Goodreads Ireland discussion

Introductions > Deirdre from Dublin

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Hi everyone, I just joined the group yesterday. I'm a freelancer working in the publishing industry who loves to read - mostly literary fiction, but some historical/biographical non-fiction also. And anything about dogs...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group, Deirdre.

I take it that you're a dog owner like myself. I've had lots of dogs over the years and wouldn't be without one. We have a varied mixture of group reads, so I don't think you'll have to wait long for discussion you'll like. All of our discussion folders are open to members so feel free to add an extra discussion topic if you'd like.

message 3: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre That's great, Declan; thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to reading the discussion folders and getting some suggestions. I've two dogs - a lab and a golden retriever - so when I'm not reading they're usually bringing me for a walk.

message 4: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Welcome Deirdre and what kind of a dog do you haver? We lost ours a couple of years ago and haven't ventured back.

And what kind is yours Declan?

Ours was a whippet/terrier cross with the sweetest disposition ever.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 3 comments Hi Deirdre. I'm in Dublin and my dog is some sort of terrier.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My dog was born of a Jack Russell Terrier, but whatever the hell must have sired her is nothing like a Jack Russell. She has Dalmatian spots, long legs and neck, a small face and there are two large spots on her face and back with brindle running through them.

She's actually kind of whippet shaped, but not quite. She's a little gem.

message 7: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments She sounds lovely. What's her name? I'm experiencing dog hunger.

Have you read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein? I thought it was good.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My dog's name is Lola. I didn't name her. She was originally a family pet got by my mother for my brother and sister, but she soon adopted me as her master and she's now all mine. I want to point out that I didn't name her.

That book looks interesting, Roberta. I've added it to my reading list.

What are your dogs' names, guys? I always love asking. Some people choose great names.

message 9: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Ours was Hobbes, found for my son when he was about 9. Although they were great buddies, my son decided he was a cat person two years later and devoted himself to Gracie, his kitten. Hobbes became a faithful companion for me and for my husband.

And I like Lola. I know a poodle named Lola and she is lovely.

message 10: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Oh, and I'd like to say he was named for the philosopher Hobbes but nothing so highbrow. His name came from a comic named Calvin and Hobbes.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I like that. I always prefer when people take time over their dogs' names. You get a a name very appropriate to their personality.

message 12: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre My dogs are Ruby and Finn (Ruby because she's really warm and gentle, really, and has the warmest brown eyes you've ever seen). Finn's the 9-month-old golden retriever, and we called him after Finn Mac Cumhaill, naturally - because Finn or Fionn also means fair-haired, handsome, heroic and brave - he'd like to think he's all of the above (especially when taking on the swallows in the local park). I think my sisters has that book, Roberta - she loved it, so I'm going to add it to my reading list too. Another lovely novel about dogs is The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski - fairly recent book (maybe published about 2-3 years ago).

message 13: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Declan wrote: "My dog was born of a Jack Russell Terrier, but whatever the hell must have sired her is nothing like a Jack Russell. She has Dalmatian spots, long legs and neck, a small face and there are two larg..."

Lola sounds like a gorgeous dog! The poor Jack Russell who was her mother, though, if she was sired by a Dalmation!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ruby and Finn sound like a lovely pair, and their names seem very apt. I used to have a large border collie called Joey. He was stupid and friendly and loved the ladies, so we named him after Joey Tribbiani from friends.

We have no idea what sort of dog sired Lola. She's not like any breed I've ever seen, so I think her father was just a big mutt.

message 15: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Gorgeous. I love the questioning ears.

message 16: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Aw she's fabulous! How do you put up pics?

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 10, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

If you have picture uploaded on a website, (Goodreads or Facebook will do) you'll need the URL. If you right-click over the picture it'll offer 'copy image URL.'

Above the comment box there you'll see '(some html is ok)'. It'll show you an example of the command you need.

paste the URL between the quotation marks.

You'll have to adjust the height and width, too. If you right-click over the the pic you'll see inspect element. There will be 2 roll screens. The one on the right will show you how big the pic is. You can write these dimensions at the end of the command. You can change the size, too.

I'm hoping to see some pet pics, now.

message 18: by Roberta (last edited Sep 10, 2012 11:37AM) (new)

Roberta | 78 comments http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/26...

hmm. That didn't seem to work for me. It does take me to my main page where I did post some pictures of Hobbes - puppy, dog and geezer, but I can't seem to get just one to post here.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

You could just post the url, too. I just won't leave the pic visible.

I can't see the link as your profile is set to private.

message 20: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments That expkains alot. Someone has been trying to look at my lists and hasn't been able. Will change that now.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

What lovely photos. I really like Hobbes from just the pics.

Seeing the close-up of your cat was a little unnerving. I've never seen such a look of contempt

Does anyone else have any pics? If you have trouble with the html just paste the URL into the comment box.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Declan.
Your dog is so cute. I have a chiweiner- part chihuaha (sp) and part dauschound. So cute. His name is Keegan which is supposed to mean Little Fire in Irish.

message 23: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre description

OK, 2nd attempt...

message 24: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Declan wrote: "If you have picture uploaded on a website, (Goodreads or Facebook will do) you'll need the URL. If you right-click over the picture it'll offer 'copy image URL.'

Above the comment box there you'll..."

Let's say I'm a little technically challenged in this area... I've had 2 attempts at putting up a pic, but doesn't seem to be working for me. Obviously not following your instructions correctly!

message 25: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Declan wrote: "What lovely photos. I really like Hobbes from just the pics.

Seeing the close-up of your cat was a little unnerving. I've never seen such a look of contempt

Does anyone else have any pics? If yo..."

