Romeo and Juliet Romeo and Juliet discussion

Would you risk your life to see someone you love?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria If I was deeply in love with someone, I would risk my life to see them. Would you?

Will IV Love does make us do some pretty irrational things ;)

Paul Harmon When I was 17 I did because my then girlfriend's father threatened to kill me if I didnt stay away from his daughter...Does that count? :)

C-Cose Daley I'd have to question myself as to why my "deep love" requires me to have that person in my life regardless of the danger. Love that deep, at the risk of my own safety, would equate to obsession for me.

Therefore ... no.

Sean Im a romantic and I would love to be able to say yes but the reality is you have to draw a line somewhere. Family threatening to kill me? Yea I would draw the line there. And I have several more points where I would draw the line. Being deeply in love doesnt mean you can forget common sense. It makes for great fiction but is horrible in reality.
Can you name a real-life Romeo and Juliet couple (minus the suicide)?

Taya Personally I've never been in love so I can hardly speak for me
(but I'm stubborn so problably I'd do anything to see this person... someday)

As for the real life couple (minus the suicide), I do know one.
My parents.
They met at 19 and both of their families were (some still are) completly against them.
They are still together today, for almost 27 years
But family meetings are still a bit.. difficult.

Concerning the book, I used to think it was romantic and brave to die for love... when I was 13 and saw the movie.
After reading the book I think it was pointless.
Yes, we know they rather be dead then separated, but if you cannot appreciate life one bit without that other person, then something is definetly gone wrong.

message 7: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Depends on my mood, at the time. Antony and Cleopatra, The Iliad, Abelard and Heloise—the never ending story. Of course, you could just go back online to dating.com and find someone new.

message 8: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Depends on my mood, at the time. Antony and Cleopatra, The Iliad, Abelard and Heloise—the never ending story. Of course, you could just go back online to dating.com and find someone new.

message 9: by Anja (last edited Sep 08, 2012 03:48AM) (new) - added it

Anja Weber Yes,I would, because if those person has been with me for x years not just partner, but more than this, in full sense..friend, lover,support in so called situations on edge ! I will do it..rationally;not because I am in love..like Juliet but because this is question of loyalty and consistency..this is common sense..Respect for respect, love for love..B.T.W. Romeo and Juliet is novel which is in past tense..We should lock birds, how their lives in pair..till the end of life..What did they done when one partner lost wing..this is not romantic...this is so natural..

Mimi ❤ Sometimes you need to choose head over heart.

message 11: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Paul wrote: "When I was 17 I did because my then girlfriend's father threatened to kill me if I didnt stay away from his daughter...Does that count? :)"

Yea. You are risking your life. Technically

message 12: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Sean wrote: "Im a romantic and I would love to be able to say yes but the reality is you have to draw a line somewhere. Family threatening to kill me? Yea I would draw the line there. And I have several more po..."

Don't think so. Probably Edward and Bella though.

message 13: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV "I will do it..rationally;not because I am in love..like Juliet but because this is question of loyalty and consistency..this is common sense..Respect for respect, love for love."

But this isn't rational. Rationally speaking, don't you think if the other person loved you, they would urge you NOT to risk your life just for the chance to SEE them?

Maybe the question needs to be developed further. As it is, the question is simply if you would risk your life to see the person you love. I can see no rational justification for risking ones life just to see another person. Maybe if the question was, "Would you risk your life to BE WITH the person you love?" The implication being that you and the person you love are not together, but would necessarily have to risk your life in order to be with them (and hopefully the feelings of love are mutual!), then there might be some plausible reasons for risking ones life.

message 14: by C-Cose (last edited Sep 08, 2012 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

C-Cose Daley Anja wrote: "Yes,I would, because if those person has been with me for x years not just partner, but more than this, in full sense..friend, lover,support in so called situations on edge ! I will do it..rational..."

Greetings Anja,

I'm a little confused. You start by equating Romeo and Juliet's actions as some king of ultimate expression of "loyalty and consistency", and then compare that to birds that are pair-bonded until death.

Birds will certainly risk their own lives for that of their young, but I am unaware of a species where one will put their own life at risk simply to be with the other--even in pair-bonds. To do so would risk the future life of any offspring.

Truthfully, other than couples presented to us in writing (fiction or myth), I can't think of a single pair where we would ascribe those actions to "being so deeply in love". Generally speaking we would describe them as codependent, psychologically ill, or otherwise: e.g. Bonnie & Clyde, Manson's Women, etc.

The people in these pairs (group) risked their lives to be with the "loved one", but we hardly consider it to be balanced and healthy--as compared to the actions of pair-bonded birds.

