Q&A with Laurie R. King discussion

Other Holmes Authors

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob | 1 comments After reading Doyle's canon a few times, I started to branch out and try out other author's takes on Holmes. I can say with certainty that yours is my favorite incarnation of Holmes. My question is, what other authors and/or titles do you like that are out there?

message 2: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) Ys, let me second this point. After getting hooked on Russell, I tried reading other published Holmes follow-ups as well as the originals. Never made it through any of them.

Russell, herself, is clearly the key. Kudos to you, Laurie, for creating her!

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike  Davis (mldavis2) | 14 comments Yes, Ms. King is the first non-ACD author I've read for Holmes novels. As an aside, I have compiled a list of non-Doyle novels and collections into which I plan to delve once I finish Garment of Shadows. My list exceeds 500 works, so there is a lot of interest in so-called 'pastiches'.

However, based on what I've read, anyone asking me for a recommendation will be sent to begin with The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

message 4: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 25 comments I can't remember where, but LRK once said she had liked Michael Chabon's presentation of an aged Holmes in The Final Solution. I thought the aged Holmes there really seemed like the way ACD's (and LRK's) Holmes would be at an advanced age. I didn't like as much the aged Holmes in A Slight Trick Of The Mind.

message 5: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Flynn | 24 comments Lyndsay Faye's "Dust and Shadows" is an awesome pastiche that has Holmes investigating the Whitechapel murders.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1 comments I recently finished Mitch Cullin's "A Slight Trick of The Mind" which I found to be a fascinating spin on an elderly Holmes and highly recommend. Caleb Carr wrote "The Italian Secretary" which I also enjoyed to a somewhat lesser extent. "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" stands far above those two for me.

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (LaurieRKing) | 103 comments Mod
I don't read many pastiches, since it's all I can do to keep track of the Conan Doyle stories and I am afraid of incorporating plot points and characters from non-Doylean works.

Although yes, I did enjoy Michael Chabon's novel. And for very different reasons, Michael Dibdin's dark Ripper tale, The Last Sherlock Holmes Story.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 22 comments Mike wrote: "I recently finished Mitch Cullin's "A Slight Trick of The Mind" which I found to be a fascinating spin on an elderly Holmes and highly recommend. Caleb Carr wrote "The Italian Secretary" which I a..."

I liked Caleb Carr's work. It is so totally differnt from the focus of Ms. King's series.

And I did not know about some of the works mentioned in these posts. Thanks for the suggestions. I do really enjoy reading about Sherlock Holmes. And I like to read about Doyle's viewpoint on his character.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 22 comments Sorry for the liking Caleb Carr. And then the next sentence. I am trying to write less as my notes are too long, but sometimes I condense to much.

I simply meant that Ms. King's work takes a totally different focus from all the other authors and it is especially enjoyable because of how she does that.