Bright Lights, Big City Bright Lights, Big City question

More Please
deleted member Sep 07, 2012 11:53AM
I thought Bright Lights, Big City, was initially very interesting because of the 2nd person perspective, eventually you do get your ownself into the story because of the perspective. You put yourself into 80's new york, which was a very grimy and at times scary city. I thought the entire time I was reading the book that it was told in flashbacks, almost like an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" except a lot more explicit. The characters were gritty, yet they were likeable because you could understand what they were going through. Part of why I think you can agree with the characters is because the book is written in second person. The book shows how friends can really not be your friends when you need help the most, and the protaganist seems to have a personal opinion on what the characters are doing. I can understand how this book became a movie because the book reads like you were watching one. It was one of the more impressive books I have read, and I don't typically enjoy reading. If there were more books like this to read, I would be a regular reader, not just a reader for school or when the power is out.

I enjoyed reading your perspective of the book...it surprised me that I found it immediately so involving...and yes, understanding of the characters was immediate...possibly not to people who have ever been "lost" like this...or who can at least imagine what it felt like. I liked that the main character was working with books...as a fact-checker...I enjoyed his literary references...As I said in an earlier post, I came upon it while checking my bookshelves...I have time to do things like this now because I am retired...personally, I find it rewarding that even though I am "old" now...I can still relate to situations like this...I am curious how many "senior citizens" can do this...I'm sure writers at 80 can still relate...but "regular folks" I wonder...Would a senior who really loved this in the 1970s find it unrelatable now...just about a guy who needs to find his way to "adulthood."

For more of the same, you might want to check out The Frog King by Adam Davies. Davies writes his debut novel with a vocabulary and wit so similar to BLBC that it's obvious he was closely inspired by McInerney's work. Not the perfect novel, but reading the Frog King may give you feeling of reading a 21st Century version of BLBC.

Luke Gotta say that the Frog King was a BIG let down for me.
Nov 06, 2013 05:30PM
R. Morris I can appreciate that. Like I said, it's certainly not the perfect novel, but I read it at a time in my life that it really inspired me to read more.
Nov 07, 2013 10:51AM

Ive finished one other book by McInerney, "Story of My Life", and i am currently reading another one of his books, "Brightness Falls". The former wasnt terrible, but it was very good either. It contains similar characters and themes(NYC in the 80's), but you get the feeling that it was kinda thrown together. Brightness Falls, on the other hand, has been very impressive so far. I'd definitely suggest giving it a look-see.

Yeah I too would like to know about more books like these. :)