C-Cose Daley Victoria wrote: "Sean wrote: "Im a romantic and I would love to be able to say yes but the reality is you have to draw a line somewhere. Family threatening to kill me? Yea I would draw the line there. And I have se..."

Victoria, how are "Edward and Bella" a "real-life Romeo and Juliet" as asked in Sean's message (#5) which you referenced?

Marius Hancu My "Simon and Hiroko" is based on that assumption ...

message 17: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Villalobos No. Definitely not.

message 18: by Anja (new) - added it

Anja Weber Will wrote: ""I will do it..rationally;not because I am in love..like Juliet but because this is question of loyalty and consistency..this is common sense..Respect for respect, love for love."

But this isn't r..."

Greetings Will,
It seems to me that question is now : Would I risk my life to live either to bee with person which is my beloved?''Yes I would if our love is mutual, as I have said before..No more, no less..Well to be honest I'v have been in such situation..*I have risk my life just to see him, several times* during the Milosevich regime in Serbia.However we are today together in happy marriage..

message 19: by Anja (new) - added it

Anja Weber C-Cose wrote: "Anja wrote: "Yes,I would, because if those person has been with me for x years not just partner, but more than this, in full sense..friend, lover,support in so called situations on edge ! I will do..."

Greetings C-Chose,
Personally speaking old/new urban myth about love is Bonnie and Clyde,people who are pure example as person's with psycho disorder with schizophrenic elements in behavior. They have been condependent, till the end of life. Well Romeo and Juliet are novel which could not be understand by young people in XXI century.(this is old myth like Tristan and Isolda). But speaking about contemporary time I would like to ask:''Did love as partnership, marriage exist in sense of "loyalty and consistency..'' ? In this sense we are assume that both partners are psycho balanced and healthy..Emotion of deeply in loved passing and we are building our relationship with partner on very basically rationalized emotion's as adults and mature persons.In some sense Will have right about question that it should be> Will you risk your life to be with beloved person!? Maybe it sounds irrational but I would.. Romeo and Juliet are in very tin age in novel..Life is not novel either fairy tale..it is something like wood's full of surprises..
Speaking about some birds species, they are till the end of life bound for their partner..
Naturally that we should draw line somewhere, to protect our life..

message 20: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Well since I'm not a 14-15 year old child being forced into marriage to someone as lame as Paris, I wouldn't die to see my husband. Sometimes things just happen and it doesn't work out. Now my daughter on the other hand, I would do anything to get to her if we were separated. I think were the kids in the play older it wouldn't have happened this way. They could have just run away and never looked back. Hop a ship going to a new country and be done with it. But it is a romantic love story, and usually they don't end so great.

C-Cose Daley Anja wrote: "C-Cose wrote: "Anja wrote: "Yes,I would, because if those person has been with me for x years not just partner, but more than this, in full sense..friend, lover,support in so called situations on e..."

Greetings Anja,

Sorry, but I'm having even further difficulty understanding your response than I did before. You state that R & J is a novel in which we assume that they are "psycho balanced and healthy [sic]." You may assume that; I do not. I assume that Shakespeare wrote to a) entertain, b) provide an allegory, c) make an income, or some other reason. I find indications of a whole host of unhealthy behaviours and character traits throughout R & J and other works of his.

I fully realize that this is a work of fiction, which only emphasizes the initial question of whether one would risk their own life in the same way that R & J did. Re-stating the question doesn't answer the original question; it avoids answering it.

Yes, some birds are life-bound until death; not all bird species act in this way. I have yet to find an example of birds that would "risk [their] life to see someone [they] love." I still don't understand how your bird example answers the question that was posed.

As Dawn said in #20, risking one's life for a child is a fairly common reaction / opinion of what one would do.

message 22: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV Yes, I think for the sake of discussion, children and family should be excluded from the premise of the question, as we are in a discussion topic on a book about romantic love, so I think the question is better focused on that.

Incitanemxx i don't understand why people think that if you love someone, you should be ready to die for them when neccessary... that's not romantic. it's foolish.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

No.

message 25: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria C-Cose wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Sean wrote: "Im a romantic and I would love to be able to say yes but the reality is you have to draw a line somewhere. Family threatening to kill me? Yea I would draw the line the..."

I think that Edward and Bella are like a Romeo and Juliet because, Bella's life was pretty much at risk. Edward told her that he had no control of himself at times. Bella decided to see him anyway. She does truly love him and she didn't tell Charlie because she knew that he would be uncomfortable with it. Maybe even forbid it. In breaking dawn she did risk her life to see him and she pretty much died.

message 26: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Incitanemxx wrote: "i don't understand why people think that if you love someone, you should be ready to die for them when neccessary... that's not romantic. it's foolish."

