Book Junkies discussion

Archives > Have you ever hit "The Wall"

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellese (new)

Ellese (FaithfulUmbrella) | 54 comments You know what I mean, us Book Junkies all get it (or at least I think we do O.o)

It is like writer's block but with reading. I read, and read and gobble up books like delicious chocolate chip cookies, but then sometimes I go through a dry spell. I seem to be experiencing one of those right now. I have so many books (it's kind of overwhelming actually) and I can't read them. Two of which are contest winners...oi...

Anyway, now that my diatribe is out of the way :) Have you ever hit "The Wall"? Or a Dryspell?

message 2: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Yeap!!! I totally understand what you mean Ellese... except thank God, they don't last long.
For me it really depends on how tired I am and how much "business" I've got going on at a particular time.

I hope my next dry spell doesn't come for a while, 'cause (especially after becoming an active participant on goodreads) my book list has grown immensely.

message 3: by Kimmel (last edited Sep 07, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

Kimmel Ciel | 12 comments Oh God Ellese I think we all do get it. I've just gotten over one recently. I would get into one of those when I encounter some boring book that no matter how hard I try I can't finish. Getting bored with one book for a long time leads to getting bored with reading in general. It will stop when I can pick up a book that is interesting enough to get me through.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Oh goodness yes!!
It sucks!
There are times when I pick up some great books and when I try to read them I can't read them anymore!

message 5: by David (last edited Sep 09, 2012 01:13PM) (new)

David Merrill | 18 comments I guess I don't really experience what I would call a dry spell. For me it's just a matter of sometimes my reading emphasis shifts from books to comic books. I've usually got at least one book going during those times and it may take me a couple weeks to finish it since most of my reading time goes to comics.

As far as boring books, I just don't finish them. I'm very quick to jump off a book, even if I'm through 100 pages of it, if something else grabs me. I may come back to it years later and read it straight through.

The thing that happens to me is I sometimes have trouble settling on a book. I may go for 1 or 2 weeks reading the beginnings of books before I finally settle into one of them and finish it. Sometimes it's just that I need to switch genres and it takes a few books to figure that out.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Faize) | 1090 comments Mod
Sometimes, even when I'm really, really into a book, I just can't sit and read through it all in one go. I need a break, to stretch, watch some TV, eat a nice chocolatey snack, etc.

As much as I love reading, too much and you get bogged down. Same with chocolate, sadly. Really, too much of anything, regardless of what it is, is bad.

message 7: by Karen (last edited Sep 11, 2012 11:54PM) (new)

Karen (seaayre) | 40 comments I get it when I work too many hours. I do proofing and copy editing on a freelance basis these days so I have a more flexible schedule than I used to when I worked daily in an office doing it. After a day of reading (and I don't mean fun stuff--I am talking about textbooks and specialty medical journals--I didn't even want to read the TV Guide. :)Freelancing has been better for my recreational reading, but not for my pocketbook. lol

message 8: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Rae | 3 comments I just came out of one! I hadn't sat down and read a book straight through in about 2 months, and now I can't get off my kindle again!

message 9: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I've never really had a dry spell with reading. But between work and family, reading is slotted into very narrow slots, so I'm always looking forward to my reading time! The only time I don't read during my slotted reading times is when I have a migraine...like yesterday. Just couldn't focus.

message 10: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) I love how all of us are always so excited to read. Even if its for ten minutes.