On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Author: Flannery O'Connor > Walker Percy and Flannery O'Connor

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randall (new)

Randall Luce | 109 comments Both writers were southern, both were Catholic, both dealt with religious themes, often dealing to the mystery of grace.

And yet, they are so different in tone, in setting, and in the types of people they portrayed. Why was that?

Does anybody have access to, or know about, any essays or letters that Percy may have written about O'Connor. I can't believe he didn't write about her, and yet I don't remember ever seen anything.

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin Haynes (JustinHaynes) | 10 comments I'm not sure if he makes mention of her in his correspondence with Shelby Foote but you can buy their correspondence and read through it.

While both were southern and both were Catholic I think both writers were entirely different. It's so easy to assume that all southern writers write about the same things but it's not true. They are influenced by their surroundings. Pat Conroy writes about Charleston and his family. Erskine Caldwell writes about poor tenet farmers in Georgia. You write what you know.

O'Connor and Percy had different upbringings, were of a different sex, and had vastly different writing styles and wanted to talk about different themes. Percy was so much more philosophical and dense than O'Connor was. She, on the other hand, was so visceral and grounded in realism.

In the end both are phenomenal writers I find.