sistv bookworms discussion

Confession

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) Okay, I have to confess something here. First of all, I am a simple woman. Very simple. I guess I somehow didn't get in the appreciation line for the classics because I have read a few and have absolutely no desire to read any more.

But, I tried to read P&P to join in discussion with you girls and I couldn't get into it. I had to read a few sentences over and over to understand them and I just don't enjoy that. When I read, I like the book to take me somewhere I enjoy, to make me feel feelings I haven't felt and so on. P&P was just too much like work for me to enjoy it. :(

When I looked at the polling list, I see that many of the books that are on the list ARE classics so I'm realizing that many of you enjoy them. I'm afraid I'm going to sit out a few readings until I see a book up there that I think I might enjoy (which is the idea right?) but I just wanted you ladies to know why I've been silent. Actually you've probably been thanking your lucky stars, but for what it's worth...

message 2: by Staci (new)

Staci Kelly,
I totally understand how you feel about P&P but please rest assured that I can only follow along in the book because I've watched the movies over a BILLION times!! Without that framework to guide me, I too wouldn't be able to make it through the book and understand it throughly. I hope that maybe some time in the future you'll watch the movies and then try to re-visit this book...trust me, it makes the reading experience so much better!! but don't let all of that keep you silent on the boards!!!

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) Staci wrote: "Kelly,
I totally understand how you feel about P&P but please rest assured that I can only follow along in the book because I've watched the movies over a BILLION times!! Without that framework to ..."

Really? Okay I haven't seen the movie, so maybe I'll try that. It's supposed to be cold and rainy this weekend, it may the perfect weekend to curl up with a cup o' tea and a movie! :)

Thanks for the encouragement Staci!

message 4: by Staci (new)

Staci may the perfect weekend to curl up with a cup o' tea and a movie!

absolutely!! You won't regret one moment!!

message 5: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* Kelly wrote: "Staci wrote: "Kelly,
I totally understand how you feel about P&P but please rest assured that I can only follow along in the book because I've watched the movies over a BILLION times!! Without that..."

I completely understand your POV too Kelly, and TOTALLY agree about watching the movie to help give the book a boost (I love the Kiera Knightly version - I watch it with my 7 year old, she thinks it's great!).

I really disliked Austen when I read it in school, but I found I have a better perspective on the books now, and moreso after watching the TV/Movie versions of the book too.

message 6: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
kelly, do not fear!
the classics really are an acquired taste, i believe. whilst i would love for everyone to love P&P as much as me, i understand that can't happen!

and theres no problem with sitting out some books. i sat out this months myself :) i wish we had had an easier book to start with, but the people spoke!

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) Rhi wrote: "kelly, do not fear!
the classics really are an acquired taste, i believe. whilst i would love for everyone to love P&P as much as me, i understand that can't happen!

and theres no problem with ..."

I read it just because it was something I felt like I should've read by this point, since I'm an English major and English teacher. :) But to be honest, I didn't get the big fuss over it. It was okay, and I thought bits and pieces were amusing, but I won't go running out to read any more Jane Austen novels. I've read one, and that's enough for me.

Everyone has their own taste -- there's nothing wrong with that at all. For example, I love science fiction and fantasy, and a lot of people don't. I'm used to that by now, and just read what I like, without apologizing for it.

message 8: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
Everyone has their own taste -- there's nothing wrong with that at all.

here here!
how boring the world would be if we all had the same tastes :)