If you truly love them, it is worth it.

Godiva3 I would!

C-Cose Daley Victoria wrote: "I think that Edward and Bella are like a Romeo and Juliet because, Bella's life was pretty much at risk...."

All true .... but how are these real life, as in living, or dead, figures that are not part of a fictional narrative?

From msg #5 (Sean) : "Can you name a real-life Romeo and Juliet couple (minus the suicide)?" [emphasis added]

message 29: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria C-Cose wrote: "Victoria wrote: "I think that Edward and Bella are like a Romeo and Juliet because, Bella's life was pretty much at risk...."

All true .... but how are these real life, as in living, or dead, figu..."

I think these are real-life because Kirsten Stewart and Robert Pattison are together in real-life. Even though Kirsten cheated they will be back together. Breaking Dawn 2 will prob. bring them back together. There are always ups and downs in relationships.

message 30: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV You can't be serious.

C-Cose Daley Will wrote: "You can't be serious."

I think I need a towel to wipe the brain matter up that is leaking from my ears now .... *shakes head in commiseration* ....

message 32: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria C-Cose wrote: "Will wrote: "You can't be serious."

I think I need a towel to wipe the brain matter up that is leaking from my ears now .... *shakes head in commiseration* ...."

I am entirely serious. Rob moved out, that's it! It's very easy to call U-Haul again. If Rob declared that they weren't gonna do Breaking Dawn 2, then that's different.

C-Cose Daley Victoria wrote: "C-Cose wrote: "Will wrote: "You can't be serious."

I think I need a towel to wipe the brain matter up that is leaking from my ears now .... *shakes head in commiseration* ...."

I am entirely seri..."

In all sincerity Victoria, that's like saying that the "Matrix" movies are actually documentaries based on fact because the writers used a computer to create the stories.

message 34: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria The Matrix is different from the Twilight Saga :)

message 35: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV Victoria wrote: "I am entirely serious. Rob moved out, that's it! It's very easy to call U-Haul again. If Rob declared that they weren't gonna do Breaking Dawn 2, then that's different."

It's not the possibility of the two actor's relationship continuing that is leaving C-Cose and I in a state of disbelief; it is the fact that you said your fictional example of Bella and Edward still holds weight as a real life example because the actors who play them are real and happen to be dating. Does that mean you think Robert Pattinson is actually a vampire too?

Their fictional roles don't serve as real life examples because they were, yeah know, acting. That they are actually dating or were dating is inconsequential to the challenge of finding a real life Romeo and Juliet.

I feel dirty that I even needed to explain this.

Incitanemxx Victoria wrote: If you truly love them,..."

why do you think that way? pray tell!
i wouldn't want anyone to die for me... :P

message 37: by C-Cose (last edited Sep 09, 2012 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

C-Cose Daley Will wrote: "Victoria wrote: "I am entirely serious. Rob moved out, that's it! It's very easy to call U-Haul again. If Rob declared that they weren't gonna do Breaking Dawn 2, then that's different."

It's not ..."

To Victoria:

Perhaps if your initial message hadn't stated "Edward and Bella" but rather the actors that played those roles, we wouldn't be so confused.

We can't be blamed for wondering why you continued to insist that these fictional characters were real. It's nice to see that you realize Matrix and Twilight were different movies though.

message 38: by Anja (new) - added it

Anja Weber C-Cose wrote: "Anja wrote: "C-Cose wrote: "Anja wrote: "Yes,I would, because if those person has been with me for x years not just partner, but more than this, in full sense..friend, lover,support in so called si..."

Greetings C – COSE,

Well this is my return to my old readings of Shakespeare and my psychiatrist occupation, beyond philosophy. Most of the characters in the dramas of W.S. are in some way with intention of writer are in some kind of psycho disordered personalities. Shakespeare, which could be one of questions>”Has write dramas on divided papers, and we don’t know, today what is real original.’’ Secondary question this *for me> that this tragedy was written by W.S. in the early days of his career in year 1591/1595, first published edition was very poor. Today we have folios of W.S. writings for which we are suppose that they are originals. Did those dramas was written by W.S? Well if we assume that W.S. really written all this scriptures it was first because of > income, entertain but with allegory which make attention publicly. But if they were written by his protector it was just one issue or two: allegory which withdraws attention as good example either bad!? Today generally Romeo and Juliet are archetypes for young lovers. Between all; just for example one of most popular tragedies as Hamlet, for personality today could be considered as bipolar personality. In this sense you have right opinion majority persons from dramas W.S. are psychically twisted.

