Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Don't count books marked as "to-read" on a member's book count

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new)

C. (Caio) | 7 comments In some places (at least on the friends list, perhaps somewhere else too) a number shows up next to a user's name indicating how many books they have on their shelves. I think it would be more intuitive and useful if this number did not include books marked as "to-read". As it is now, I can have 15 books I've already read and 100 books I want to read (and perhaps don't even own) and it'll say I have 115 books!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Actually, your count is off. It says you have shelved 151 books, when you have shelved only 147.

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 508 comments You do have 115 books. You have 115 books on all of your shelves.

In any case, I have my "to-read" books spread across multiple exclusive shelves categorized by genre. Excluding the "to-read" shelf won't do much there.

message 4: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 116 comments and I don't own all of the books in my read shelf. some of it was borrowed books, some of it was already lost or given to charity or friends or somebody else.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments What about people who DO own all the books on their TBR shelf? They shouldn't count them as being their books?

message 6: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments Becky wrote: "What about people who DO own all the books on their TBR shelf? They shouldn't count them as being their books?"

I'd be one of these people. All the books on my To-read shelf are books I've bought and waiting to be read.

message 7: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 06, 2012 08:04PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Becky wrote: "What about people who DO own all the books on their TBR shelf? They shouldn't count them as being their books?"

Yes, I own all of the books on my To Read shelf. I've given away nearly all of the books on my Read shelf, or they were borrowed from the library. The number of my All shelf bears no relation to the number of books that are mine.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments I know quite a few who only list the books they already own... I don't have that kind of discipline. I have Book A.D.D. Ooooh SHINY! *add* ;)

message 9: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments Becky wrote: "I know quite a few who only list the books they already own... I don't have that kind of discipline. I have Book A.D.D. Ooooh SHINY! *add* ;)"

lol - I am the same, but I have a shelf called "to buy or bought" for those. Books I want to buy or have bought but haven't received yet. Also, a "maybe" shelf for books that caught my attention but I'm not sure about. The maybe shelf is the only shelf I have where I don't physically own the books. :)

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments My To-Read shelves are ones that I own physically or electronically... My Wishlist shelf is the Ooh, Shiny one. I should just rename it that and be done with it. LOL

message 11: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments And I'll name my "maybe" shelf SQUIRREL!!! ;) (Up movie reference)

message 12: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 116 comments ❂ Jennifer wrote: "Becky wrote: "What about people who DO own all the books on their TBR shelf? They shouldn't count them as being their books?"

I'd be one of these people. All the books on my To-read shelf are boo..."

me too. if I want to read or interested in a book but not have it yet, i put them in my wishlist shelf.

message 13: by Moloch (new)

Moloch I'd like a feature to exclude certain shelves from statistics: my "to-read" is for books I actually own, but I also have a "wishlist"... It's useful, but I don't "like" that the books in the wishlist are counted with the others, so I kind of agree with the OP.

Elizabeth (Alaska) The All shelf is the number of books you've shelved. Why should that change? It isn't "your" books and was never intended to be. If you borrowed books from the library, would you be complaining that the number on your Read shelf is wrong?

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (peptastic) | 15 comments On librarything I have owned, wishlist and read but unowned. My toreads on gr is simply books I want to read. I do own some of them.
The bookcount isn't meant to deceive anyone. Just look at the person's read shelf for how many books they' ve read. It's probably not accurate anyway. I add books I forgot to add all the time. It's never complete.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8934 comments I like the all shelf, and I like all books being counted. It's a simple step to go to members' profile pages to check just their read if that is what's important to some.

message 17: by Kim (last edited Sep 07, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) | 396 comments I use To-Read as my owned TBR books, and Need-to-Get for my wishlist, which many are then further shelved as Coming-Attractions and Library, to use as "shopping lists." I don't keep my Read books. I know I've read more than what is on my Read shelves, prior to 2008. Who can remember that far back, unless, you've kept a journal, which I never thought of, but I wish I did.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I think it's fine as is but I do know one way it could be handled - another column (like currently you can exclude some shelves from getting recommendations-which those of us with did-not-finish and ugh-how-horrid types of shelves appreciate) to check to exclude a shelf from book count.