Well Beau is convinced the world exists to keep him happy but he is a very loving companion to me. I loved that expression. My brother is a librarian and I took it just for him. Maybe I should fine a sweet picture of Beau.

I miss Hobbes every day. Can't imagine ever finding another like him.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 11, 2012 07:08PM) (new)

@Roberta. I'm sure Beau is very sweet. I wouldn't like to cross him, though. I've lost a couple dogs over the years. It's difficult dealing with. Especially when people who have never had dogs don't understand how important they are to an owner.

@Deirdre. You're posting the webpage that the photo is on. The image has its own URL. Right-click the mouse over the photo and it should offer 'copy image URL.'

The ones you tried to post had a FB page instead of an image.

Was this your photo?
Deirdre's Dogs

They're a very handsome pair. I love the pic.

message 27: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) I am a cat person but gotta say- all of y'all have some cute dogs :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Deb. And who knows? Maybe we can convert you into a dog person?

@Susan. I completely missed your comment earlier. Will we get to a pic of Keegan?

message 29: by Iuliana Naughton (new)

Iuliana Naughton | 46 comments I love the pics, gorgeous dogs. I am definitely a dog person, but after the dog i grew up with passed away a few years ago i just cannot get myself to get another.

I read The Art of Racing in the Rain and thought it was very good. I can't see how anyone who loves dogs wouldn't like this book :)

message 30: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Declan wrote: "@Roberta. I'm sure Beau is very sweet. I wouldn't like to cross him, though. I've lost a couple dogs over the years. It's difficult dealing with. Especially when people who have never had dogs don'..."
That's the pic! Of course, they're not normally that quiet - I had to hold several pieces of sausage in front of the camera to get that pose...

message 31: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Deb wrote: "I am a cat person but gotta say- all of y'all have some cute dogs :)"

Hi Deb I'm both a cat and a dog person. As we say over here...Dogs have people, cats have staff.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Deirdre, we seem to turned your welcome thread into pets corner.

I hope you don't mind. :)

message 33: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Declan wrote: "Deirdre, we seem to turned your welcome thread into pets corner.

I hope you don't mind. :)"

Quite happy... I'm sure my non-dog-owning friends are sick of me talking about them by now, so the more the merrier for all the dog-loving book-lovers out there!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I can talk for ages once I start. Especially when I run into other owners out on walks.

message 35: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee My dogs would be cross () if I didn't throw them into the mix (). One's a collie/springer and the other's a collie/retriever.

Say hello to Rocky & Fletcher.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this pic. It reminds me of my old border collies. They make such lovely pets. I love their names, too.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 11, 2012 07:05PM) (new)

I couldn't resist posting more.

My old dogs Joey (Tribbiani) and Peggy (Gordon). A collie and collie/beagle cross.

Peggy with an apple

Joey happy

Too much love

In the third pic, Peggy is underneath my legs.

message 38: by Annie (last edited Sep 11, 2012 10:50PM) (new)

Annie | 81 comments What lovely pets! Unfortunately, the apartment complex I live in does not allow pets, so I have to stick with a more exotic (and easier to hide) companion. This is Lily, my little sugar glider. I can't see a pet thread without showing her off too. :)

[image error]

message 39: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) All these pets are just so cute.

I would love to have a dog, but I work fulltime and am in a load of clubs, which take up a lot of my evenings, so it just wouldn't be fair :-(

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

@Annie. They're great pics. Very cute

@Kate. I agree. It isn't fair to the animal if you can't spend time with it. Maybe you could take a leaf from Annie's book and find a pet less reliant upon you?

message 41: by Annie (new)

Annie | 81 comments @Declan: There's nothing low maintenance about gliders... They have very sensitive emotional needs and will even self-mutilate if they get lonely. Definitely not a good pet for someone who doesn't have time to devote to them. Lily goes most places with me (she even used to travel to work hidden in a pocket). They're great little pets if you can take care of them though. :)

message 42: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Declan wrote: "I couldn't resist posting more.

My old dogs Joey (Tribbiani) and Peggy (Gordon). A collie and collie/beagle cross.

In the third pic, Peggy is underneath my legs."

Fab pics and gorgeous dogs. I can see why the ladies loved Joey, very handsome chap!

message 43: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Annie wrote: "What lovely pets! Unfortunately, the apartment complex I live in does not allow pets, so I have to stick with a more exotic (and easier to hide) companion. This is Lily, my little sugar glider. I c..."

She's adorable, Annie. I wish I could bring Ruby and Finn everywhere, but I'd need very large pockets...

message 44: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Ken wrote: "My dogs would be cross () if I didn't throw them into the mix (). One's a collie/springer and the other's a collie/retriever.

Say hello to Rocky & Fletcher.

"

Lovely dogs, Ken - and they look very, very content out in the sunshine. They look like great fun.

message 45: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre I also meant to mention a wonderful poetry collection all about dogs - Dogs Singing - An Anthology, published by Salmon. If you're a dog lover, you should check out this collection.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

A book of poetry all about dogs? That's my curiosity piqued.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura | 258 comments Declan,
How do you bring in a photo?

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 13, 2012 01:55PM) (new)

Laura wrote: "Declan,
How do you bring in a photo?"

I made a crash-course, here...

If there are any problems that I can simplify further, let me know.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 49: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) I agree with the dog/cat comment. Very true. One of my cats is a huge primadonna.
All of the animals posted are cute. I would post a picture of mine but not sure how

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Deb wrote: "I agree with the dog/cat comment. Very true. One of my cats is a huge primadonna.
All of the animals posted are cute. I would post a picture of mine but not sure how"

I made a a thread (which is posted as my previous comment) on how to do it. See if that helps, Deb.

« previous 1