Writers Block Battering Ram discussion

Dying Plots > Marisol's attempts

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

Amy (Runawaymarbles) | 329 comments Mod
So my plot was something along the lines of a child of orthodox jewish parents who are scared to death of christians.

Main character (female, name to be decided) is a little bit of a poser- anyway. She's writing a book throughout the whole thing, but that's not really important. She meets another kid (female, name to be decided) when they are forced to do a project together in school. Other kid (Probably to be named Mica, but I'm not sure) is not Jewish- parents are nto happy. Main character goes to a Jewish school.

Anyway, they wind up as friends (predictable) and thats as far as I am

message 2: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments If you need Jewish names/information I'll be glad to help you out.

message 3: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

are you Jewish?

message 4: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Yes, Orthodox.

message 5: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

yah, but everything I write is coming out like a chick-flick. grr.

message 6: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

hey Sheva, is t here a general jewish consensus on Abortion, gay marrige, and all the other things Christians are raising a hullabullo about?

message 7: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments I know that most religious Jews are against abortion and gay marriage, but it does vary.

message 8: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

Thanks.

message 9: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments You're welcome. I can't wait to read the story!

message 10: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

gurg. Are there any Jewish holidays in March?

message 11: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

And what year is it on their callendar? I can't find it on google, for some reason.

message 12: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments It's the year 5769. As for holidays in March, there's Purim.

message 13: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

And what is involved in Purim? (We were going to study it in social studies after the holocaust, but I don't think we're going to. And I'm woefully ignorany of all religions, having been an athiest my whole life.)

and how do you pronounce Purim?

and how does being Jewish affect your life? like, how often do you think about it, and what do you think, and stuff?

hell, maybe I should just convert for a few months. But my parents would hit the ceiling. Well, probably not. BUt still.

message 14: by Leiko (new)

Leiko Xantara (Arrogant_Protector) I don't think converting would be good. I've been a presbyterian my whole life, and still have no clue what that means. Religions are hard to understand.

message 15: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

I was kidding. I have the Shevasaurus for anything I need to know. :P

message 16: by Leiko (new)

Leiko Xantara (Arrogant_Protector) sorry.

message 17: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments What is involved in Purim: On the 13th of Adar (a Jewish month) we fast (don't eat or drink) from sun-up to sun-down, which is called Taanas Esther. (Ta-Ah-Naas Esther.) At sun-down, everyone goes to they synogogue and hears the Megillah (meh-geeeelah) read, which is the story of Purim. (Poor-im) It's a little like Halloween, because the kids dress up. And then there's...well, a ton of other stuff. There's a Wikipedia article on it that goes into detail.

message 18: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Being Jewish affects my life a lot, but I don't think about it much, because it's been a part of me for so long. Sometimes I do end up thinking that it would be easier to not be Jewish, because then I'd have more freedom in clothes, and activities, and schools, and camps, and food, and a lot other stuff.

message 19: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

can you elaborate a little on the clothes, activites, and schools part? and- I should know this- what about the food? Isn't there somthing about pork? And does fasting make you cranky, or is it just a natural part of life?

message 20: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

And yes, I am a very self centered person for not knowing this already.

What are the Jewish month's like? How many days? how many in a year?

message 21: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Clothes-knees covered, no pants, collarbone covered, and elbows covered. (Actually, I wear short sleeves. But no tank tops.) If I go swimming, I have to wear a big t-shirt over my bathing suit. I think that it would be nice to wear jeans or sleeveless shirts once in a while...

Activities-The Jewish Sabbath is from sundown on Friday, to sundown on Saturday, and Orthodox Jews don't drive, use electronics, turn on lights, tear anything, write or erase stuff, or cook. There are 49 things we can't do in all (and then each of those 49 things have been elaborated on by rabbis...). That pretty much cuts out all Saturday/Friday night activities. And there are some things that aren't considered "right" for a Jewish girl to do, like talking to boys, dying their hair, reading non-Jewish books, listening to non-Jewish music, or learning about other religions/mythology. (I can already see my dreams of a degree in Classics going out the window...) Actually, a lot of religious Jews have very negative attitudes toward non-Jews in general. (Which gets me really annoyed, because I have several non-Jewish friends.)

Schools-My parents only want me to go to Jewish private schools, and a lot of them (especially where I live) aren't very good. They also want me to go to seminary, which is like college, but centered around Jewish subjects and in Israel.

Fasting makes me extrodinarily cranky, which sucks because there are a lot of fasts.

message 22: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments There are 12 months in the Jewish year, unless it's a leap year in which case there are 13 months-Adar 1 and Adar 2:

Nisan
Iyar
Sivan
Tamuz
Av
Elul
Tishrei
Cheshvan
Kislev
Tevet
Shevat
Adar

(Nisan, the head of the year, starts in September, by the way.)