Except for ridiculous people (I am hypocritically not looking at my freebie and sample-to-read shelves) like one I unfriended for having thousands of to reads and absolutely flooding my update feed marking more -- it's useful seeing what books were marked as to read. That's another indicator to me for similar reading tastes and sometimes the way I spot a new TBR of my own.

message 19: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (PolymathicMonkey) | 178 comments Deborah (Debbie Rice) wrote: "I do know one way it could be handled - another column (like currently you can exclude some shelves from getting recommendations) to check to exclude a shelf from book count."

This was my exact thought also. It'd be a mess to automatically have GR exclude things, but I definitely understand why people would want that, and think having the option to choose what you want counted on your total would be handy. Granted if most others left it alone, it wouldn't really help much, but still.

message 20: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
That means adding another column to a table, which is not an insignificant thing to do. And for a feature that probably less than 1% of users would have any interest in.

message 21: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (BethALM) I'm a library user. I own very few of my to-read or my read books.

However..

I do agree that the "read" shelf amount is a more useful number than the "all" shelf.

message 22: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 508 comments Beth A. wrote: "I do agree that the "read" shelf amount is a more useful number than the "all" shelf."

It wouldn't be a perfect solution for everyone if the goal was to capture what a person has actually read. I have a separate, exclusive shelf for all the graphic novels I've read because I keep them apart from the books I've read. I have 176 books shelved there that I've read. And I've seen people say they do similar things for their reference books, cookbooks, etc.

I also agree with the above statement that finding out what a person intends to read can tell me just as much about them as the books that they have already read. I would like to know about someone's overall reading activity, both current and intended. More specific numbers about what's on their "read" shelf is just one click away, and surely by this point nearly everyone's browsers have tabs, so you can right-click and open a profile in a new window if you didn't want to navigate away from where you are to see it?

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments Becky wrote: "I know quite a few who only list the books they already own... I don't have that kind of discipline. I have Book A.D.D. Ooooh SHINY! *add* ;)"

I'm like you Becky. I've also turned into a hoarder. O_o

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments rivka wrote: "That means adding another column to a table, which is not an insignificant thing to do. And for a feature that probably less than 1% of users would have any interest in."

Lol, did not say was a good idea or that I wanted to see it done. Just that that was the only option I could think of.

There's never going to be consensus on how even default shelves are used (and should not be since first and foremost goodreads is supposed to allow members to track, catalogue and categorize books however they find useful).

I'm sniggering thinking about how annoyed the one serial to-read marking person I unfriended is going to like all the emails now that goodreads announced on feedback thread that you get emailed when a book on your to-read shelf is released.

message 25: by Stephmartin71 (last edited Sep 08, 2012 11:29AM) (new)

Stephmartin71 | 8 comments I want to add my 1000 plus books to my goodreads account to both update my account accurately and to keep better track of my books. These are books that I've bought (over several years)as they released, knowing how hard it is to buy bk#1 from a series, years later then it released. I lost 5yrs reading time due to death&lawsuit messes but I kept buying my books when they released, knowing 1 day life will get back to normal with time to read, Like now and I'm so unhappy with the choices you guys give us for shelfing my books. This is one of my favorite places to showcase what I'm reading, now that it is connected with facebook, twitter & blogger. To show 1000 plus books as "To Read" is totally insane! And now I can't use this check box in our settings area for my facebook updates without 1000 bks affecting my updates. None of these books qualify for the "Read" shelf, since none of them have been read, but that's really the only choice of the 3 to choose from because the only other choice I have is "Reading" and that's the 1 update I really want to keep right, to show up in my blog/facebook of what I'm actually really reading now. I created a subfolder, like the FAQs page helped with,thinking, hey I can track all my books there instead, sorting and/or duplicate issues, no biggie... because I can at least keep track of all my books & not carry around my 5lb bible list everywhere, Buuutt I can't even do that because I missed somewhere that these books I add to my new "keeper" shelf also means that those books also has to stay on 1 of those 3, original lists, all of which doesn't work for me. The only way to make the shelves work for me is to add all the books to the "Read" shelf and the books not Rated are the books that I didn't read it. But this creates a negative result because my friends & new friends who look at my profile & shelves, assumes things by how I shelved my books. Worse: bloggers and authors asking for reviews because I shelfed 10 bks as "Read" on its' release dates. Really?? Please, Please, Please fix this so I can add all my books to a shelf that doesn't have to also be connected to one of those 3 shelves.

message 26: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments Stephmartin71 wrote: "I want to add my 1000 plus books to my goodreads account to both update my account accurately and to keep better track of my books. These are books that I've bought (over several years)as they rel..."

