" read to an 8-month-old as one of my 50 books. :=)

message 5: by Molly (last edited Feb 04, 2009 08:04AM) (new)

Molly | 330 comments Within the last few months I lent a book to our neighbor's 11 year old son and just let my 5 year old nephew go through my collection of books and take home as many as he could fit in a bag. Both expressed an interest in books and so I thought the least I could do was encourage it. Sometimes I think boys especially need an extra nudge to read.

Aside from the kids, I swap books with my parents, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and always fish for recommendations from friends who are readers and share with them favorites.

When I've read something I love I can't wait to talk to someone else about it. Must go back to all those group story times as a child! When I've read something I hate I can't wait to warn others of similar tastes not to waste their time.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments DUUUUDES!!! This is the Perfect topic right now!

I got my g/f to read a book! I AM NOT KIDDING! In over four years together this is the FIRST time she's read anything other than Star magazine (I'm sure she's happy I'm announcing this to everyone and anyone).

Sure, the book was "Gnelfs" by Sidney Williams (don't even ask), but here's the coup de grace: she's looking for a SECOND book to read! EGADS!

In all seriousness, I feel like I've accomplished something, like helping pass much-needed legislation to save the wombat; I've been begging her to try reading something beyond the harrowing exploits of Angelina Jolie for years and my efforts have finally come to fruition.

Hopefully, we can now spend our time talking about books rather than lamenting my shoddy performance as a man in this relationship. This is so totally awesome.

message 7: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments This English teacher wipes a happy tear from her eye!