Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Carol > Bon Appetit Award

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 05, 2009 07:24AM) (new)

While explaining how to discover your inner voice as a writer, Fletcher decides that he will "put a piece of apple pie and a carrot right by the fireplace, right beneath the hung stockings," and wait for the creative juices to flow (70).

Though apple pie may not be the best brain food, the idea that perhaps a snack might help increase alertness is a very important concept for children to grasp. Sometimes, though, it's difficult to get kids to eat the right energy-boosting foods that can maximize brain power. This award goes to the best children's recipe book that encourages kids to make and eat the foods that give their bodies power. Then, they can have the energy to create all day, both inside the classroom and out!

All nominations for this award should be for books appropriate for students from grades K-6 and are due by March 5, 2009. Happy hunting!

Work Cited: Fletcher, Ralph. What a Writer Needs. Portsmouth: Heinemann, 1993.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Feb 23, 2009 05:39PM) (new)

Sarah (sed5071) | 14 comments Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes A Cookbook for Preschoolers & Up by Mollie Katzen

I nominate this cookbook by Mollie Katzen. "Pretend Soup" lets young children put on the chef's hat with the help of a grown-up. These recipes are for children age 3-8 and directions are in comic form that goes from beginning to eat! Including these pictures help even toddlers become the chef. Also, a great way to help make meals for dinner with mom and/or dad. Green pasta is a big hit in this book and most children don't even know its made with pesto.

message 3: by Linzi (last edited Feb 17, 2009 07:14PM) (new)

Linzi Wilkinson | 14 comments I nominate "Kids Cooking" written by the editors of Klutz Press and illustrated by Jim M'Guinness. There are many useful recipes in this cook book for children. There is a recipe called Homemade Lemonade which could be useful in a classroom. Some of the recipes require an oven which most classrooms aren't equip with. A teacher could use this book in a read aloud and then have the students actually make the recipe.
I like the illustrations within this book and how they have the book separated into different sections with ingredients and tools.

I would suggest this book for K-6 considering an adult would be present to help with the recipes.

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments The Giant Carrot I nominate "The Giant Carrot", by Jan Peck, with illustrations by Barry Root. The readers watch little Isabelle's family raise a carrot, that grows bigger than Papa Joe, with the help of Isabelle's dancing. This is a fun little book adapted from the Russian folk tale "The Turnip", except more tasty. Throughout the tale, a few carrot recipes are mentioned, at the end there is a recipe for "Little Isabelle's Carrot Puddin' ", which can be made at home very easily, and promotes children eating carrots. This vegetable-loving book only has one recipe, but it is very fun and illustrated well, and the kids have to start somewhere with their veggies.

message 5: by Corby (new)

Corby Lancaster | 14 comments I nominate "Holy Guacamole and Other Scrumptious Snacks" by Nick Fauchald, with illustrations by Rick Peterson. This is an excellent book full of recipes that children can make with little adult supervision. This book includes a page with the food pyramid on it. On each recipe page, the food pyramid is pictured. It tells what category of the food pyramid that the recipe fits into. This is an excellent resource for parents and children to adapt to healthy snacking. It includes recipes from easy to advanced and includes a special tips glossary for definitions of baking vocabulary. Making these recipes will get the children up and moving around. As one of Jenson's seven good reasons to have children move around, circulation gives the body a break from musculoskeletal tensions (Jenson, 2000).

message 6: by Darlene (last edited Feb 21, 2009 08:56AM) (new)

Darlene | 14 comments I nominate "Paula Deen's my first cookbook" by Paula Deen and illustrated by Susan Mitchell for this award. This book is a great book for kids of all ages. The book shows pictures of what you need so even kids that are not able to read words can read the pictures. This is a good introduction to reading non-fiction as it has table of contents, glossary, a safety first section, and an index. It even gives some recipes for making things that children wouldn't eat like bubbles and play clay.

message 7: by Shawn (last edited Feb 21, 2009 06:38PM) (new)

Shawn Cunningham | 15 comments I nominate Cooking Rocks! 30-Minute Meals for Kids by Rachael Ray. This is a traditional recipe book, with sections for different age groups and a special section that requires the help of gown-ups.

