Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Sick Days! What should Jackie do?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 03, 2009 08:41AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Our dear Jackie has the flu. She's home sick today. What should she do? I'm assuming it's the kind of flu where she can read, watch tv but can't, you know, do anything that would require the expenditure of energy. What do you recommend? By the way, the worst kind of sick is the kind of sick when you're too sick to read.

I usually wander like a badly dressed ghost when I'm genuinely ill. I read in one room, wander to the next, read in there, maybe watch some tv in the living room, etc. I know I'm feeling better when I start to think everything's messy and I clean the entire house.

And...you?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I tore a muscle in my back last spring skating with the roller derby kids. I couldn't be anywhere but flat on my back, and I was full of too many pills to think straight. I couldn't sit up enough to write or type. I guess I read, but I don't remember anything. That sucked.

Normal sick? Read, watch movies, drink tea, eat soup, whine.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sleep... I think she should sleep. I love to sleep! That's what I would do. That or clean...

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sleep or clean? Those are the choices?

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments ...or watch a movie.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) ... or clean a movie.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments No... not that one.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Watch soaps on TV?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Sleep and listen to an mp3 player, won't matter if she falls asleep while listening, she can just pick up listening when she wakes up again.

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) sleep and moan and groan (from discomfort) and maybe a little TV. When I'm sick I have a hard time reading. A hot shower or bath is good too.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I don't watch tv.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
She should get her husband to go to Blockbuster and rent her an entire series on DVD. That way she can watch show after show and never feel like time is passing. I'd recommend Mad Men or maybe Lost.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sopranos!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Entourage

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys!

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Leave It to Beaver!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Lucy

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) So do I!

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments The Tudors... or Six Feet Under.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The Simpsons!

message 21: by Heidi (last edited Feb 03, 2009 09:04AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I didn't see that coming.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Doh!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Six Feet Under while sick... that'll cheer you up! You get to realize you may be sick, but at least your head is still attached.

Lost: You may be sick, but at least you're not stranded on a creepy island.

The Simpsons: You may be sick, but you still have five fingers.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

The L Word: Pretty characters, pretty location, stupid story lines. At least your life makes sense.

message 25: by Heidi (last edited Feb 03, 2009 09:48AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Six Feet Under always inspired cool dreams for me. I miss the series. Actually, after its last show aired is when I decided to give up television. I was entirely too emotionally attached to SFU. Experiencing its loss felt like actual grieving for me. I was in a funk for weeks. The music was great, the characters quirky and interesting; and the story lines weren't always what they seemed to be. I love that the writers would create a "reality" that had a dreamlike execution... and the dream sequences (or visits from Dad/the dead) were true to realistic interpretations. The writers were psychologically savvy.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm with you, H.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think I've ever been that attached to anything on TV, and I watched some of these episodes. TV for me is entertainment(except for the news), and if I'm not enjoying it I'll find something else to do even if it is typically a show that I like. Not sure that I could just give up TV though.

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments The website's pretty cool, too... still.

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My friend always bakes cookies when she's sick. She said the smell makes her feel better/energizes her...

The last time I was home sick, I watched a Shrek marathon - I'd never seen the Shrek movies before then. It was interesting - I slipped in and out of consciousness to a loafy, green, loveable ogre.

message 30: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 03, 2009 12:06PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Jackie apparently decided sleeping was the best course of action:)

I'm making cookies tonight. I got the recipe from Oprah's magazine.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the least manly sentence to emerge from my mouth in recent memory.

message 31: by Sarah (last edited Feb 03, 2009 12:20PM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RA, do you actually speak the words as you type them? Do you move your lips while you read, too?

And if I'm snarky, does that mean I don't get cookies?

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments No cookies for Baltimore! No cookies!

:)

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

Does everyone else get cookies! Hooray for demasculinity!

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I find making cookies quite masculine. Oprah, not so much.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments :( I want cookies.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The Cookie Nazi. "No cookies for you! Get out of my store!"

message 37: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 03, 2009 12:39PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'll post pictures later. Then you can decide if you want them or not. They're...healthier than usual cookies with wheat flour and the like. So they might not be good.

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Why don't you let us decide whether or not they're any good, RA? :)

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yes, I heartily agree. You need a committee to make these decisions easier.

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'd volunteer for a cookie-tasting committee, no objections.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone. I love Lucy, too, by the way.
I've been sleeping a LOT, and watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and sneezing/coughing/blowing my nose, and whining, and eating soup and crackers and rainbow sherbet, which is one of the best things to do when you have a sore throat. :D

I have absolutely no inclination to do any cleaning, but I ran the dishwasher because all the bowls were dirty.

message 42: by Félix (last edited Feb 03, 2009 03:18PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Leave It To Beaver! Oh, wait. We're past that part, aren't we?

message 43: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sorry you are sick today jackie. hope you get feeling better. anything i can do to help? (i am doing the get better dance right now)

when i am sick i am a total wuss. i want to be babied and i moan and whine alot. and read. so sometimes i fake being sick so i can read more and not be bothered. hey, *cough cough* i am feeling a fever now...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Could you bring me a cup of tea, Kevin? Thanks! Oh, and some cookies, while you're up... :D

message 45: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup. cranberry pomegranate tea with a warm macadamia nut cookie

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Buffy! How did we miss that one? You may be sick, but at least you don't have to kill your boyfriend to save the world.

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I loooove rainbow sherbet when I'm sick! I don't ever keep it around the house, though. :-\

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments I agree with you 100% about Six Feet Under. One of TV's best series and I hated the last episode because it made me cry emotionally because of the end of their stories, and selfishly because it was the end of the show.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I still haven't watched the last season. I've been saving it, but I don't know why.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love Buffy, but I'm not sure it's the best thing for me to be watching right now. Crying over Angel isn't helping my sinuses any...

Heidi, I didn't have rainbow sherbet until Chris went and got it for me, along with soup and ginger ale. :D

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.