You already can. You just need to make another exclusive shelf. If you want that to be your keeper shelf then you can, or create a new shelf instead. Basically you need to create a shelf, then go to My Books and click on edit next to your header for Bookshelves on the left hand side.

Now you can take the shelf you just created and click on the exclusive box next to it. Now this shelf will function exactly the same as the Read, Currently reading, and To Be Read shelves. You will be able to choose between the 4 shelves to put something on, rather than just the 3.

message 27: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments Stephmartin71 wrote: "Really?? Okay, I'm going to go try to do this because I started adding this morning and I couldn't make it work. My technological skills sucks. Thank you so much for repling to this."

No problem! If you get stuck feel free to post again, someone will be more than happy to assist I'm sure.

message 28: by Stephmartin71 (new)

Stephmartin71 | 8 comments Really?? Okay, I'm going to go try to do this because I started adding this morning and I couldn't make it work. My technological skills sucks. Thank you so much for repling to this.

Stefani wrote: "Stephmartin71 wrote: "I want to add my 1000 plus books to my goodreads account to both update my account accurately and to keep better track of my books. These are books that I've bought (over sev..."

message 29: by Stephmartin71 (new)

Stephmartin71 | 8 comments Okay, I think I did it right but after doing this I realize that I have another question. What happens or what do I need to do?, if a book was read & rated but is also part of my "keepers" shelf. If I want to see say example..... JR Wards angel series. I've read 1&2 but not the 3rd. Do I have to go back and forth between the 2 shelves when looking to see if I have the 3rd book?

message 30: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments Hmm...you could rename the exclusive shelf to be something like "books I own". But have the "keepers" shelf be non-exclusive, so let's use your example...

The first and second books in the series would be on your "read" shelf, and the nonexclusive "keepers" shelf. Then when you want to see if you own the 3rd one, you would look on your exlclusive "books I own" shelf, so you know what you do own it but haven't read it yet.

That might work a bit better for your scenario than having the keeper shelf be exclusive.

For my example, I have a keepers shelf too, but its nonexclusive so I can have a book on that shelf AND on my To Read, Reading, or Read shelf.

message 31: by Stephmartin71 (new)

Stephmartin71 | 8 comments Again Thank you for your help Stefani :) I'll go try that and see what next question will get prompted :) lol I also went to frined you, I hope you don't mind? I'm a pretty boring person. Instead of reading my book I'm playing here instead. I've got way too many distractions still going on, I call myself trying to multi-task....not working too good lol. i won't take it personal if you don't accept my request but I do thank you for your help. Now to copy and paste your directions so I can follow through with your directions :) I'm sure I'll be back with anothe questionb

Stefani wrote: "Hmm...you could rename the exclusive shelf to be something like "books I own". But have the "keepers" shelf be non-exclusive, so let's use your example...

The first and second books in the series..."

message 32: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
Deborah (Debbie Rice) wrote: "I'm sniggering thinking about how annoyed the one serial to-read marking person I unfriended is going to like all the emails now that goodreads announced on feedback thread that you get emailed when a book on your to-read shelf is released."

Opting out is pretty simple. Also, if most of the books have already been released, they won't see many emails.

message 33: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 116 comments ♆ BookAddict wrote: "Becky wrote: "I know quite a few who only list the books they already own... I don't have that kind of discipline. I have Book A.D.D. Ooooh SHINY! *add* ;)"

I'm like you Becky. I've also turned into a hoarder. O_o"

and I'm just glad that there are some kindred soul out there...^__^

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8934 comments Most of my to-read books are published already, some hundreds of years ago. I'm delighted to have yet another way to be reminded about the brand new ones.