Some recipes include: Chicken Catch-a-tory Ravioli Stew, Thai Rice Bowl, Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna Roll-Ups.

Each recipe shows what you will need with easy instructions to follow. This book is useful for children just learning to start cooking or those who enjoy cooking short meals. The time limit is a good idea because it keeps a child's attention with the short time needed to prepare the recipe.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "Breakfast Blast" by Bobbie Kalman. This book has a collection of cooking terms, recipes, and questions answers about breakfast foods. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and this book emphasizes that fact. It would be a great book to use in a nutrition lesson for 3rd-6th graders.

message 9: by Lori (last edited Feb 27, 2009 06:19PM) (new)

Lori | 19 comments Today Is Monday by Eric Carle I nominate "Today is Monday" by Eric Carle. Chock full of Carle's gifted illustrations, this book is all about food -- "String beans, spaghetti, ZOOOOP, roast beef, fresh fish, chicken and ice cream." The text can be read or sung, and is sure to be a hit in any K-3 classroom! It is also a great way to introduce children to the different varieties of food available, and how wonderful it can be to try new things to eat.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Amici | 16 comments Food Rules! The Stuff You Munch, Its Crunch, Its Punch, and Why You Sometimes Lose Your Lunch by Bill Haduch

I nominate "Food Rules" by Bill Haduch. This book is claimed to be the most comprehensive book on food and nutrition ever created for kids. Not only is this book factual, but its entertaining. It includes facts about nutrition, the food pyramid, safety in the kitchen, fun family recipes and many more. This book would be perfect for the Bon Appetit Award!

message 11: by Ericajean (last edited Mar 05, 2009 12:50AM) (new)

Ericajean | 13 comments American Grub by Lynn Kuntz
I nominate American Grub: Eats for Kids from all Fifty States. This fully packed book explores each state and chooses a recipe unique to that state. It includes background information, the recipe, as well as interesting facts. Pictures and colors are appropriate because they do not overpower the pages. I love it!

message 12: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Stoner | 10 comments I nominate "Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook" by Georgeanne Brennan. This is a fun, and easy way for children to learn to cook. Also, it was inspired by Dr. Suess and almost all children are familiar with and can't get enough of him. It also it is humorous which allows the children to be creative.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 16 comments I nominate "50 Ways To Take the Junk Out of Junk Food" by Julie Whittingham. This cookbook contains nutritious treats that will boost energy rather than fill kids up with sugar, fat, and empty calories. These recipes are also simple enough that most kids could prepare themselves. This book proves that eating smart can be a great thing!

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber | 14 comments Cooking Wizardry for Kids I nominate "Cooking Wizardry for Kids" by Kenda and Williams. I nominate this book because it gives good direction for kids and cooking including safety tips. The book is great because the recipes are low-fat and low-sugar recipes written by children. All the recipes are fun for children to make and include all the calorie, fat, sodium and cholesterol per serving. The book also follows an easy format for children to follow.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Dear Ms. Julie Whittingham,

This letter is to inform you that your book 50 Ways to Take the Junk Out of Junk Food is the recipient of the Bon Appetit Award. This award was created to recognize children’s recipe books that encourage healthy eating habits to maximize brainpower and energy. Too many children are unable to make the best food choices for their growing bodies. With the aid of creative recipes, like those found in your book, parents, guardians, teachers, etc. are better equipped to help students make the right choices.
As a recent assignment for Penn State Altoona’s Language and Literacy Education courses, each elementary education student was asked to create an interesting book award. Because the rising health risks linked to childhood obesity are becoming a major problem in America, I decided to craft my award after this issue. After pouring over various other suggestions, I found your recipe book to be the most creative approach to sneaking healthy foods onto the plates of our children. Your clever recipes and healthy, yet practical ideas for substitutions will be a valuable asset within many homes and classrooms.
Thank you for your enthusiasm surrounding the health of our students.
Your book can help encourage our children to make better food choices
and give parents options when trying to do the same.

Sincerely,
Carol Ann Mitchell
Student