Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Andre Norton's republished books in "Moon Magic" series

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Sep 06, 2012 02:43PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Publisher's Baen is currently publishing books, hardcopy and ebooks.

Baen is calling a series of her books "Moonsinger Saga." (example from publisher website: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1481-moon...) and hardcopy books for sale at bookseller sites we're not supposed to be using for information show series title as "Moonsinger series"

The same books showing at goodreads in this series: http://www.goodreads.com/series/49194...

I remember different publishers calling by both series names so do not want to delete "moon magic" as a series.

I do want to add another name for series "Moonsinger Saga" but wanted to check in group before adding duplicate series name.

(currently the other publisher working with author's confusing estate also has some being handled via Premier Digital Publishing but I did not see this series of books with them, probably because already negotiated out to Baen)

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (BethJustBeth) | 1586 comments I would imagine that would be appropriate, since they're being republished under a different series name...I wouldn't think deleting the first one would be appropriate, since there are readers who are familiar with that name. JMHO.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Well, technically, first publisher called the series "Moonsinger Saga" and then subsequent changes made and now back.

Off to add!

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments No, that's not correct; please don't create new series unless the numbering has changed. If there are multiple names for a series, list them in the series description.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32707 comments Mod
Cait wrote: "No, that's not correct; please don't create new series unless the numbering has changed. If there are multiple names for a series, list them in the series description."

I agree with our series expert.

message 6: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Sep 06, 2012 07:39PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments I see someone edited series description to say also Moonsinger -- and someone put in Free Traders as well.

I'm not sure it was ever called the free traders series even though a couple of characters were free traders. Or that Andre Norton is only author with a series called free traders -- but I am not editing anything.

The only thing I am positive of is that I know different publishers had called it "Moon Magic" and "Moonsinger Saga", was referred to verbally at cons (and author's local bookstores) as just "Moonsinger" and that, unlike the authors other free trader books, it took place on Planet Yiktor or had main characters native to Planet Yiktor. Solar Queen and other books I thought were the free trader series. (I did see a google entry with one of the moon books as free traders but not sure of source)

So probably fine as is.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (BethJustBeth) | 1586 comments That makes much more sense.

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments One of these days I'll have the time to sit down and get all of Norton's series to interlock properly, I like to believe.... :)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Maybe after the estate mess gets all untangled, the legitimately published new releases might clarify things.

I don't think even the author, at time of writing, was necessarily doing a series--certainly not definite series name and numbering--even using some of the same worldbuilding/settings/characters. Just not how was done back then unlike today where author's are likely contracted to do x number of books in a specified series. I can remember how impossible it was to find out what number in series a book was pre-internet and pre-goodreads days.