The LDS Reader discussion

Misc > Favorite General Authorites

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (paul_gephart) | 147 comments Mod
I wanted us to have a place to tell stories about our favorite General Authorities and why they mean so much to you.

My favorite living G.A. is President Monson (okay, that was easy). I read "Pathways to Perfection" when I was in high school, and I've always loved his stories and style. Pathways To Perfection Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson by Thomas S. Monson

I recently met Dallin H. Oaks (I helped him find an alarm clock at Walmart, where I work part-time). The Lord's Way by Dallin H. Oaks I have this book, somewhere... Since he's the only living Apostle I have met, I'll choose him.

When I was about 7 years old, Elder LeGrand Richards spoke at our Stake Conference. I don't remember the talk, although it was the first Stake Conference talk I ever listened to attentively, and he was a funny, funny guy! I also got to go shake his hand and meet him briefly, and it had a lasting impact. Marvelous Work and a Wonder by LeGrand Richards

message 2: by Paul (last edited May 17, 2013 08:06AM) (new)

I just learned that Sister Monson passed away this morning. Here is the news story:

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article...

President Monson was a very impressive young man - a bishop at age 23, Stake President at 26, and called to the Quorom of the 12 at 36 (I believe I remember those ages correctly), and he knew when he met Frances that she was "the one" he needed to marry. Clearly, she must have been a remarkable woman to influence him so strongly at that first meeting and throughout their subsequent lives.

message 3: by Paul (new)

I should have mentioned in my initial post on this thread that the only other Apostle I have personally met was Elder James E. Faust (at that time) whom I met as a missionary at a Stake Conference in Caldwell, New Jersey. I'm glad he was called to the First Presidency, because you get to hear from them so frequently, and I always loved his wisdom and testimony.

Stories from My Life by James E. Faust Stories From My Life and Finding Light In A Dark World by James E. Faust Finding Light in a Dark World are among the books written by him that I would like to read.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 5 comments Hey Paul, greetings from a Jersey boy. I grew up going to youth dances in Caldwell, and belonged to the Short Hills Ward, then the Short Hills Second ward after it split when I was a teenager back in the 70's. haven't been back in decades, but it's still fun to run in to someone who knows the area.

Greg

message 5: by Paul (new)

That's awesome, Greg! Short Hills Ward was my first area (although there was only one when I was there in 1989, so I don't know what happened to the 2nd ward). I haven't been back to Jersey since I came home in 1991, but I'd love to go sometime.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Since my last post, I was able to meet Elder Quentin L. Cook. He was in the same graduating class with my mother, and I met him at my father's viewing. (Not such a happy occasion, but it was great to meet him briefly).

My wife cleans a house near where Elder Bednar lives, and she said that he smiles and waves and is a friendly guy when she drives past, just working in his yard like the rest of us.