We go by the lunar calendar, which means each new day starts at sun-down. There are either 29 or 30 days in a month. Jewish holidays are always on the same day-aka Chanukah is always on the 25 of Kislev, unlike most American holidays, aka Thanksgiving is always the third Tuesday in November. (Actually, I think that's the wrong date for Thanksgiving. But whatever...)

message 23: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Food-all food has to be kosher. If it's packaged, it has to have a kosher symbol on it-for example, a "U" inside an "O" which stands for Orthodox Union, meaning that they made sure none non-kosher ingredients are in there. You're right, we don't eat pork. Animals have to have split hooves and chew their cud to be called kosher, and fish have to have fins and scales (so no seafood). Most fruits and vegetables don't have to be labeled kosher, but there are exceptions. Lettuce has to be checked very thoroughly for bugs. Also, no eating milk and meat together. Houses have a separate set of dishes for each-meat is called fleshig, and milk is called milchig. That's kosher in a nutshell.

message 24: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Sorry, I wrote a lot...

message 25: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:13PM) (new)

ok. Good to know. So, is the clothes thing just for school, or full time? and trust me; blue jeans are not allt hey're cracked up to be. mostly, they're tight and uncomfortable- but that's just me.

*makes note*

kosher, clothes, friday night and saturday...

do you write down January-December as well, or just the Nisan-Adar?

oh, yah. Jews on global warming. Is there a general consensus?

message 26: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments The clothes thing is full time.

I'm assuming you mean do Jews use the Gregorian calendar? Yes, but mostly the Hebrew one.

General consensus-the EXTREMELY religious Jews believe it doesn't exist, but outside of them, not really.

message 27: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

and yes, I should know some of this stuff. But I don't. I know some of the storys, but I'm always getting it mixed with the Bible. Is the story of Lott in both? It was his wife who turned into salt, right? or am I totally out of it?

message 28: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Yes, it was his wife that was turned into a pillar of salt.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention is that almost all religious Jews speak Hebrew (and some speak Yiddish). (heh...I'm giving you waaaay too much information. Sorry about that.)

message 29: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

I know that. Do you speak it at school, or just when you have to?

message 30: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments For some classes I have to.

message 31: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

which ones?

message 32: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Navi, which is studying the books of prophets, Chumash, which is studying the Bible, Ivrit, which is modern Hebrew, and Parshah, which is a weekly chapter from the Bible.

message 33: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

for some reason I didn't see that post. Huh.

so, when you write the date, would you write '2/6/09' or....?

message 34: by Sheva (last edited Feb 06, 2009 10:07AM) (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments It would be the Hebrew date: something like א' תשרי
or the day, then the month.

message 35: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

Any common sayings? and is what you just posted feb 6th, or something else?

message 36: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

Do Jewish people really say 'oy vey' or is that just a stereotype?

message 37: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

yah. I'm trying to write a book about stuff I know nothing about. Glad I found Sheva the Helpful.

message 38: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

(deleted irrelevant comments :) ) Quite impressive. Every little detail counts.

Would they have dances at a Orthodox school?

message 39: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments No, all (or the majority) of Orthodox schools are girls only/boys only. In the younger grades (up to grade 3 in some cases) the classes are co-ed, but after that they're split up.

Common sayings:

Nu?-well?

Oy/oy vey-yes, people do actually say this.

Baruch Hashem-Thank G-d, usually in response to "How are you?" or in a situation where one would say "Thank G-d".

Shalom Alechem-a greeting, usually used by older, very religious men. Replied to with "Alechem Shalom".

Um...there are some more, but that's all I can think of right now. And what I posted before wasn't February 6th, it was just the first date I thought of.

Today is the Ninth of Tevet and it's Monday already according to the Jewish calendar.

message 40: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Sorry, it's the 13 of Shevat. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that...

message 41: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

Thanks!

and like I said earlier- do you write 13 of Shevat or February 7th on school papers and stuff?

message 42: by Sheva (last edited Feb 09, 2009 01:41PM) (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments 13 of Shevat for Hebrew stuff, and February 7th for English.

message 43: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

I know. Do you write both on school papers, when you need to write the date?

how many days per month?

message 44: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments No, it's one or the other.

There are twenty nine or thirty days in a month.

message 45: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

okay. gotcha. about how many kids does the average Orthodox family have? birth control, or no? (Cuz Catholics and Mormons have tons.)

message 46: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments A lot. There's a commandment "P'ru Urivu" or "Be fruitful and multiply" which some Jews take very seriously.... (So no birth control)

The average number is 4-7, although there are definitely some families with more and some with less.

message 47: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

how many sibilings do you have?

message 48: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

is the name 'Naomi' really hebrew? because I found it on a list of Hebrew names, but it doesn't sound Hebrew. Not that I'd know- it just didn't sound like the rest of the names on the list.

message 49: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (ShevaDas) | 111 comments Yes, it is. The name "Naomi" comes from the Book of Ruth.

I have four siblings.

message 50: by Amy, Writer Blocked in Chief (new)

oh, right. The Naomi I know is Jewish... *taps head* I'm smart like that.

four, huh? Is the name 'sarah' really as common as it's supposed to be?

and what happens in the Book of Ruth?

« previous 1