Crimean War discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Muir | 4 comments Mod
Please join up if you are interested in the Crimean War and add all your favourite books!

message 2: by M (new)

M Conrad | 1 comments Goldfrank's ORIGINS OF THE CRIMEAN WAR - Best I have seen on the pre-war politics. Points out that the Turks only did what was in their interest, and that the events leading up to hostilities are best interpreted as the Porte using the French and British as much as its relative strength allowed.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Muir | 4 comments Mod
OK the ball is rolling! We need more additions to the group shelves and reviews for same... have fun!

message 4: by 'Aussie Rick' (last edited Jun 12, 2009 11:17PM) (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Hi there, I have read a few good books on the Crimean War. My favourites to date have been:

"The Thin Red Line: The Eyewitness History of the Crimean War" by Julian Spilsbury.
"The Crimean War: A Clash of Empires" by Ian Fletcher & Natalia Ishchenko.
"Crimea" by Trevor Royle.

I have ready to read "The Battle of the Alma 1854" by Ian Fletcher & Natalia Ishchenko and "Despatches from the Crimea" by William Howard Russell.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Foley (squawk) | 2 comments Although it looks as if the group may have met its demise, hopefully I can add a few things and possibly get a few more discussions rolling!

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Saunders (chrissaunders) | 2 comments Hi all! I've recently gotten into the Crimean War, thanks to watching Tony Richardson's movie The Charge of the Light Brigade. Some of my favorite titles so far:

Journal Kept During the Russian War - Fanny Duberly
The Reason Why - Cecil Woodham-Smith
The Destruction of Lord Raglan - Christopher Hibbert
The Homicidal Earl: The Life of Lord Cardigan - Saul David
Hell Riders - Terry Brighton
The Crimean War: A History - Orlando Figes

I took a stab at Calthorpe's collected letters but couldn't find time to finish it. Hopefully more to come.