If I am good understand, you assumed that behavior of R & J was unhealthy and irrational. Yes it was! Nobody should risk his own life as they did do in this drama ( R & J )! This is my answer.
*For instance, other dramas are very better, while W.S. developing phenomenology of greediness, evilness, love, jealousy, etc. But if you ask me should Othello while Iago poisoned his mind with jealousy < to kill his wife< answer would be NOO.

The question about pair of birds it deserves better answer. But if you be kind to understand this as allegory..: Species between birds which I know> The Herm.SHE WOULD DIE FOR HER PARTNER.

I am so sorry for my English, maybe because of it I could not precisely to express what I would like..or this is source of misunderstanding..

Taygus I think I would. The one I love is my lifeline. I don't think I'd live very long without them.

But then, people don't consider me mentally stable..so that links to some points made above s:

LaKeshia If I was that deeply in love and know they felt the same about me. Because what life would it be without them in that case

Incitanemxx i think it's unhealthy to depend so much on a person. you should be able to live on your own before starting a relationship with someone. be self-sufficient. independent. WHOLE.

C-Cose Daley Anja wrote: "Well this is my return to my old readings of Shakespeare and my psychiatrist occupation, beyond philosophy. Most of the characters in the dramas of W.S. are in some way with intention of writer..."

Greetings Anja,

Firstly, thank you very much for responding. Although it is clear, and you have stated, English is not your first language, I believe I was able to understand the core of your response.

I believe you answered the topic question with "No!", when you wrote "Nobody should risk his own life as they did do in this drama ( R & J )!". It would appear that we agree on this point.

Your first paragraph is a little more confusing ... but I'd very much like to discuss it: perhaps in a completely different thread. If I understand you correctly, you are introducing a "psychological" background for some of Shakespeare's work ... which I fuly understand and support.

But you also say, "But if they were written by his protector it was just one issue or two: allegory which withdraws attention as good example either bad!?" Are you introducing the possibility that Shakespeare did not write all the plays that we assign to him and that someone else may have written R&J? If so, that would be an interesting discussion ... although maybe not for this thread.

Lastly, I'm not familiar with the "Herm" species. I'm familiar with the island in the UK Channel though. Could you provide some sort of hyperlink about the bird, as thoe possibility of this behaviour in nature interests me.

It' times like these when I wish I had learned something other than French, German and Russian in school .... lol :)

C-Cose Daley Incitanemxx wrote: "i think it's unhealthy to depend so much on a person. you should be able to live on your own before starting a relationship with someone. be self-sufficient. independent. WHOLE."

Agreed Incitanemxx!! I remember being absolutely consumed in my 20's with what my partner--at the time--wanted me to be because he was my "lifeline". I dressed as he wanted, worked at the job he chose for me, had only the friends that he wanted, and accepted his atrocious behaviour ... because that was who he was. I don't know what I'd do if I met the man that I was in a social situation today. Would I try to impart the wisdom that I've since learned or would I leave him to grow--as I needed to do?

Some 20 years later, I am whole (for the most part) and completely aware and pleased with who I am. My former "lifeline" doesn't seem to have changed one iota in the intervening years. I'm also blessed to be married to a man that has lived with my assets and flaws, warts and all, successes and failures for the past 14 years. I shudder to think where I'd be if I hadn't become independent and self-sufficient.

message 44: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Incitanemxx wrote: "Victoria wrote: If you truly love them,..."

why do you think that way? pray tell!
i wouldn't want anyone to die for me... :P"

Everyone is different.

Incitanemxx Victoria wrote: Everyone is different."

obviously. i just wanted to know WHY you think that way. anyways :D

Saloni Garg Love is that emotion which can make you go insane. It is cause for your happiest tears and for your saddest smile. But if your love for a person exceeds every limit set by mankind, every barrier set by society...if every nerve of your body threatens to burst if you go on without seeing that special one longer than a few seconds...in that special scenario...yes! risking your life to see them would be a small price to pay...

message 47: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva King Saloni wrote: "Love is that emotion which can make you go insane. It is cause for your happiest tears and for your saddest smile. But if your love for a person exceeds every limit set by mankind, every barrier se..."

That's lovely!

message 48: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva King Hasn't anybody heard of the term dying of a broken heart? No one has heard of a pensioner passing away only a couple of months after their the love of their lives has died. That in my opinion is the real life Romeo and Juliet.

Saloni Garg Eva wrote: "Saloni wrote: "Love is that emotion which can make you go insane. It is cause for your happiest tears and for your saddest smile. But if your love for a person exceeds every limit set by mankind, e..."

thank you Eva...:)

Charbel I don't know, I don't think anyone could answer that question with absolute honesty unless they were actually in that position.

« previous 1