Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Horse books for student

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 191 comments I have a student this year who is a very low/slow reader. She is CRAZY about horse books. For a number of reasons, I'd like to set her up with audio books along with the print book. Should be easy, right? Does anyone have suggestions for horse books, appropriate for a 5th grader, that have audio. I've got Margarite Henry covered, but I haven't found much else. Help me!

message 2: by Kim (last edited Sep 07, 2012 05:44PM) (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) The Black Stallion and My Friend Flicka were favorites of mine. They're both available at audible.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 196 comments Black Beauty was never a favorite of mine, but it's a classic, and is on Audible. (And probably Librivox for that matter.) Magic Hoofbeats looks interesting... I'm a little surprised not to see National Velvet.

I could give you a list of horse books half a mile long, but I doubt most have them have audio versions. Marguerite Henry was a huge part of my reading at that age, though, good call. And it's a great idea to encourage your student - I love hearing creative thinking like this.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 191 comments Tracey wrote: "Black Beauty was never a favorite of mine, but it's a classic, and is on Audible. (And probably Librivox for that matter.) Magic Hoofbeats looks interesting... I'm a little surprised not to see Nat..."

I never liked Black Beauty. I also agree about My Friend Flicka and The Black Stallion. The reading level on those two may be a little high for right now. Maybe later in the year. I'll take a look at Magic Hoofbeats.

message 5: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3609 comments "War Horse" is from the horse's POV and a good audiobook. It has sad/tragic parts but not beyond a fifth grader to deal with. The era is WWI so the cultural and historical elements are educational but possibly too alien for some students to comprehend easily. There's also a movie.

message 6: by Regan (last edited Sep 12, 2012 10:39AM) (new)

Regan | 138 comments There's the Chronicles of Narnia classic The Horse and His Boy.

Isaac Bashevis Singer wrote a short story for kids called Naftali the Storyteller and His Horse, Sus and Other Stories though I don't know about it's availability on audio.

message 7: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3609 comments I second "A Horse and His boy". There is also a classic horse book on audio, "Misty of Chincoteague". I don't remember the age level for it, but it was a good little story.

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 196 comments Added bonus: The Horse and His Boy might lead your student into the rest of the Narnia series.

Misty was my first book.

message 9: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments I was just looking through my list of the children's books version of 1001 Books to Read and there's a book on the list that I'm not familiar with, but the standard for those lists is pretty high, so it's worth looking into.

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge won the Carnegie Medal in 1946.

Now that I'm reading the description and the other reviews, I realize that they made a film out of it a couple of years ago, The Secret of Moonacre. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396707/

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 196 comments Regan wrote: "The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge..."

I loved that book. It's not really "horsey", though, if I recall correctly; I believe the "little white horse" is actually a unicorn.

message 11: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments Tracey wrote: "Regan wrote: "The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge..."

I loved that book. It's not really "horsey", though, if I recall correctly; I believe the "little white horse" is actually a unicorn."

I'd seen the movie, but didn't remember the horse/unicorn bit all that well, so I didn't really know. So, scratch that one for being about a horse...

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 196 comments I'm partly going off the cover of my copy, and very vague memories - it's been a while! It is a lovely book, though.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenpatricia322) | 1 comments The Scorpio Races. I'm not sure of the level. But it is a new ALA awarded book. The audio is very good.