Rangers' Reads discussion

Book Discussion > I just really love these books OK?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (tptigger) | 13 comments Mod
Book recs of any kind. If we start wanting to talk about any particular book or series in depth, we can make them their own topics.

message 2: by Rosabelle (new)

Rosabelle (rosabelle317) | 1 comments Sabriel! I'm terrible at explaining why I like things, but I'm going to try because this has been my favorite book for almost half my life.

I've always been fascinated with the worldbuilding, specifically with the technological divide between Ancelstierre and the Old Kingdom, and how technology and magic both fail as you move away from the Wall.

The river realm of Death.

The bells! I just... really love musical magic, okay.

Sabriel (and Touchstone) are competent protagonists who overall behave in realistic ways. Sabriel in particular--she's thrust into the conflict mostly, but not wholly, unprepared and makes her share of mistakes, but she just keeps going on.

The romance. It's present, but largely understated, and it never overshadows the main conflict. Nor does either character engage in restraining order behavior.

(Content wise, I rate this one a solid Teen. There's a lot of death but not a lot of gore, though there are reanimated corpses. Which I guess are technically zombies, so apparently I love this book so much it's an exception to my loathing of all things zombie.)

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (tptigger) | 13 comments Mod
Oooh, a starting point on Garth Nix. Thank you! :)

I'll toss in the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica Series, starting with Here, There Be Dragons by James C Owen. They're in the Juvenile section, and probably on a level even with the darker aspects of RPM. The first book follows the trip of three young men who meet because of a murder (off-screen and the grisliest part of the book) who must take a journey into the Archipelago of Dreams to save the world during the height of World War I. There are a lot of literary references, as things from the Archipelago tend to spill over into our world, sort of. Sometimes it's a game of spot the literary reference, but even if you don't know all of them, there's plenty of magic and adventure to keep you occupied.
Caution: may cause you to want to read large amounts of late 19th Century and early 20th Century literature. Later volumes in the series especially.